Wich Galaxy Tab Should I Buy?

Hi, I was planning to get a tablet that can replace my laptop. I looked at the new Ipad, the wife got, and found it cumbersome.

I need something that works with office applications, such as Word or excel.

I need to use a wifi / network printer.

I also would like to be able to simply transfer .avi videos and mp3 files easy way.

I hate itunes.

I am now using SGII and can do all I need with it, just not efficiently, because of the screen sieze.

Buying the 7.7 seems silly, as it is somewhat smallish.

So I am tending towards 8.9 or 10.1.

Any advise, including where best to buy in Bangkok would be welcome.

I am not limited to Samsung, but definately dislike ipads.

Is there anything out here with ICS, 3G, SDslot?

Thanks

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Hi, I was planning to get a tablet that can replace my laptop. I looked at the new Ipad, the wife got, and found it cumbersome.

I need something that works with office applications, such as Word or excel.

I need to use a wifi / network printer.

I also would like to be able to simply transfer .avi videos and mp3 files easy way.

I hate itunes.

I am now using SGII and can do all I need with it, just not efficiently, because of the screen sieze.

Buying the 7.7 seems silly, as it is somewhat smallish.

So I am tending towards 8.9 or 10.1.

Any advise, including where best to buy in Bangkok would be welcome.

I am not limited to Samsung, but definately dislike ipads.

Is there anything out here with ICS, 3G, SDslot?

Thanks

Maybe wait a while for the new Windows 8 tablets yo become available later this year. Perfect :D

You should probably play with some models to determine the appropriate display size for your requirements. Once you have that you can select brands/models.

For a laptop replacement/substitution 10.1 might be the best option?

ICS is a non-issue; Android 3.x (Honeycomb) is more than sufficient, and most current mainstream tablets have an upgrade commitment to 4.x.

uSD card is also an over-rated requirement, unless you have some massively unique requirements.

The 3G option is nuanced; the uplift is only ~ 3,000 baht so maybe worth it? You can of course create a WiFi mobile AP with your SGS2, to share with your tablet so no need for a second SIM and data plan.

Most counter shops in MBK have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi for 14,000 and the 3G version for 17,000.

Fwiw there are tons of apps on the iPad that can do office and word.

Use iCloud and Dropbox for documents and you never have to fire up that hated iTunes at all. Works without.

The problem with the android tablets is two fold: they are not nearly as good yet more expensive than the iPad.

Windows tablets are going to tank just like windows phone...

Use iCloud and Dropbox for documents and you never have to fire up that hated iTunes at all. Works without.

The problem with the android tablets is two fold: they are not nearly as good yet more expensive than the iPad.

It's pretty obvious you didn't read, or perhaps understand, the OP's statements and requirements. :rolleyes:

This boot animation, which is on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1/WiFi custom ROM, may help you to understand?

• Like 2

Thank you all for your help and input.

After using android phones for few years now, I felt the wife's new ipad did not allow me to do much.

I miss my widgets, dislike the way icons are arranged, hate that you cant create file folders and arrange your files as needed. I bought "pages" and it looks pretty, but is not as functional as Polaris. Sad is that I really like all design features, but want be able to work with IOS.

They apparently cant even make a keybord that does not always display CAPS.

Anyway, I will go to MBK and play with various sizes of droid tabs and decide then.

Anybody any more wisdom?

Again thanks.

The problem with this response is twofold . . . 1) the Samsung 10.1 has been rated in several ways better than the iPad: lighter, better display for a couple, and 2) it's cheaper, definitely cheaper. I've got one (3G, ฿10.5k+ from a shop at MBK), and it's great!

The problem with this response is twofold . . . 1) the Samsung 10.1 has been rated in several ways better than the iPad: lighter, better display for a couple, and 2) it's cheaper, definitely cheaper. I've got one (3G, ฿10.5k+ from a shop at MBK), and it's great!

10.5k b for a NEW samsung galaxy 10.1.... really! Where????

Gee ... which shop please ... I want a NOTE ... maybe they have them as well ... thanks

Shop and floor please...

Thnx

I believe the prices I quoted above (post # 3) are still valid for genuine product here in Thailand.

