1000Cc + Supersport Bikes In Thailand

i have never owned a 1000cc supersports and the temptation to get one is building up (just for a bit of fun stuff at the weekends )

I dont wanna pay 800,000 thb for a new one though so id be thinking 2nd hand

(4-8 years old likely )

if anyone owns one ,are they reliable /bombproof

do they break often ? id be thjinking of fireblades ,r1's .gsx-rs etc

is it hugely expensive to get parts ?

does it take 3 months to order a part ?

do many garages know how to work on them ?

is most of them dodgy bikes ? i see a lot that have not number plates or tax and really cheap and some sellers

are offering no book ,cloned books,real books with 65-120k price extra

i know there is always a chance of having such bikes confiscated but usually a 500 thb note can send you riding on your way again

i have a plated but bookless cb1300 but i picked it up cheap ,and never seem to get stopped on it anyway but i like to know about

bikes i mentioned earlier if there is any owners reading here

Yip

What's your budget? For ~300-400k Baht you can get a fully legal second hand liter bike in good condition.

I'd avoid bikes with dodgy books if I were you- Thailand is getting more and more strict about unplated bikes.

R1, GSXR 1000, CBR 1000, Ninja ZX10R all great bikes.

You'll need to order most parts from abroad- most parts suppliers can deliver to Thailand in 1-3 weeks. Be prepared to pay 30-35% duty / VAT on parts. Sometimes you get lucky though.

Personally I mostly use Red Baron here in Bangkok for OEM parts because they know liter bikes, speak English and their prices are usually lower than if I order from abroad.

Ride On!

Tony

Bira6FebTonyGixxerSSR.jpg

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Not a big pool of quality 1000 sporties to choose from under 250k. You will find more over 250k, probably 350k for a 2006 or later. Remember, if you change your mind and go for a 600 instead, a lot of them are ex-rentals and have had a hard life. Plus they all seem to be on red plates here in Pattaya.

Id also consider a FZ1. Im doing allot of weekend forays in CM on mine and they really blend well between sports and touring plus you can pick up a second hand model for good prices. Yamaha network pretty well supported in most areas and parts etc reasonably well supported through the dealers...

Twist the wrist and get it above 7000 rpm and it has all the sport action you want or in my case can handle...

I wouldn't advise buying a non green book bike.. just too risky these days and as tony says cops getting less and less lenient.

post-135230-0-56551100-1336766991_thumb.

FWIW don't buy a bike with no plate even if the dealer promises to be able to get a plate. Most of the time they're not actually able to. They're sales people, they will tell you "NO PROBLEM we can get a plate for you as long as you're willing to pay X amount" but in reality it might take years or more likely will never happen. Just get one with a legal plate - promises are cheap wink.png

Edited by nikster
  • Like 1

FWIW don't buy a bike with no plate even if the dealer promises to be able to get a plate. Most of the time they're not actually able to. They're sales people, they will tell you "NO PROBLEM we can get a plate for you as long as you're willing to pay X amount" but in reality it might take years or more likely will never happen. Just get one with a legal plate - promises are cheap wink.png

Good advice. Likewise, if you're buying from a private seller, don't pay until the bike has passed inspection at the DLT and the green book has been successfully transferred into your name.

For most motorcycles that are specified you can get your standard stock parts in Thailand without much delay. For a Suzuki GSX-R1000 before 2008 you can only get parts that are the same on the 2008 model. Of course Suzuki has all parts from 2008 up to the 2012 model. The same as with Yamaha which has no parts of the YZF-R1 before the 2007 model, but anything between 2007 up to 2012 is easy to get. Honda has all parts available for the 2012 CBR1000RR.

hi guys

just to update the thread ,i id picked up a very nice cbr1000rr (Not restricted)

nearly bought a cheap hayabusa but i thought maybe thats overkill because id never use the top speed of it on thai roadz !

i know many people says dont get one a grey import one but i did (it was about 150k-200k cheaper than similar bikes with books )

it has an original invoice and the excise duty paid so the option is there to make a green book if necessary (i can live with a few 500 thb fines

with the amount saved on purchase price providing it dont get confiscated smile.png )

anyways ,back to the bike

its so easy to ride ,i heard horror stories about bikes with this much power but its really easy to make it do what you want smile.png

it can weave in and out ,you can lean it nearly all the way over even at low speeds

it goes like shit off a shovel and agile as a cat ! ,i never had a bike this responsive or quick before ,and the brakes are fantastic

(much better than my previous bikes )

i still keep the versys nd my scooter for

a daily runner and use this for fun and weekends and so far so good

Happy dayz!

