Need Tips On Bali

Mrs CM and I are going to Bali in three weeks time and we've never been there before so we're looking for tips on what to see/do/avoid whilst we're there - I know of the reputation of Kuta but that's about all. We can be beach people but only for about one day, the rest of it needs to be about exploring and seeing places/things we've never seen before.

Our accomodation is taken care of and we're staying at Legian for three nights, possibly four, most likely we'll fly with Air Asia from Chiang Mai. Presumably there's a visa on arrival for UK and Thai passport holders but nice if someone can confirm.

So, any ideas or inputs to this quick jaunt, the hotel part of the trip is a freebie courtesy of where Mrs CM works at the Chedi so we've got some fairly upmarket accomodation in store, question is, what about the rest of it? Over to you and thanks in advance.

Ubud is very nice and relaxing http://www.ubud.com/ a lovely artists area

If you like curry, try Queens of India, excellent curry and good service.

Go up and see the rice terraces and have a meal or a coffee, a very nice sight p_rice.jpg

http://www.balidrive...rraces-in-bali/

Denpasar City Tour a half day tour is well worth a visit and the morning market is well worth a visit

Mount Ajung is well worth a visit and there are some reasonable eateries up there.

Seminyak is more upmarket and not too far from Kuta. http://wikitravel.org/en/Seminyak#b

Klungkung city/Palace/markets well worth a visit

Traffic is horrendous so "early starts" are essential if not walking.

Visa on arrival is USD $25 for a 30 day visa

Visa-free entry countries

Nationals of Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, Philippine, Hong Kong SAR, Macao SAR, Chile, Morocco, Peru and Vietnam are given visa-free entry facility for maximum of 30 days

DEPARTURE TAX

There is a departure tax of 150,000 IDR per person, payable on departure from Indonesia. This tax is payable in rupiah only. It is paid after check-in and before you pass through immigration. Children under the age of 2 are exempt from the departure tax.

I would advise very early arrivals when departing Bali, I found it took some considerable time to complete the formalities for some reason.

CATCHING A TAXI FROM THE AIRPORT

When you exit the terminal turn to your right and you will find the taxi booth. All taxi fares out of the airport are set price, posted on a notice board inside the booth. Tell the staff behind the counter where you are going, pay them the money and you will be given a slip of paper. Within a matter of seconds, your taxi driver will find you, help you with your luggage and take you to his taxi.

Taxis to Legian are around 55,000 rp.

One tip I can give you is try and handle your own bags. There are an abundance of porters waiting by the luggage carrousels and I found them to be a menace in their monetary demands. So a nice polite smile and "no thanks" where applicable.

I was there for a month in January 2012 and the prices I have quoted were applicable then.

Have a good trip

Eddie

NB we negociated a driver for the odd days which were reasonable to hire (barter) and found it more cost effective than tours.

Edited by edwinclapham
  • Like 1

UK Nationals, visa on arrival US$25. Currency exchange available there. Thai Nationals free! Don't forget the departure tax too!

I found water pretty much the same as here, ie be cautious.

Don't hire a car or a bike, but make sure the taxi uses the meter.

Shopping in Kuta at Discovery Mall, or in Seminyak/Legian region. Also some good craft markets in Ubud together with the monkey forest and Dirty Duck restaurant.

Beaches are kind of dark - volcanic sand - but can be long and flat so great for walking.

Seminyak area excellent for eating out. Avoid Kuta unless you want Hard Rock Cafe, Fosters beer, KFC etc.

Day trips great for finding your way around, visiting temples and shows etc. Many stop off at jewelry shops, which may not be that exciting! There is an evening/sunset Balinese dance at one of the temples in the South - forget the name, but it is well known locally.

EDIT ........ posted around the same time as edwinclapham, so some duplicate thoughts. Apologies.

Edited by itishothere

Apologies, it seems we're staying one night at Tama Gaja Ubud which is about one hour north of the airport, up in the mountains and the rest of the time at Legian.

I think you will enjoy Ubud, away from the maddening crowd.

The Royal Water Palace is also a wonderful area http://wikitravel.org/en/Tirta_Gangga#b

Beer is very cheap as are cigarettes if you are a smoker. Spirits are extortionate.

Unfortunately much of the pricing system is geared to the Australian market, but as in Thailand bartering is well accepted,

1.00 THB = 293.780 IDR Thai Baht Indonesian Rupiah 1 THB = 293.780 IDR 1 IDR = 0.00340391 THB

Edited by edwinclapham

Me and the Mrs. did part of our honeymoon there a few years back. We did a helicopter ride and really enjoyed that, though a bit pricey. Also took an adventure tour which included a visit to a balinese home, the terraced rice fields, some shopping and lunch looking out over the volcano. Of course you have to try the Leewak coffee and see how its "processed!" Great surfing there too if you're into that. Have fun!

