Ko Chang

Debothai

I was thinking of taking my family for a trip to Ko Chang during July when my parents will be visiting. We live in Si Racha which is about 250 kms from the ferry boat harbour. I would like to know is it worth going there, what is your experience should I take the car or not, costs of accommodation etc. We have a 1 year old boy and our parents..

Can't help with the cost of accommodation, but take your car for sure. Easy to get it over on the ferry and better than renting scooters on a very dangerous island for scooters. July is starting to be rainy, so don't expect a lot of sunshine. I like KC, but our last trip in August was rain every day!!!!

Try not to stay anywhere near Lonely Beach if you can. Whilst it's the only sandy bay beach on the island, it's also full of party goers. Not sure that would suit your parents and one year old. You'd be better off staying on other bays on the island and then you're free to visit the beach at Lonely beach if you're looking for a sandy beach.

As for accommodation, there are a lot of luxury resorts facing the sea all over the island which would probably suit your family's needs. However they're not super cheap. You're looking at paying 800 Baht and upwards for a double room.

I also agree with taking your car if possible. The island has very steep hills and roads which would be a nightmare for a family in taxis and on scooters.

Koh Chang can be very wet at that time of year but you may be able to get discounts on accomodation.Its likely you will get some dry days though.I have the choice of a pickup if its raining but prefer a motorcyle if its dry.With a family its 4 wheels for sure.Its not for the faint hearted! I've seen some of the worst driving in Thailand on the Island on occasion.Its still one of my favorite places and spend as much time there as I can.Check out Iam koh chang website for lots of helpful info

Like the other posts;, take the motor, and it may well rain. White sand beach is "the strip" on koh chang, my fave is had kai bae, K.B. resort. Low season rates for the beach side\garden bungalows is good, and no noisy neighbours (like in even big money hotels); just pray no tookay in the roof. If you do fancy this place after an on line check, it would be worth trying to check if they have now finished the building work on site. The beach is ok sand, no high rise building backdrop, and the resort has a good pool and food. Each time I go koh chang, I'm amazed at how many more bars there are, with associated "staff".

I know that time of year is supposed to be the rainiest but I tend to get over there about that time and the last couple of years I have been at that time first one the weather was great, sunny/hot, bit of rain for half hour sort of thing but no worries. Last year it was hot/sunny for 3 or 4 days, cloudy for a couple but hot and then bad rain for maybe 2 or 3 but those 2 or 3 days of constant rain were the first at that time of year I'd had in years tbh

It's seems quite random. Perhaps high chance of rain but just how much rain is a random factor. I don't mind hot days and a bit of rain in the evening. Had few days 'spoiled' by rain anyway

I take my family down there several times a year. Normaly stay in Cookies resort on White sand beach.

And Lonely Beach it´s not the only sandy beach on the island as Phuturatica claims. White sand beach have, as the name suggests, a fine white sandy beach, and so does a few other beaches on the island as well.

And bring your car.