Thailand Buys Chinese Tablet Computers For Schools

webfact

Thailand buys Chinese tablet computers for schools

BANGKOK, May 10, 2012 (AFP) - Thailand on Thursday signed a multi-million dollar deal to buy hundreds of thousands of Chinese-made tablet computers for primary school children, an official statement said.

The ruling Puea Thai party, linked to former Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra, promised to issue free handheld computers to a million students as part of a raft of pledges that helped it to an election victory last year.

Other undertakings included a rise in the minimum wage and increased rice prices for farmers, and Puea Thai -- led by Thaksin's sister Yingluck Shinawatra -- has been accused by the opposition of populism.

Information and Communication Technology (ICT) minister Anudit Nakornthap inked a contract with Shenzhen Scope Scientific Development Co Ltd, one of four companies "suggested by the Chinese government".

"The first batch of 400,000 tablets, costing $32.8 million, will be delivered within 60 days," he said in statement, adding that a repeat order would not exceed one million machines.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-05-10

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ICT signs MOU with China, acquiring 400,000 tablets

BANGKOK, 10 May 2012 (NNT) – The Thai government has signed an MOU with a Chinese tablet manufacturer who agrees to provide Thailand with 400,000 tablet PCs worth altogether 32 million US dollars.

Information and Communication Technology Minister Anudith Nakornthap witnessed the signing of the agreement between his ministry and the Shenzhen Scope Scientific Development Co., Ltd. on Thursday. The Chinese company will have to deliver the tablets within 60 days after the signing.

The tablets will be distributed as learning enhancement tools to first-grade students in Thai schools. Repeat purchase orders will be made later for up to 1 million additional tablets.

The specifications of the tablets include a 1.2 GHz single core CPU, 1 GB RAM, Lithium Polymer battery; they also come with a two-year warranty.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-05-10 footer_n.gif

ICT ministry contracts to buy Chinese tablets for Thai students

image_2012051015002635C3625C-9244-F67D-4433B21EAE2130A1.jpg

BANGKOK, May 10 – Thailand’s Ministry of Information and Communication Technology has contracted to purchase the first lot of 400,000 tablet computers to be delivered by a Chinese supplier in 60 days.

ICT Minister Group.Capt Anudit Nakhontap on Thursday signed a contract with the Shenzhen Scope Scientific Development, as part of the Thai government's project to distribute one million basic tablet computers to primary school students.

Each unit costs US$82 including its android operating system and the cost of delivery to Suvarnabhumi Airport. The remainder of the orders will be sent to Thailand within 90 days.

First grade students are expected to receive the computers by July.

The minister said the specifications in the contract are higher than those the procurement committee had specified earlier. The new tablets are specified to be equipped with a 1.2 GHz CPU, 1 GHZ ram, 3,600 mAh battery and GPS.

Chinese Ambassador to Thailand Guan Mu said the tablet quality is high and the price is reasonable.

Tablets produced for children are not as complicated as those for adults. The Chinese company and the Thai agency will set up service centres in Thailand and will have spare computers for use during repairs. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-05-10

400,000 tablets in 60 days.

If they work 24 hours a day that is close to 300 per hour.

Hats off if they can make that target.

Also be interesting to see where they get the materials from with current semicondutor lead times between 12-26 weeks! And can't imagine they would have risked pre-ordering too much given the uncertainty regarding this deal. BOM cost alone is probably 25million USD.

ICT signs MOU with China, acquiring 400,000 tablets

BANGKOK, 10 May 2012 (NNT) – The Thai government has signed an MOU with a Chinese tablet manufacturer who agrees to provide Thailand with 400,000 tablet PCs worth altogether 32 million US dollars.

Information and Communication Technology Minister Anudith Nakornthap witnessed the signing of the agreement between his ministry and the Shenzhen Scope Scientific Development Co., Ltd. on Thursday. The Chinese company will have to deliver the tablets within 60 days after the signing.

The tablets will be distributed as learning enhancement tools to first-grade students in Thai schools. Repeat purchase orders will be made later for up to 1 million additional tablets.

The specifications of the tablets include a 1.2 GHz single core CPU, 1 GB RAM, Lithium Polymer battery; they also come with a two-year warranty.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-05-10 footer_n.gif

A waste of money. How many will be broken or clogged up with BullSH** computer games after a week?

