Good School To Learn English

Rumblecat

Hi, wondered if anybody had experience (or knew from other people) recommended schools for a Thai to learn English in Bangkok. Preferably not Wall Street as the person looking to learn had a bad experience with pushy sales staff there. Inlingua looks quite good, but obviously there's a wide choice of schools out there.

There are loads of choices to choose from. I'm guessing seeing as you mentioned Inlingua and Wall Street that you're looking for a private language school?! Also, where abouts are you based?! Inlingua has more than one branch in Bangkok. However you could try Elite Training Institute? They're based on Sathorn near Surasak BTS.

I have a few friends who have learnt English there and found it helpful and reasonable. :)

There is only one place to study English with success in Thailand and that is the British Council. You can find their address and telephone number by doing a web search - one problem however is that you have to sit an entrance test and there is usually a waiting list before being accepted - The rest all there to grab your money and make a second rate service look good!wai.gif

There are loads of choices to choose from. I'm guessing seeing as you mentioned Inlingua and Wall Street that you're looking for a private language school?! Also, where abouts are you based?! Inlingua has more than one branch in Bangkok. However you could try Elite Training Institute? They're based on Sathorn near Surasak BTS.

I have a few friends who have learnt English there and found it helpful and reasonable. smile.png

Thanks- actually live in the Sathorn area, but round Siam etc is fine too- anywhere by BTS. But, yes, a private language school. Will pop in and have a look at Elite Training- their website is a bit vague on details. Cheers :)

When my wife wanted to improve her English I actually found a private instructor who was Thai but grew up and was educated in the US, had a US degree in Education and taught English to employees of Thai companies. Having an instructor who could speak Thai was tremendously helpful to her. Unfortunately she moved back to the US to continue her education but a private option worked best for us. Looked at a few English schools including the ones mentioned on this board and was not impressed! Just look around and see who the teachers are! 4 weeks of training and they're teachers? Plus many aren't even native english speakers! Yikes!

I have a few friends who have learnt English there and found it helpful and reasonable. smile.png

Thanks- actually live in the Sathorn area, but round Siam etc is fine too- anywhere by BTS. But, yes, a private language school. Will pop in and have a look at Elite Training- their website is a bit vague on details. Cheers smile.png

yeah it's best if you go in and have a chat with them. They're a friendly bunch. :)

Thanks, but they're looking for a school (and a classroom environment) rather than a private tutor.

Looked at a few English schools including the ones mentioned on this board and was not impressed! Just look around and see who the teachers are! 4 weeks of training and they're teachers? Plus many aren't even native english speakers! Yikes!

Yeah, that's the problem- trying to find out which schools use teachers with proper training. Yikes is the word... :)

Anybody had an experience with Inlingua then?

Edited by Rumblecat

PM me, as a private tutor - Thai speaking. I am also British, and teach at an International school. My rates are much cheaper than Inlingua, and I use Thai to explain when the non-native English speaker does not understand.