New Second Hand Scooter - What To Buy?

I hope this hasn't been asked recently, I did do a brief search and didn't find anything. I'm a casual rider. 1 or 2 times a week and not very far from home. Just for fun. I have an older Honda 125 Nova Sonic, but am getting tired of shifting and kicking to get it started after setting for many days. I would love an electric start!!

I don't use it that much, so don't want to buy something brand new. Used is perfect. Say 3-5 years old? What would you recommend? I don't ride on the highways, so speed isn't important. I don't really care about gas mileage. Being able to store the helmet under the seat would be great. I think you can do that with the Yamaha Elegance?

Also, how good are the auctions? Might be a good way to get a decent scooter that only needs a few repairs????

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

there are several auction places around bkk ,im not sure of the procedure but im sure

there are some good deals in some

highly recommenend you bring a thai (preferably a man if possible rather than your wife )

to help you understand the process

ramkamheang rd have a place ,also nonthaburi have another but not sure which days of the week

or month is auction day

I bought a used Elegance 2 years ago (carb, 1.5 years old, 8000km, 35k Baht). I am still happy with it. Yes, you can store a helmet under the seat, at least an open face. I would buy a used scooter again. Saves a lot money.

Get a second hand Honda. Older Yamaha scooters don't have fuel injection. Fuel injected Honda Airblades or Clicks can be bought for 20-30K. The FI system should ensure you'll never need to kick start it and it will start on the button no matter how long you leave it, as there is no carb.

Nothing wrong buying second hand providing it's service book is upto date. My year old Mio125GTX (CARB'ED) will be having it's 28,000km service this week and runs like a dream, sometimes i leave it parked up for a week or two with gasohol in the tank and despite a couple of extra cranks of the starter motor she fires up every time smile.png

Edited by karlos

Get a second hand Honda. Older Yamaha scooters don't have fuel injection. Fuel injected Honda Airblades or Clicks can be bought for 20-30K. The FI system should ensure you'll never need to kick start it and it will start on the button no matter how long you leave it, as there is no carb.

Get a used carb bike. So you are sure to never have problems with FI tongue.png

Edited by wantan

anyone ever bought a bike from a thai auction ?

ive heard you can pick up some great bargains (especially waves and such but sometimes bigger bikes end up there ) from finance company re-posessions and loan security etc but

never took the time to check it out

anyone ever bought a bike from a thai auction ?

ive heard you can pick up some great bargains (especially waves and such but sometimes bigger bikes end up there ) from finance company re-posessions and loan security etc but

never took the time to check it out

Never done it. I guess you need a lot of time for it. And you will sure not be the only one there. I guess there will be many professionals who know perfectly how much to pay to earn their income. Much work to save a bit money on a used bike, i guess. But maybe i am totally wrong and you get lots of bargains there? Maybe an easy way to make much money and get rich? :)

Wow! Great replies! But I'm a bit confused regarding carb vs. FI. Sounds like FI is good when the bike is left sitting for long periods but has other problems?

HA! Don't even want to try to make money at auctions. Just heard they have lots of bikes there and might be worth a peek. I live in Pattaya.

Thanks for all the great info.

No problems with carb if you use benzine. For using gasohol FI is safer. But better avoid letting the bike sit for days when using gasohol regardless of carb or FI.

Some say a carb is easier to be repaired from every repair shop. For problems with FI better go to a "professional" dealership. But most bikes will not have problems with FI of course.

Some say FI saves fuel. Some like FI because its a "new" technology (at least on small bikes).

Personally i prefer a carb and benzine. Others prefer FI and gasohol. Up to you :)

If it is the 3-4 baht per liter that is a concern (and that actually can mount up for others of us), some carbed bikes accept gasahol - they've got the green 91 sticker, typically. Hoses, gaskets and so forth resist rot.

And I second the ideas that Fi models rarely fail and usually start better.

Size of rider and comfort are important as well, so I'd suggest going to second-hand bike places and sit down on likely models. Inspect the underseat storage. Incidentally, most bikes have underseat hooks for helmet rings or metal loops that protect them from theft somewhat - unless they're premier types, when thieves are willing to cut and sew, I hear.

Edited by CMX

I heard of people picking up Honda waves for 10-15k but the big dealers would buy most of the real bargains before the auction even starts...

Big tea money job I would think having first pick to all the under priced goods so anything really really new or exotic would be pilfered

Sports cars and other desirable stuff ends up there sometimes and again usually bought by rich and well connected Thais who would get a phone call when a nice merc or BMW comes in and do a deal before anyone gets near it

My wifes father used to get a lot stuff there and resell it, he never gave me specifics of what he paid but I bought a few things at weller market value from him

No problems with carb if you use benzine. For using gasohol FI is safer. But better avoid letting the bike sit for days when using gasohol regardless of carb or FI.

Some say a carb is easier to be repaired from every repair shop. For problems with FI better go to a "professional" dealership. But most bikes will not have problems with FI of course.

Some say FI saves fuel. Some like FI because its a "new" technology (at least on small bikes).

Personally i prefer a carb and benzine. Others prefer FI and gasohol. Up to you smile.png

Well i prefer FI and Benzine then you'll never have any problems, why use Gasohol in a scooter when 91 benzine is usually available. Had a carb Airblade once and was a biatch to start if left for more than 3 days. FI is cheaper and more reliable and these days a no brainer over carb....

Personally i prefer a carb and benzine. Others prefer FI and gasohol. Up to you smile.png

I've been using carb + gasohol for 3 years in Honda click and airblade, nothing rotten yet.