I would avoid Kuta at all costs. It's horrible. The "cowboys" harassed my wife, jeering and yelling at her. Even following us down the street yelling, whistling. I've never encountered something like that in all my travels with her...which are extensive. She even got propositioned by a guy outside Ubud while holding my hand! Incredibly rude the things he was saying. Luckily, our guide backed him off, but it wasn't pretty.

That aside, we loved Ubud. Do a guided walk along the river and across the rice fields. It's really beautiful. Try to see the dance show they have in town. Pretty neat. If your real lucky, you can witness one of the funerals. They're massive. Not far away are the various art villages. Each one specializing in something different. Lots of stuff to buy (sharpen your negotiating skills!). And there's a pretty neat temple area to explore also. We did this via a hired car and driver. Worked out great for a day trip.

We stayed in Legian and it's OK. Nice sand beach, great body surfing waves. Seminyak is great for dinning and has a few nightspots that are fun.

The rice terraces are beautiful, but be very careful of the scam there. They are good and in cahoots with the police. Don't touch any souvenir they hand you....ever. Our guide was great and body checked the vendors to keep them away!!

The temple by the sea is pretty cool, but as stated above, traffic coming back was horrendous. Took us almost 2 hours to get back to Legian.

The volcano is pretty cool also. We got there and the weather turned, so couldn't do the hike into it, but it was still beautiful from the rim.

We ate at some seaside restaurants down the coast from Kuta, I don't know the name, but they were quite nice.

post-5869-0-76955200-1337310110_thumb.jp

post-5869-0-11717400-1337310125_thumb.jp

post-5869-0-59993100-1337310143_thumb.jp

post-5869-0-31305200-1337310158_thumb.jp

post-5869-0-24023500-1337310173_thumb.jp

post-5869-0-02514400-1337310196_thumb.jp

Thanks Criag, that's truly useful information, much appreciated.

A couple of questions:

1) It looks like it's better to take USD as currency, correct or not?

2) My wife and I are married (local ceremony only) but not legally so in that we haven't been to the Amphur, any issues in respect of staying together?

Thanks again.

Thanks Criag, that's truly useful information, much appreciated.

A couple of questions:

1) It looks like it's better to take USD as currency, correct or not?

2) My wife and I are married (local ceremony only) but not legally so in that we haven't been to the Amphur, any issues in respect of staying together?

Thanks again.

US$ is probably the way to go The exchange rate was good in January) and no worries about your marriage at all we are never asked for our wedding certificate.

I note Craig's experience which must have been very unpleasant but we have never experienced anything like this at all in all of our travels except Goasad.png . Luck of the draw maybe.

None at all. Same as here really, so long as she as ID - like you - for the hotel, then no problem. You may get odd glances, Balinese people are used to white (mainly Australian) faces, but they will be inquisitive to know where your wife is from. They don't get too many Thais, and for them Thailand is a far off, unknown, maybe exotic place.ermm.gif

I am generalising of course. But the last time I was there, a couple of the lads working in the bars almost begged me to bring them a Thailand t-shirt or something with me next time I visited. That was, of course, after I explained that I couldn't afford the latest Chelsea Football strip!laugh.png

Thanks IHH.

I've just been reading the travel advisory sites warnings put out by UK and other governments and it sounds as though the scammers are all well versed in their trade, warnings about pickpockets, thefts, scams etc, I can't believe it's any worse than here, or is it? And yes I know, the government travel advisory sites generally have to cover all the angles for everyone so probably a little overdone.

the scammers are all well versed in their trade, warnings about pickpockets, thefts, scams etc, I can't believe it's any worse than here, or is it?

In my view .... NO!

Bali isn't much without tourism, and whilst some low-lifes try it on, the majority of people recognise that fact. I don't know how long you have survived in Thailand, but suspect you will be well prepared for Bali.thumbsup.gif

Bali is great. A few days in Kuta is enough. Ubud is beautiful and you will love it there. Try going to Lovina up north,nice vocanic beaches and very tropical surroundings. Not far from Kuta you have one of the best beaches,it might have changed a bit now because i haven't been there for a few years,but a very good place called Uluwatu. Great for seeing the sunset!

Thanks IHH.

I've just been reading the travel advisory sites warnings put out by UK and other governments and it sounds as though the scammers are all well versed in their trade, warnings about pickpockets, thefts, scams etc, I can't believe it's any worse than here, or is it? And yes I know, the government travel advisory sites generally have to cover all the angles for everyone so probably a little overdone.

Whilst we were there ChaingMai, we were pretty impressed with security on the whole at restaurants etc.

We had our drinks marked up pretty severely which can happen anywhere in the world, but I was certainly more careful after the lst rip off lol.

I found the Balinese to be a lovely nation of people on the whole and very helpful.

We took (in our case from Australia) some nice wallets/purses as tips for our hotel staff and they were thrilled with those. You in Thailand certainly have a better selection of souvenirs @ a better price.