Edited by YipYipYa123

Don't buy so-called invoice second hand motorcycles, what are imported motorcycles which have all the correct import papers, taxes and duties paid but didn't register the motorcycle in Thailand (greenbook and license plate). The thing is with the current ban on imported motorcycles you cannot register a imported motorcycle, even it was imported 2-years ago.

• Like 1

Don't buy so-called invoice second hand motorcycles, what are imported motorcycles which have all the correct import papers, taxes and duties paid but didn't register the motorcycle in Thailand (greenbook and license plate). The thing is with the current ban on imported motorcycles you cannot register a imported motorcycle, even it was imported 2-years ago.

Is this confirmed? Or the price of the usual dealers who can do such grey imports registrations just rising up? Cant imagine it will be really impossible because too much $$$ in this buisness...

i think thai fixers can still get books organised

i talked to the staff at a famous bangkok bike shop recently and they had imported a big BMW 1250 adventure among others and were in the process of making a book for it (would not sell it yet because they know its worth more when the book arrives)

also ,pattaya superbike shop seem to have the ability to get books for all their import bikes

(all their bikes are registered to the shop first ,then you wuil be the 2nd owner when you buy from them if i understand their policy correctly )

maybe the goalposts have shifted a bit but i think it can still be done by people who do this all day ,every day + a bit of money to grease the wheels never hurts :)

i think thai fixers can still get books organised

i talked to the staff at a famous bangkok bike shop recently and they had imported a big BMW 1250 adventure among others and were in the process of making a book for it (would not sell it yet because they know its worth more when the book arrives)

also ,pattaya superbike shop seem to have the ability to get books for all their import bikes

(all their bikes are registered to the shop first ,then you wuil be the 2nd owner when you buy from them if i understand their policy correctly )

maybe the goalposts have shifted a bit but i think it can still be done by people who do this all day ,every day + a bit of money to grease the wheels never hurts smile.png

Agreed, when i recently asked a "fixer" i got the same answer, so if you know the right ppl and willing to pay the price everything seems unchanges. Anyway this law is approved but not yet coming into effect, and who knows how this is going to take?

Edited by Hili

For most motorcycles that are specified you can get your standard stock parts in Thailand without much delay. For a Suzuki GSX-R1000 before 2008 you can only get parts that are the same on the 2008 model. Of course Suzuki has all parts from 2008 up to the 2012 model. The same as with Yamaha which has no parts of the YZF-R1 before the 2007 model, but anything between 2007 up to 2012 is easy to get. Honda has all parts available for the 2012 CBR1000RR.

Wrong, Suzuki Thailand only stocks parts for the 2010-2011 G

hi guys

just to update the thread ,i id picked up a very nice cbr1000rr (Not restricted)

nearly bought a cheap hayabusa but i thought maybe thats overkill because id never use the top speed of it on thai roadz !

i know many people says dont get one a grey import one but i did (it was about 150k-200k cheaper than similar bikes with books )

it has an original invoice and the excise duty paid so the option is there to make a green book if necessary (i can live with a few 500 thb fines

with the amount saved on purchase price providing it dont get confiscated smile.png )

its so easy to ride ,i heard horror stories about bikes with this much power but its really easy to make it do what you want smile.png

it can weave in and out ,you can lean it nearly all the way over even at low speeds

it goes like shit off a shovel and agile as a cat ! ,i never had a bike this responsive or quick before ,and the brakes are fantastic

Happy dayz!

Congrats on your new bike. Invoice only? Good luck with that!

i talked to the staff at a famous bangkok bike shop recently and they had imported a big BMW 1250 adventure among others and were in the process of making a book for it

Is that a 1150 adventure with a big bore kit....? tongue.png

Don't buy a bike which someone has to "make" a greenbook for...unless you want to get burnt in the future....

Edited by madjbs

I have had many bikes as I used to rent out big bikes and I would tell you to go for the Honda CBR 1000 (Not 929 or 954) or Kawa ZX9/10, Z 1000 due to they run smooter and seems to last longer than a R1.

I don't know much about the Suzuki's.

My biggest issues with rental bikes was R1,R6, CBR 929/954.

As rental they get punished a lot but the CBR 1000 and Kawa ZX 9//ZX 10/ Z 1000 was just smooter and had less parking time.