But as Rickster says, 3 days hard to start, 7 days and 30+ kicks needed.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Well i prefer FI and Benzine then you'll never have any problems, why use Gasohol in a scooter when 91 benzine is usually available. Had a carb Airblade once and was a biatch to start if left for more than 3 days. FI is cheaper and more reliable and these days a no brainer over carb....

Yep, maybe i am getting old. I still don't feel "retro" when hearing my stereophonic records (LPs) :)

Of course not much to say against FI, even on scooters. But i don't like the idea to need any "computers" to change settings or to do diagnosis. But i will get used to it over the time i guess. I have to, as carbs seem to get rarer every year.

but the big dealers would buy most of the real bargains before the auction even starts...

Correct, that's the reason, why you don't see any PCX or newer Honda bikes at any auction.

Mostly some old (2-5 year old) Clicks or some overpriced 110i cc Waves.

Loads of Yamahas, some just a few months old, sometimes reasonably priced, but not cheap.

I heard of people picking up Honda waves for 10-15k

Yepp, if you consider a 5-8yo Wave with 40.000+ Km, you can make a real deal..tongue.png

Never forget, this is Thailand and NOBODY WILL GIVE YOU SOMETHING AS A PRESENT!!!!

I heard of people picking up Honda waves for 10-15k but the big dealers would buy most of the real bargains before the auction even starts...

Big tea money job I would think having first pick to all the under priced goods so anything really really new or exotic would be pilfered

Sports cars and other desirable stuff ends up there sometimes and again usually bought by rich and well connected Thais who would get a phone call when a nice merc or BMW comes in and do a deal before anyone gets near it

My wifes father used to get a lot stuff there and resell it, he never gave me specifics of what he paid but I bought a few things at weller market value from him

Exactly my thoughts, why i never tried to go to auctions. If you are interested in it or want to start some business it may be worth a try. But for just buying one used scooter its too much hassle. Maybe worth a try if you are willing to buy any interesting vehicle that may come along.

Exactly my thoughts, why i never tried to go to auctions. If you are interested in it or want to start some business it may be worth a try. But for just buying one used scooter its too much hassle. Maybe worth a try if you are willing to buy any interesting vehicle that may come along.

i doubt a farang would be allowed to interfere in a business like that ,you might get lucky and save a couple of grand here or there on a bike or two but as soon as you started buying everything with a view to selling it on for profit someone would be on your case

there is one of these places not far from the honda school on ramkamheang rd

i went in one sunday afternoon and there was loads of scooters and some pickups

in a yard ,no reserve prices on anything visible and then the security gaurd came over and told me

i have to leave and come back on whatever day if im interested in anything ...........

i doubt a farang would be allowed to interfere in a business like that ,you might get lucky and save a couple of grand here or there on a bike or two but as soon as you started buying everything with a view to selling it on for profit someone would be on your case

A farang is allowed what he/she is allowed to do by law :)

You need a thai "partner" for your business and maybe you need a bodyguard (or two or three...), but why not. Chances to get rich. And chances to die. TiT biggrin.png

I have a Kawasaki Cheer, about (I guess), 15 years old, which has a working electric start, and starts easily after a week or two sitting. However it has been wrecked several times, is held together by wire and those little plastic band thingies, leaks something (I'm not sure if it is engine oil or gasoline) all over the place, and has only one mirror (the place where the other mirror screwed in was ripped away in one of the accidents).

The bike drives nice and is reliable though, with good brakes and adequate power, and a comfortable seat with no rips. Plus you get a lot of amusing looks from Thais when driving something like that. I'd sell it for 10,000.

I bought a used Elegance 2 years ago (carb, 1.5 years old, 8000km, 35k Baht). I am still happy with it. Yes, you can store a helmet under the seat, at least an open face. I would buy a used scooter again. Saves a lot money.

I went out today and did some shopping. Lazy me. Saw the new Yamaha Nuovo. Very nice. Saw the Honda PCX. A bit too big for me, but very nice. Saw the click, etc. One shop had some nice used models that were only 6 months old or so. At a bit of a discount. 2011 Elegance with 3k on it for about 50k. Had the nice wheels. Brand new condition.

But I'll a cheapie, won't use it that much, so only want to spend 20k or so. If I used it on a daily basis, the new bike would be the way to go.

Friend of mine has a Mio 125 GP/Fiat limited edition, liquid cooled, for sale.

Sept. 2010, three or four small scratches, 16.000 Km, blue/white.

Top running condition. He wants 25.900

Green book, insurance, tax ok.

PM if interested.

I went out today and did some shopping. Lazy me. Saw the new Yamaha Nuovo. Very nice. Saw the Honda PCX. A bit too big for me, but very nice. Saw the click, etc. One shop had some nice used models that were only 6 months old or so. At a bit of a discount. 2011 Elegance with 3k on it for about 50k. Had the nice wheels. Brand new condition.

But I'll a cheapie, won't use it that much, so only want to spend 20k or so. If I used it on a daily basis, the new bike would be the way to go.

Where are you in Thailand???

I saw a nice FI Honda Airblade recently on Rama IV for 20K

PM if interested.

Hmmm...let me go look at a few around here and I'll let you know. I'm in Chonburi province.

PM if interested.

Hmmm...let me go look at a few around here and I'll let you know. I'm in Chonburi province.

That's a pretty decent price and believe it or not these 'Rossi models' are pretty sought after by Thais.... Marketing! biggrin.png

I just did the 28,000km service on my 2011 Mio125 (exactly the same bike as above)

And all was in order, even the CVT belt was fine, roller weights fine, clutch fine, fine, everything was just fine. In the end i paid 480Baht for the service including hub and engine oil, air filter, spark plug and a light bulb.

28,000 trouble free kilometers and it (like the one above) is carbed smile.png

Edited by karlos