Need Recommendation For Someone To Do My U.S. Tax Return

The following info is something I have in my records. It's from the US Embassy from at least a couple of years ago. I have not used either and cannot vouch for their quality, or even if they are still around.

TAX CONSULTANTS/PREPARERS IN BANGKOK

The following individuals/companies in Bangkok have indicated that they can provide tax consulting services and assist in the preparation of income tax returns for U.S. taxpayers in Thailand. The list is not exhaustive nor its inclusion meant to be an indication of U.S. Embassy endorsement for the quality of services available.

1. Taxplan Ltd.

4th Floor, Panunee Bldg.

518/3 Ploenchit Road (Next to Amarin Plaza)

Tel: 02-251-9832 / 02-251-2323

Fax: 02-652-0788

2. Nawarat, Williams & Co., Ltd.

Income Tax Services for Expatriate Americans

The Royal Place II

6/311 Soi Mahadlek Luang 2

Ratchadamri Road, Lumpini

Bangkok 10330

Tel: 089-925-9905

Fax: 02-650-5800

Email: [email protected]

American friends of mine have mentioned J.P. Rooney in the past and seemed to be happy with his service. Here's his link:

www.jprooney.com/Thailand-Business-Advisors.php

I'm having problems getting the link to work, but my ISP hasn't worked well recently. Looks like jprooney.com works fine.

Edited by Microwave

TaxAct, TurboTax, etc., ...some of the best and cheapest U.S. tax preparers...based worldwide...they work one-on-one with your in preparing your tax return...they walk you through the tax return preparation....and will work any hour of the day as long as you are there with them. And after you have filed your tax return (they can do that for you also) you can still use them throughout the year to plan for other tax scenarios. Personally, I use TaxAct as they are cheaper than TurboTax and every bit as good IMHO. Summary: use tax software.

I do use TaxAct and have for several years now. The problem is they are very weak in the Foreign Tax credit area. The fact that you cannot take a credit for foreign tax paid on the excluded income (line 15 on the Form 116) is not automatically calculated or even explained. The explanations and calculation on the foreign tax credits on the Alternate Minimum Tax on form 6251 are completely non-existent and you must do it yourself and manually overwrite the values in the form.

Unless you understand all that and are prepared to calculate yourself and overwrite values in the program it is better to get a professional to do the taxes, and even many of them are not fully familiar with details of foreign income and credits.

TH

Edited by thaihome

I do use TaxAct and have for several years now. The problem is they are very weak in the Foreign Tax credit area. The fact that you cannot take a credit for foreign tax paid on the excluded income (line 15 on the Form 116) is not automatically calculated or even explained. The explanations and calculation on the foreign tax credits on the Alternate Minimum Tax on form 6251 are completely non-existent and you must do it yourself and manually overwrite the values in the form.

Unless you understand all that and are prepared to calculate yourself and overwrite values in the program it is better to get a professional to do the taxes, and even many of them are not fully familiar with details of foreign income and credits.

TH

Just about every tax preparer who is doing more than 50 returns is using a professional program costing several thousand dollars that can handle just about any foreign income and credit scenario.

I find that in doing foreign taxes local taxes in that country have updates that

programs may or may not have. Also if you have a good guy doing it, they

often have tips that pay for themselves.