Koh Ngai/Koh Mook/Koh Kradan

grumpyoldman

In what I do I have been recently putting together a database of all the resorts on these islands and boy (!), these islands look spectacular.

I've been to Koh Libong, and it was o.k., but it looks as though these islands are a lot more special.

You can go ground and head down to Trang to get out there, but what looks like might be a better route is to go to Lanta, maybe overnight and then jump a boat from there. Granted this time of year due to weather you might stay ground, but water looks better from Lanta anyway.

If any of you have stayed out at these islands please give a report on where you stayed and what you thought, when I get a window of time off and good weather I'm going to check it out.

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

Been to all these islands many times, my personal favorite is Ko Kradan, there's a small resort in the middle of the island, run by a Hawaiian named wally, beautiful, absolute Robinson Crusoe feeling with spectacular beaches. There's a second resort now, more high priced, called seven seas...

Great for snorkeling right off the beach.

Ko Mook is nice, quite a few back packer resort on Charlie beach, one upper class resort on the other (east) coast. Must see here is the emerald cove!

Ko Ngai nice as well, couple resorts on the east coast, medium priced, one nice back packer bungalow place on the west coast, great place to spot horn bills and snorkeling right off the beach.

And of course one day in Pak Meng for a lunch or dinner on the beach is a must, either at the beginning or end of the trip..

Have fun.

Hi there,

Been to all these islands many times, my personal favorite is Ko Kradan, there's a small resort in the middle of the island, run by a Hawaiian named wally, beautiful, absolute Robinson Crusoe feeling with spectacular beaches. There's a second resort now, more high priced, called seven seas...

Great for snorkeling right off the beach.

Ko Mook is nice, quite a few back packer resort on Charlie beach, one upper class resort on the other (east) coast. Must see here is the emerald cove!

Ko Ngai nice as well, couple resorts on the east coast, medium priced, one nice back packer bungalow place on the west coast, great place to spot horn bills and snorkeling right off the beach.

And of course one day in Pak Meng for a lunch or dinner on the beach is a must, either at the beginning or end of the trip..

Have fun.

I met wally on Kradan about four years ago! Is he well and is the island still as it was back then?

He runs Paraside Lost Resort.

Just Google "Paradise Lost Resort Kradan" and you'll get the actual website of the resort.

Wally Sanger is 72 now. I'm not entirely sure the place is still going.

Let us know if you get through or not.

It's a 2* btw and I know he keeps a lot of the dogs at the resort, or did.

On a very related note, I've spent the last 3 years taking 8 people to Koh Ngai Resort on the southern tip of Koh Ngai., every Christmas.

The vistas from their private beach are absolutely amazing and it's simply heaven there.

I've visited all the islands there, incluing Koh Mook and some of the lesser uninhabited islands in the area, and I say categorically Koh Kradan is the best inhabited and has the best underwater life.

I couldn't stay there as my Mum is 72 and she couldn't hack staying at a cheap and cheerful with fans only, like Wally's, and the Seven Seas is way out of my price league for 8 people.

The coral on Koh Ngai has been pretty much destroyed by anchors and longtail rotors. Which, by proxy, is largely our, the tourist's fault. They're trying to teach the sailors there but I think it's case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

The unihabited side of Ngai called "Paradise Beach" is probably the best beach (along with Koh Rok) I've been on in the whole of Thailand. Utterly utterly brilliant.

I've got photos of the resort somewhere, from my last Xmas hols, I'll post em up here when I find them.

The coral on Kradan is simply breathtaking.

You can stay on one island, like Ngai or Mook and take boat trips as much as you like to Kradan.

Hope you find the right place for you GOM, you're definitely looking at the most beautiful seaside places in Thailand.

Oh and you don't have to jump off from the pier in Trang to get there. I take a private rented longtail from the Muslim family right on the pier in Lanta Old Town (Sang Ga U) for ฿2,500. Max loading is 10-12 people.

In your original post you say the water looks better from Lanta to the islands, but from what the family I travel with tell me the crossing from Lanta to those Trang Islands is more dangerous than from the Trang pier, as you're in the Malacca strait proper and not in the inlet between Lanta and the mainland.

All the times I have been on that route the water was calm and still, with minimal waves, but that's not to say it can't get rough at other times, as I only ever go at Christmas.

Edited by ManInSurat