I did buy my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1/16 GB/WiFi ( GT-P7510MAYXAB ) $360 (USD, so maybe ~ 10,800 baht?) all in (no sales tax, free shipping in the U.S.) on eBay (Buy-it-Now) during my last trip to the U.S.

Instead of a Samsung tablet, you might want to have a look at the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF 201 (the one with the Tegra 3 Quad core), which combines a powerful tablet with a detachable keyboard into a laptop, with extended battery life and memory.

Runs already on Ice Cream Sandwich. Have look here http://www.asus.com/Tablet/Transformer_Pad/Eee_Pad_Transformer_Prime_TF201/

Edited by dominique355

The terms of service on iCloud are awful - they keep the encryption key so you have a false sense of privacy, and they reserve the right to delete or worse *modify* 'undesirable' files. The latter is completely unacceptable.

You always say the ipad is better, and I always say this: Thats a matter of opinion. Not everyone likes Apple stuff. To me its nice hardware crippled and spoiled by various bits of Apple bastardry. It could have been the best, but all things considered I'd much rather have a nice Android tablet that doesn't come with annoying restrictions, proprietary ports etc etc.

I have Apple and Android devices lying around at home, the iPad never gets picked up. It frustrates me. I haven't had a decent play with the new iPad but I expect my feelings will be the same - nice screen, but...

As I said before, I am extremely unhappy with the wife's new ipad. Few days ago she used it to post an ad on zPantip and wanted to insert a picture. No chance in hell.

Then i tried with my SGII phone. No problem at all.

Also Itunes sucks. And still no way to explore files.

For my work I like to keep all files in project specific folders. These may be docs, spreadsheets and pics. Apparently that concept does not appeal to Apple and I do not get a choice....

Not sure what the launch date is in Thailand, but in other parts of the world, the 16GB Galaxy Tab 2 10.1" is launching next week. I've seen it advertised already at a few places in America for $399. It ships with Android 4.x (Ice Cream Sandwich) and also has a microSD slot for additional memory storage of up to 32GB. And I disagree with Lomatoppo on this, in my opinion it IS a big thing. It's easy to fill these tablets up with media such as movies, music, etc. On the original Tab 10.1, it has no memory card slot and you have to plug in an accessory adapter to expand the memory. That externalizes the memory, so you have something extending from the tablet, plugged into it. I don't like the idea of actively using it with something plugged into it, for the simple reason that over time the plug could get bumped, which might damage the connector, loosen it up, etc. I'd much rather have the option for expanded memory internalized with a micro SD card if memory expansion is needed.

There is also the Galaxy Note 10.1 on the way, though a launch date has not been announced. It could take longer. It's main feature over the Tab 2 is that it has the Stylus Pen for drawing/taking notes, etc.

Search these on Google if you want more specifics on these models. They were announced the end of February at the Mobile World Congress trade show in Barcelona.

Not sure what the launch date is in Thailand, but in other parts of the world, the 16GB Galaxy Tab 2 10.1" is launching next week.

You should make sure you are happy with the Tab 2; it is not a second generation Tab, as it actually has lower performance, and a thicker/heavier design. Samsung has 'bracketed' the old Tab 10.1, with the Tab 2 positioned below the old Tab and the Note 10.1 above the old Tab, hence the cheap price on the Tab 2 (actually meant to compete against the "old" iPad 2).

I realize the uSD issue is almost a religious issue so people should choose the platform and features they will ultimately be happy with. I can load ~ 40 hours of video on the internal 16 GB space so I do not feel limited in any way. I also stream a fair amount of video from my PC (media server) to my Tab over my home WiFi network, and have a USB adapter so can attach a HDD to my Tab as required to transfer files.

So, Thanks for all the comments again.

I have made up my mind and bought a second hand gala,y 10.1. For only 11K. It is top condition and works fine.

Perhaps for christmas there will be an update to note 10.1.

So far I am really happy. Works same as my SGII.

So, Thanks for all the comments again.

I have made up my mind and bought a second hand gala,y 10.1. For only 11K. It is top condition and works fine.

Perhaps for christmas there will be an update to note 10.1.

So far I am really happy. Works same as my SGII.

Congrats!

My wife got me one for Xmas & I really like it too.

As you say it is matching android so familiar