We ate at some seaside restaurants down the coast from Kuta, I don't know the name, but they were quite nice.

Jimbaran Bay.

The whole of Bali is a fantastic place for a holiday and I think you'd struggle to beat it anywhere in Asia IMHO. I'd be living there, or somewhere else in Indonesia, now if it wasn't for their visa policy.

It can be pricey in the touristy places though, if you see a menu or prices in US $ then time to move on.

I was going to name a few of my favourite spots, but there are really are too many to list - Enjoy Yourself thumbsup.gif

I was just talking with wifey. The guide said the "boys" had mistaken her for a hooker from Java. I guess there are quite a few there, and we did see some in the nightclubs. Overall we LOVED Bali. But didn't like Kuta.

Scams are everywhere. I was amazed at how many we witnessed first hand in Paris a few years ago. So we are use to them also, but this was the scam where if you held the object, they demanded money and the local cop was in on the take. So you ended up having to hand over the money. A real pain. Our guide took care of us.

IMHO, Ubud and places outside Kuta/etc is the place to be. Absolutely paradise. Palm trees, rice terraces, smoking volcanoes....amazing. We spent a few nights up in the hills before you get to Lovina. Really beautiful.

You can get money out of ATMs there, but with the exchange rate, you can't get much. And even then, you end up with a brick of money. It's over 9000 to the USD now.

As for not being married, no biggie.

Yes, that was it. Jimbaran Bay. We were there 2 weeks before that second blast! Just 2 restaurants away.

One of my dream trips is to explore the rest of Indonesia. Spend maybe a month doing it. Still a dream for now....

You'll have a great time. Enjoy!!!!

Given that Java (anese) women are typically stunning, your wife should take that as a compliment, in part at least.

I was just talking with wifey. The guide said the "boys" had mistaken her for a hooker from Java. I guess there are quite a few there, and we did see some in the nightclubs. Overall we LOVED Bali. But didn't like Kuta.

Scams are everywhere. I was amazed at how many we witnessed first hand in Paris a few years ago. So we are use to them also, but this was the scam where if you held the object, they demanded money and the local cop was in on the take. So you ended up having to hand over the money. A real pain. Our guide took care of us.

IMHO, Ubud and places outside Kuta/etc is the place to be. Absolutely paradise. Palm trees, rice terraces, smoking volcanoes....amazing. We spent a few nights up in the hills before you get to Lovina. Really beautiful.

You can get money out of ATMs there, but with the exchange rate, you can't get much. And even then, you end up with a brick of money. It's over 9000 to the USD now.

As for not being married, no biggie.

Yes, that was it. Jimbaran Bay. We were there 2 weeks before that second blast! Just 2 restaurants away.

One of my dream trips is to explore the rest of Indonesia. Spend maybe a month doing it. Still a dream for now....

You'll have a great time. Enjoy!!!!

Ha! Just got this in my inbox...check out the first one!!!:

http://www.budgettra...isrc=newsletter

Also, this is a great site for more info...scroll down for the Bali part:

http://tezzasthaiinf...7/06/index.html

Wow, that first picture in the first link is breathtaking, I scrolled down the list and see that I'm about to make three out of the ten (Penang and Key West), I'd best get my skates on!

The "cowboys" harassed my wife, jeering and yelling at her. Even following us down the street yelling, whistling. I've never encountered something like that in all my travels with her...which are extensive. She even got propositioned by a guy outside Ubud while holding my hand! Incredibly rude the things he was saying.

Now you know what it's like to be a western woman walking down the street with her western boyfriend/husband in the seedier parts of Thailand. tongue.png

Given that Java (anese) women are typically stunning, your wife should take that as a compliment, in part at least.

wai.gif

And this was quite a few years ago. When she was even younger and more cute. Age is "usually" not friendly to us humans!!!! sad.png At least to me!!

The "cowboys" harassed my wife, jeering and yelling at her. Even following us down the street yelling, whistling. I've never encountered something like that in all my travels with her...which are extensive. She even got propositioned by a guy outside Ubud while holding my hand! Incredibly rude the things he was saying.

Now you know what it's like to be a western woman walking down the street with her western boyfriend/husband in the seedier parts of Thailand. tongue.png

It's not just Western women. We use to live in Bangkok and loved a pool hall called Swan Bar on Soi 4, just past Nana Plaza. We then went to Hillary Bar where they usually have great live music (seen Carabao there several times). The walk past Nana Plaza was a pain for wifey....and me!!!!! Did it not long ago and the place is now swamped with aggressive lady boys.

Sorry for being OT!!!!! wai.gif

thumbsup.gif Thats also my plan. I'm 50 next year and, all being well, I plan to jack-in work and really see Indonesia. Though I think its going to take a while - I was thinking 2-3 years. Its a vast sprawling archipelago and I reckon its going to take a long, long, time to get around it all. I've enjoyed the last few years in Thailand, but I'm itching to get back to RI.

Edited by londoedan