Greg'S Kitchen

BugJackBaron

One of the better Western restaurants in Pattaya, Greg's kitchen, has closed but will reopen

in one week at "drinking street" and second road which is just past the Big C on second road.

Greg told me that the menu will be "similar" but with reduced prices and smaller portions.

Heads up to our food reporters (ahem Jingthing) who may want to cover the grand

reopening!

Edited by BugJackBaron

I first visited Greg's kitchen back in 98 or 99, been there many times since.

Sorry to hear he's closed up, what was the reason?

Look forward to the reports of his new place.

Y'all enjoy it. Not my style of grub. rolleyes.gif

great roast dinners....you not like roast beef and yorkshire puds jing?

Sure I enjoy British food sometimes. I just haven't personally found going to Greg's Kitchen compelling. Yes I have been there. In recent years, I found their prices to be at ridiculous levels so moving and lowering the prices and portions I suppose makes sense for their business model. Haven't had the YP there. Is it especially good?

I've eaten there a couple of times and tend to agree with some previous posters... I thought it was expensive and not that great. I am actually OK with not that great, but please don't charge me a premium for it.

• Like 1

I've eaten there a couple of times and tend to agree with some previous posters... I thought it was expensive and not that great. I am actually OK with not that great, but please don't charge me a premium for it.

agreed, overpriced mediocrity

I will throw my hat in the ring, with all the other British eateries and pubs in town, Greggs was over rated and over priced. The fact he is shutting up shop, moving and lowering his prices says a lot.

or it could just mean his rent was high at his old location, the lease was due for renewal and the landlord wanted to raise it and so he found a cheaper rental and is passing his cost savings onto his customers.

I will throw my hat in the ring, with all the other British eateries and pubs in town, Greggs was over rated and over priced. The fact he is shutting up shop, moving and lowering his prices says a lot.

or it could just mean his rent was high at his old location, the lease was due for renewal and the landlord wanted to raise it and so he found a cheaper rental and is passing his cost savings onto his customers.

As previously stated as well as reducing prices he is reducing portion size. It's a saturated market for "British" food and you have to be something good to really stand out and to me he stood out for one thing and it was high prices, over 200 Baht for an English Breakfast that was nothing special.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that a couple of years ago a Bacardi Breezer in there was 180 Baht... it was nothing special either.

I'd rather pay 200 baht for a breakfast that kept me going until late afternoon than 240 baht for two beers watching some bored slags trying to look sexy sort of dancing around a chrome pole

I'm pretty sure that a couple of years ago a Bacardi Breezer in there was 180 Baht... it was nothing special either.

I'd rather pay 200 baht for a breakfast that kept me going until late afternoon than 240 baht for two beers watching some bored slags trying to look sexy sort of dancing around a chrome pole

He does the best stuffing balls in the Eastern Seaboard !!!

Errr.... OK. That's good to know. I shall bear that in mind... (<deleted>???)

having the same name, and always having thais having trouble saying it, especially the long version that has two "r" in it: Gregory. I have been by Greg's many times and of course photo'd it to show people back in the states. Just never had the hankereing to wander in.

Greg's Kitchen is a Sunday morning ritual for many expats. Great breakfasts. His new restaurant is NOT along 2nd Street but down in a row of shops along "Drinking Street" bars which is across from Tiffanys on 2nd Rd. The restaurant is sort of hidden away must be cheaper rent). Hopefully his business won't dwindle away with this new locaton.

I always admire any person that tries a business. Best of luck to him. Having been in the restaurant business here in the USA, I have first hand experience about how a bad location can kill a place. Hopefully that doesn't happen to him.

Best wishes.

Brekfast or Beer an a chrome pole.........hmmmmmm, f it give me the beer and pole, and I'll have a manky cheese burger on the way home sick.gif

Never heard of Gregs' looking forward to trying it out when it opens now.

Greg's Kitchen is a Sunday morning ritual for many expats. Great breakfasts. His new restaurant is NOT along 2nd Street but down in a row of shops along "Drinking Street" bars which is across from Tiffanys on 2nd Rd. The restaurant is sort of hidden away must be cheaper rent). Hopefully his business won't dwindle away with this new locaton.

Yep, I went by second the other day and couldn't see it at all, though I didn't look very hard. Does anyone have an exact location or photo?

Unfortunately location is all too important. Does anyone remember the exotic meat restaurant across from Avenue on Second Rd?

Yes, the one that offered kangaroo and crocodile.

A few years ago their rent was raised and they moved to Naklua somewhere -never to be heard from again.

Rent control may not be such a bad idea.

Edited by BugJackBaron

Ah. the exotic food place. I always looked at the menu, never went in. Didn't even notice it had moved! Out of sight, out of mind.

Paradise Restaurant. I ate there a few times and enjoyed it. I never ordered anything more exotic than rabbit however, and usually ordered the duck, both of which were very nice. They are now in one of the sois that runs from Naklua to Wong Amat beach. Not far from the Centara Grand Mirage Hotel. Possibly soi 16/2 (or 16/3) I think.