I used to go to Singapore and buy parts as they have most of it off the shelf, Sometimes bought parts for 200K thb and brought it bach in 2 big suitcases.

i talked to the staff at a famous bangkok bike shop recently and they had imported a big BMW 1250 adventure among others and were in the process of making a book for it

Don't buy a bike which someone has to "make" a greenbook for...unless you want to get burnt in the future....

possibly ,i dont know bmw 's model line very well

looks like a cool bike though ,if maybe a bit heavy

back on topic though ,yes , a green book is being organised for it which implies to me ,it Can still be done

all these crack downs will do is drive out the amateurs

the large operations are still importing bikes as fast as they can sell them ,more than likely they are on first name basis

or maybe even have uncle .brother ,sister ,cousin ,wife etc working at the DLT

i dont think anyone is going to stop and say,aha well ,it was nice while it lasted but now its time to follow the rules ,No more Bribes for us ,

lets just sell the BENZ and buy a hyundai because we cant afford that anymore if we go back to our govt salarys :D

back on topic though ,yes , a green book is being organised for it which implies to me ,it Can still be done

the large operations are still importing bikes as fast as they can sell them ,more than likely they are on first name basis

i dont think anyone is going to stop and say,aha well ,it was nice while it lasted but now its time to follow the rules ,No more Bribes for us ,

lets just sell the BENZ and buy a hyundai because we cant afford that anymore if we go back to our govt salarys biggrin.png

Thats the point, of course on this board the general message should be dont buy invoiced bikes because alot can go wrong. But again if you know the right people and know what you are doing IT IS POSSIBLE and always have been.

lets just sell the BENZ and buy a hyundai because we cant afford that anymore if we go back to our govt salarys biggrin.png

It is not DLT you should worry about - it is BIB.

I once had a CBR 1000 taken and after long hard negosiationsfor a month - I took it back (paid 150 K bht). I knew the right guys back than but the head of department was out on another job for 2 month and it was there a new guy had his luck

This is 6 years ago.

hi guys

Happy dayz!

Congratulations on the new Fireblade. What year is it? I recently picked up my 2012 CBR 1000 (soon to be deresrticted) and totally love it. Even restricted, it puts out 70 ft/lbs of torque, so it still flys. I was also surprised at how easy it is to ride. I had a bit of trouble in traffic the first couple of days, but now I've got the hang of it. Now I can nip through traffic very easily. There is the odd occasion when you get stuck and just can't move, but once the traffic opens up, you make up any lost time and then some. It's very light, handles great, and stops on a dime. Best of Luck.

Brian

Brian

Wrong, Suzuki Thailand only stocks parts for the 2010-2011 G

hi guys

Happy dayz!

Congrats on your new bike. Invoice only? Good luck with that!

What about insurance?

Still covered without a green book?

What about insurance?

Yes it is possible to get an insurance for bikes w/o books

Please specify the insurance company, because I really would like to know....

Variaya have insured my cb400 and its bookless and taxless ,i think the insurance companies will not refuse anyones money

whether or not they will pay out if it gets stolen is another matter :)

What about insurance?

Variaya have insured my cb400 and its bookless and taxless ,i think the insurance companies will not refuse anyones money

whether or not they will pay out if it gets stolen is another matter smile.png

Please specify more details I called Viriyah Insurance HQ 02-239-1557 and after I specified for what I wanted an insurance (Kawasaki ZX7R without greenbook and plates) they told me that it was not possible to get insurance... (I speak Thai so no misunderstandings, called them 5 minutes ago).

• Like 1

What about insurance?

whether or not they will pay out if it gets stolen is another matter :)

I cannot believe any insurance company is going to pay out on any bike with no book or tax, yes they may take your money for the cover but if you think they are gonna pay out on accident or theft no chance

mine was organised by the previous owner ,im not sure how he got the paperwork through but i just re-new the policy every year through an insurance agent who works in my wifes office :) ( very cheap also because employee get 20% off )

maybe because he gets a commision on every policy he can push it through somehow but thats just a guess

however he does it ,it comes through a few days after we pay for it and we keep all the paperwork under the seat in case of a crash and they give us an insurance disc to stick on the bike also that states the correct engine number and states the bike insured is a Honda cb400 series nc23

i dont know how much real value it has but its nice to have a few official documents in thai to show the cops to show them the bike is not stolen and it is also insured

probably not enough but of course ,any documents is better than nothing

What about insurance?

It would be more accurate to say that there are insurance companies who will be happy to take your money and sell you a policy, but when the day comes that you need to make a claim, they will be perfectly justified in denying said claim based on the fact that the vehicle is not road legal.

What about insurance?

It would be more accurate to say that there are insurance companies who will be happy to take your money and sell you a policy, but when the day comes that you need to make a claim, they will be perfectly justified in denying said claim based on the fact that the vehicle is not road legal.

BBBKK yes this is right as this never happend for myself i have no idea but i can imagine they will refuse to pay. Neither i read of any cases like this, would be interesting though. I just mentioned it is possible to get an insurance which is fact cause i do have such, about policies etc. no idea. Another thing is that the insurance paper is helping alot if you get stopped by BIB (unplated bike)