Non Inmigrant With Thai Kid

Hi there!

I'm not married, but I live together with my couple (Thai citizen) and our son (double nationality).

Every year I go back to my country (Spain) and I get a new Non Inmigrant "O" visa for a year. Of course, once back in Thailand, I must leave the country every 3 months.

For issuing the visa, the embassy in Madrid asks for the child birth certificate, which I obviuosly have, and my wife/girlfriend passport copy, dated and signed. I'm tired of this situation, because I depend totally on my wife willing to sign that copy for me, and nobody knows what will happen in the future!

I would like to be able to get the "O" based in only in the fact that I have a kid of my own (who depends in every way on me). I have read and heard different stories about this same situation. Some of them say I must legalize my fathership by going to court.

Can somebody tell me if that's true? Since my kid was born in Bangkok, but now we live in Chiang Mai, where should I go? Do I need a lawyer to do that? What about that storie about going to the amphoe with 2 testimonies? Will they ask me a financial statement?

Thanks and cheers!

Emi

Read more here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/

Going to the amphur with two witnesses is no use.

The amphur will not ask for a financial statement, but immigration will if you apply fro an extension of stay based on your children. It will be either an income of 40,000 Baht a month (can be from abroad) OR 400,000 in a bank account in our name in Thailand.

I have obtained an O visa in the UK with the birth cert. and mothers letter etc however I understand this is now not allowed, you will need a Thai Court order, requires DNA test that you are indeed the father. Is Spain the same? rolleyes.gif

I have seen no such notice. If you have birth certificate a non immigrant O visa is even available in the countries around Thailand (but only single entry). In home countries believe multi entry is still available. It is extensions of stay that require legalization.

Thank's Mario for your answer. The link to the older post has been very helpful.

So seems that my only option is going to court...I just don't know if I must try it in Chiang Mai, where we have been living for the last 2 years, or in Bangkok, where the child was born. I have no clue where the child is registered...can't remember to register him anywhere, besides the birth certificate.

Kimera, I have been granted a multiple "O" last September in Madrid without any mention to DNA test, as Lopburi3 confirms, but they asked me for the mother's passport copy signed and dated.

My concern is that if one day the mother and me would split, I would loose both, the child and the visa.

Emi

For the legitimisation I suspect you need to go to the court for the district where the child is registered.

Since most records are nowadays electronic, the local amphur might be able to tell you where the child is registered on the household registration book.

Thank's Mario for your answer. The link to the older post has been very helpful.

So seems that my only option is going to court...I just don't know if I must try it in Chiang Mai, where we have been living for the last 2 years, or in Bangkok, where the child was born. I have no clue where the child is registered...can't remember to register him anywhere, besides the birth certificate.

Kimera, I have been granted a multiple "O" last September in Madrid without any mention to DNA test, as Lopburi3 confirms, but they asked me for the mother's passport copy signed and dated.

My concern is that if one day the mother and me would split, I would loose both, the child and the visa.

Emi

You should easily be able to do it in Chinag Mai if you have been living there for a couple of years. PM me and I can give you contact details of a lawyer to talk to.