Teaching English

moonoi

Hi All

I've agreed to help teach my gfs' brother english. He is currently studying at high school.

My problem is I've never taught english to anyone before, so I'd appreciate any hints and tips you can give me (lesson planning etc etc) :o I know its not going to be an easy task, but I want to try and to do it properly!

thanks in advance

kc

Your question is a kind of big one. I think you should get to a good bookstore (like Kinokuniya) and buy a nice beginner's TEFL conversation book (the yellow Interchange is an example) and use that as a starting point for lessons- remember that the materials in the book are exercises and that you can extend them as necessary.

And as a general rule- assume that the guy speaks about as much English as you do Swahili. You may find that when he gets used to your accent/teaching he picks things up more quickly, or maybe not. Use gestures, sign language, pictures, and modelling to explain things rather than verbal explanations or instructions (which will be 90% gibberish to your student). Assume a much lower functioning level than you even think possible until you've assessed just how much he understands.

Then come back and ask some more specific questions! :o

Your question is a kind of big one.  I think you should get to a good bookstore (like Kinokuniya) and buy a nice beginner's TEFL conversation book (the yellow Interchange is an example) and use that as a starting point for lessons- remember that the materials in the book are exercises and that you can extend them as necessary.

And as a general rule- assume that the guy speaks about as much English as you do Swahili.  You may find that when he gets used to your accent/teaching he picks things up more quickly, or maybe not.  Use gestures, sign language, pictures, and modelling to explain things rather than verbal explanations or instructions (which will be 90% gibberish to your student).  Assume a much lower functioning level than you even think possible until you've assessed just how much he understands.

Then come back and ask some more specific questions!  :o

Cheers thanks for the pointer, I'll take a look. I know he is in the top 5 in his class at highschool (its also the only subject he is interested in other than sports) so that should make things easier I guess!

kc

As a general rule, Thai students will be well drilled in English Grammar. But this would have been done with Thai teachers.

Probably what this guy needs is practice with practical English. This would be mainly pronunciation with possibly some writing thrown in.

Don't get in a knot with trying to teach the technical side of things - just get him practicising repeating short sentences over and over again.

As a general rule, Thai students will be well drilled in English Grammar.

Drilled, perhaps, but only to the extent that they can vaguely recite some half-memorized, convoluted rule, dictated to them by their Thai teachers. Most of them have little to no concept of how to actually USE or APPLY what they have ‘learned’. There is a common myth that Thai students are 'good' at grammar. Generally, they are not, as witnessed by their dismal performance in international examinations, and their often mangled efforts at trying to reproduce the language. The notions of tense, plurals or verb conjugation, can elude them completely, and they will switch-off with glazed eyes at any attempt to try to get them to use the language more accurately. Not sanuk. And this is what will keep so many of them at pre-intermediate level (at best) until Armageddon. Learning a language to any degree of proficiency requires a level of dedication and hard-work for which Thais are generally neither celebrated, nor particularly suited.

Edited by Rumpole

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All

I've agreed to help teach my gfs' brother english. He is currently studying at high school.

My problem is I've never taught english to anyone before, so I'd appreciate any hints and tips you can give me (lesson planning etc etc) :o I know its not going to be an easy task, but I want to try and to do it properly!

thanks in advance

kc

The basics for language teaching is to asses first the levels of your student (the brother of your gf that is). Check his abilities in the different areas of English. Speaking, Reading, Listening, writing (includes grammar) and his comprehension of the topics. You can do that by formulating your own exam. If you don't know how to make one, you can buy TOEFL or TOEIC test booklet and they usually give back the results. Second, needs assestments, ask your student what he wants to learn and from there you can plan your lesson incorporating the your own ideas that might be helpful to your students. Make your lessons fun and interesting and its important for your student to be motivated... ask his interests and such. I hope this helps. Good Luck!