Siam Reap

I am going to Siem Reap this weekend and I will visit Angkor Wat. I will be there 3 days and I guess this visit should fill one whole day, so what else can you do around there? :-)

EDIT: I remembered you can shoot automatic rifles and even bigger in Cambodia, anyone have any experience on this? I would love to shoot a RPG or some $hit like that LOL

Also, Is it better to bring dollars or the local currency?

Edit 2: Siem, not Siam :P

Edited by kawaiimomo

i was there 2 weeks agoand had a blast. Get the 3 day pass for angkor wat, you will not be disappointed. I have the contact details of a gooddriver if you need. He took us to some awesome sites and more!

On a 3 day trip a one day pass for Angkor Wat will suffice.

You can buy a ticket after 5pm to see the sunset at Angkor Wat and then it is valid the next day (2 tuk-tuks required for p.m. and next day - negotiate $15 - $20 max for both days)

Just make sure that you see the main Angkor Wat, Ta Phrohm and Bayon. That will give you a good flavour of what has been called the 8th Wonder of the World.

There is loads to do in Siem Reap. Pub Street and., even better, the surrounding streets offers a wide variety of restaurants and bars at excellent prices.

Take Dollars,. If you are Thailand based take a Thai debit card - Canadia bank do not charge for their ATM usage and e.g. Kasikorn charge 150 Baht (with a fair exchange rate) on each withdrawal.

You will not get 'ripped off' with Cambodian Riel. There are 4,000 Riel to a Dollar (occasionally 4,200) and you will normally only get Riel in change for the odd bits on a bill i.e. bill $6.50 you pay with $10 you will likely get back $3 and 2,000 Riel. It is easy once you get there.

Where are you staying ?

I am staying in an hotel called Ree hotel which looks it's located in the center of the city and closed to the pubs. Anyway thanks for the info ;-)

You are a little bit out on the airport road -no problem, lots of good hotels around there and only a $2 taxi ride into town.

"Town" is something you may not expect. Totally 'un-Asian' with 95 % of the people you see being tourist. Makes it very cosmopolitan and a refreshing break from Asia.

Pub Street 330cl glass of draught Angkor beer (better than Anchor beer IMO) for 50 cents - approx 15 Baht smile.png

I'd reiterate the three day pass. There is lots of good stuff to see. Don't miss a boat trip to see the floating village either.

Two days wandering around town is a waste of your time there imho. You can do that in the evenings.

I'd reiterate the three day pass. There is lots of good stuff to see. Don't miss a boat trip to see the floating village either.

Two days wandering around town is a waste of your time there imho. You can do that in the evenings.

Be careful which trip on the Tonle Sap you choose - one is considered to be a rip-off.

Find time to to relax - this is not a school field trip or an archeological dig !

A bit of Khmer culture can be had at the Smile of Angkor show ( a bit like Siam Niramit) - buffet and show for $25 if you book at the right places, $38 at Asiavipa - http://www.asiavipa.com/smile-of-angkor-grand-epic-show.php - and about $48 direct.

• Like 1

Be careful which trip on the Tonle Sap you choose - one is considered to be a rip-off.

Find time to to relax - this is not a school field trip or an archeological dig !

A bit of Khmer culture can be had at the Smile of Angkor show ( a bit like Siam Niramit) - buffet and show for $25 if you book at the right places, $38 at Asiavipa - http://www.asiavipa....d-epic-show.php - and about $48 direct.

I've heard that too regarding the boat trip although I was well satisfied with the one I took. A lovely place and welcoming and fun locals.

It was a long way from town however and a good half day trip at least.

Seems it depends on what the OP would really like to do...for me the boat trip and a couple of temples is another day anyway and makes the three day pass worthwhile.

Others may enjoy mooching around Siem Reap I suppose...it is a pleasant city.

A bit of Khmer culture can be had at the Smile of Angkor show ( a bit like Siam Niramit) - buffet and show for $25 if you book at the right places, $38 at Asiavipa - http://www.asiavipa....d-epic-show.php - and about $48 direct.

I've heard that too regarding the boat trip although I was well satisfied with the one I took. A lovely place and welcoming and fun locals.

It was a long way from town however and a good half day trip at least.

Seems it depends on what the OP would really like to do...for me the boat trip and a couple of temples is another day anyway and makes the three day pass worthwhile.