• Like 2

Also be interesting to see where they get the materials from with current semicondutor lead times between 12-26 weeks! And can't imagine they would have risked pre-ordering too much given the uncertainty regarding this deal. BOM cost alone is probably 25million USD.

Agreed.

However, I'm sure they're not completely JIT, and must be having units/parts of the same necessary configuration already in their inventory.

It'll still be a race against the clock!

This Is going to be fun, epic thread just started. At that price the materials used must be the best and long life guaranteed, Thai kids will respect the item, and take care. Infrastructure ready???? in 60 days ??? all pre training finished, and electric installed in all schools, WITH charge up points. Will they have protected covers ??? or are they scratch proof ???

• Like 1

Not even the Chinese can produce so much with so little in such a short time.

No but it doesn't matter as the kick-back is already agreed.

If the tablets ever arrive isn't important.

• Like 1

Again, Taxpayers pay.

And of course nothing is mentioned of how it will fit into the teaching plan. What materials have been specifically developed for this device. And what support has been budgeted for this. Support is usually 2-3x times the cost of the hardware. Probably more with regards to getting it to integrate into educational programs.

it matters not one jot about the teaching materials, the timescales, the quality etc.etc. All that matters is that PTP have kept their promise, the details of the promise are unimportant, because the politicos can blame that on someone else.

• Like 2

Just a thought on training the teachers how to use these tablet.

When the Thai Government has organised the hiring of all the english speaking expats

as assistant english teachers, these expats can then teach the Thai teachers

how to use the tablets. I'm sure the expats won't mind.whistling.gif

Edited by kevjohn

Again, Taxpayers pay.

Of course that is the purpose of paying taxes.....

To ensure a good life for politicians.....

This Is going to be fun, epic thread just started. At that price the materials used must be the best and long life guaranteed, Thai kids will respect the item, and take care. Infrastructure ready???? in 60 days ??? all pre training finished, and electric installed in all schools, WITH charge up points. Will they have protected covers ??? or are they scratch proof ???

Didn't they vote in new iPads and iPhones for themselves? Why not order these same tablets for themselves?

• Like 1

I'd like to know where the tablets are going, are they for the hi-so kids in Bkk or the rural village kids?

I think the 'hi-so" kids would laugh at cheap tablets from China. Pretty sure they all have ipads or Galaxy eh?

• Like 2

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

They have more chance of platting fog than meeting that deadline. I am sure the price was 79 USD before. Now it is 82 USD? What about the other 8 or 9 million kids?

I'd like to know where the tablets are going, are they for the hi-so kids in Bkk or the rural village kids?

I think the 'hi-so" kids would laugh at cheap tablets from China. Pretty sure they all have ipads or Galaxy eh?

I'm not sure you understood my question. I do not wonder if the Bkk kids will like the tablets, I wonder who's getting them.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

They have more chance of platting fog than meeting that deadline. I am sure the price was 79 USD before. Now it is 82 USD? What about the other 8 or 9 million kids?

As an earlier poster said -"they kept their promise" apart from the other 8 million ???? These first few will go to hi So schools, who have electric and internet-and charge up outlets and teachers familiar, with a Chinese parts and repair centre nearby. Ha Ha Ha Ha

I'm not sure you understood my question. I do not wonder if the Bkk kids will like the tablets, I wonder who's getting them.

1,000,000 first-grade studens in Thai schools.coffee1.gif

I understood it mate. What does it matter who gets them? Unless they change the way/what they teach here in Thailand i don't see a tablet helping any student. I also think real hi-so kids are in private schools so wouldn't be in the mix for a free tablet.

Agree with another poster here that we will most likely see these things sold off, on the black market and so on. A gimmick from the start that will now turn into a joke. The money could be better spent educating teachers how to teach.

First it was a pad for every student then it was for only 400,000 then it was for 900,000 then 1,000,000 now 400,000

Stay tuned for further developments.coffee1.gif

It was a pad for every student and Yingluck had a Samsung tablet in her pretty hand. Even no one promised it, you got the idea that you would get a good brand value tablet.

(I think in South Korea they use the Samsung tablets).

No a few get a cheapo tablet, which will be broken after 6 month with no warranty because the company doesn't exist anymore......

South Korea: They load the books on it, so they save a lot money by not printing the books.

Thailand: The tablets have to stay in the school so the kids can't use them at home.

That is unbelievable silly. Even with corruption they should be able to pull something better.