Legaly Married In Thailand

My wife has heard that even though we have legaly married in thailand via british embassy, registry office etc says that if I wanted to I could marry again in England. She says that I need to take the translated wedding certificate to a registry office over here in England for show them that we are married. I have never known anybody have to do this before and infact when I was married to a Thai lady before I never did this.

Is this necessary?? I think no.

Thx

Nick

Believe you have registered your marriage at a District Office here in Thailand - you can register the same marriage with UK authorities I believe (UK Embassy is one avenue for this but a fee involved) and believe the only advantage is easier proof of marriage (locally in UK) is available if normal Thai marriage certificate/translation was not accepted. Have not seen any reports of it being needed however.

At this end a UK marriage can be registered by translation into Thai and certification by UK Embassy and then MFA legalization and finally recording at District Office. This is required for those using extension of stay for Thai spouse so is often done.

you can have the ceremony blessed in the UK nothing else, you are legally married by the law of Thailand which England accepts.

All you can do is as above, you can deposit a copy of your wedding certificate at the GRO (General Records Office), this is in case it is ever required in the UK, for anything. It costs money to do this via the Embassy. Not worth the hassle in my opinion.

Thx for the prompt answers guys. So as I told my wife we are legally married and it is recognized in English law. So even if i wanted to marry again over here I couldn't because I am registered as already married.

I do wish puying Thai wouldn't listen to each others gossip lol

Thanks again

Nick

I do wish puying Thai wouldn't listen to each others gossip lol

You need to understand that there are equivalent forums to this one for Thai people. Most posts to thaivisa.com are by men and most posts to the other sites are by women.

It's not gossip, it's their attempt at getting an authorative answer. My wife read on these "ladies forums" that a Thai marriage is not recognised in the UK unless it's been stamped at the UK embassy, because some poster over there wrote that they took their marriage certificate to the embassy.

Well, the wife is correct in that nickynalack could marry someone else in the UK (or anywhere else) as the bureaurcracy there does not know about him being married.

Of course he will be asked, if there are any impediments to marriage (like already being married), but if he chooses not to mention his marriage in Thailand, he could marry again and become a bigamist.

That would make him a criminal though and the second marriage would be null and void once the truth comes out, only his "second" wife, had she been unaware of the situation, may have certain claims towards nickynalacks pension.