Others may enjoy mooching around Siem Reap I suppose...it is a pleasant city.

smokie - I agree 100% that it is personal choice.

On a first (and short trip) like this I would still recommend 'sampling' Angkor Wat. For some, half a day is enough and can cover the 3 temples I referred to. I spoke to one Dutch guy who spent 3 day sat the temples and he wanted more time !

Banteay Saray and Kabal Spean are a good afternoon out - especially if you know where to take lunch on the Siem Reap/Cho-Am road (towards Kabal Spean but i forget the name).

Relax on a sofa in Blue Pumpkin with a cappuccino and a vanilla slice (mille feuille), enjoy the smells and sounds of the central or old markets have a Seeing Hands massage in one of the blind massage parlours.

Mates, I really appreciated your replies.

I think I am the kind of guy who could spend 2 days watching temples (not 3 as that Dutch guy). I am not really a night life man, but as I am travelling with young Thai partners I will go to enjoy the night party for sure hehe :-)

Anyway, thanks for your replies about pricings as this is my first trip there and I had no idea on the costs ;-)

I did 3 days. 2 at the main site and then one at the several sites that are quite a ways out of town. Which was a very enjoyable trip just seeing the countryside. IMHO, this is one of the most incredible places in the world. You'll be "templed out" after 3 days, but it's well worth it. Can't wait to go back!!

I did a trip to the floating village. It was setup by my driver/guide and was a private boat. Great fun. We even went way out in the lake so I could take a swim just at sunset. Absolutely beautiful.

I've heard Battambang is becoming quite the place to visit also....if you have time.

I visited last month (my 3rd visit over the years) and found that cycling around the Angkor park complex is a great way to explore places that hardly anybody visits. I hired a mountain bike but saw many people on cheap town bikes also getting around the park. The sun and heat was a bit of a problem but well worth enduring for a real sense of adventure. Definitely 3 days - and there will still be places left to see on your next visit.

I visited last month (my 3rd visit over the years) and found that cycling around the Angkor park complex is a great way to explore places that hardly anybody visits. I hired a mountain bike but saw many people on cheap town bikes also getting around the park. The sun and heat was a bit of a problem but well worth enduring for a real sense of adventure. Definitely 3 days - and there will still be places left to see on your next visit.

I can see the appeal of cycling but, following the floods last year, some of the roads around Angkor Wat have become narrow in places. Out of high season now so it may be OK.

I still think that a tuk tuk is the best way to see the area - you really do pick on the ambiance of the place - my missus says it is like Thailand was 25 years ago. Late afternoon as the sun is going down is a great time to see the countryside.

It has been incredibly hot around Angkor (a real heat trap) - as it has in Thailand. Be prepared by taking water rather than paying inflated prices at the entry points.

Oh - at least be aware of the land mine victims and kids selling postcards, books etc - they are excellent sales-people for their age :) You will not get ripped off and a polite but firm "no thank you" eventually works. They are not like Pattaya tailors but you may find it mildly irritating - similarly, every tuk tuk driver is after your business and around Pub St you will be harangued by the tuk tuk mafia to take their particular vehicle. don't let it put you off - just be aware of it.

I did 3 days. 2 at the main site and then one at the several sites that are quite a ways out of town. Which was a very enjoyable trip just seeing the countryside. IMHO, this is one of the most incredible places in the world. You'll be "templed out" after 3 days, but it's well worth it. Can't wait to go back!!

I did a trip to the floating village. It was setup by my driver/guide and was a private boat. Great fun. We even went way out in the lake so I could take a swim just at sunset. Absolutely beautiful.

I've heard Battambang is becoming quite the place to visit also....if you have time.

If a trip to Siem Reap whets your appetite consider Kampot and Kep as a trip and also Sihanoukville for a seaside holiday. Each totally different to Siem Reap in their own way - but, for me, Siem Reap is slightly unique.

If a trip to Siem Reap whets your appetite consider Kampot and Kep as a trip and also Sihanoukville for a seaside holiday. Each totally different to Siem Reap in their own way - but, for me, Siem Reap is slightly unique.

Funny you should say that. It's a trip I'm just about ready to do!

Your point about the vendors in Siam Reap brings back some crazy memories. For sure never say "maybe later". Because they will follow you around or be there waiting for you. And they can be aggressive and there can be a bunch of them. Buy one thing and they all come running. Just say NO!