Headlight Modulator/Flasher

I want to fit either high intensity driving lights or a headlight modulator for extra visibility in the hope that the local drivers will at least see me a bit better. I think that the modulator will achieve this a bit better than more lights

Are modulators legal in Thailand, or more correctly are they specifically disallowed in the event that Mr. Plod decides to make an issue of it

I want to fit either high intensity driving lights or a headlight modulator for extra visibility in the hope that the local drivers will at least see me a bit better. I think that the modulator will achieve this a bit better than more lights

Are modulators legal in Thailand, or more correctly are they specifically disallowed in the event that Mr. Plod decides to make an issue of it

One thing to think about a modulater flashes your lights. Correct?

In Thailand generally means I'm coming through BUT it also means 'I've seen you '

I would go the extra lights route. Maybe on a switch so you can flash the tin can as it's pulling out in front of you :D

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

I am seeing alot more cars and motorcycles with led lights under the car/truck/bike. Have you thought about that? I just saw some for 150 baht at Big C. If you want brighter any of the custom LED/Light shops can make them. Also, Autobacs has some very bright Audi style LED clusters, but they aren't cheap. These can be mounted in front or even behind, or really anywhere, but are bulkier than the LED strips. Any of these might be alternatives to a headlight modulator. For my own bikes, on my chopper I installed an HID headlight, and my sport bike I am in the process of putting some LED accent lights on to increase visibility, and to swap out my regular lights for brighter LED tail light, signals, and headlight.

As for your question, I am not sure, but I wouldn't think a modulator would be road legal, so you may want to avoid putting a red flag up to the police, announcing "I am a falang with money, see my big flashy bike, come get some money!" Even my HID Xenon headlight gets me flagged down 1 or 2 times out of 10 that I drive around Bangkok. As far as I know, HID headlights on motorcycles are not legal, but any kind of accessory light, like extra accent lights or under vehicle lights, are legal on any vehicle.

The modulators I have seen in the U.S don't seem intrusive to other drivers as they go from dim to bright at a given linear rate. They attract the brain's attention however which is the whole point. I would say put them on and see what happens. You can always disable them when you see possible complications ahead!

The modulators I have seen in the U.S don't seem intrusive to other drivers as they go from dim to bright at a given linear rate. They attract the brain's attention however which is the whole point. I would say put them on and see what happens. You can always disable them when you see possible complications ahead!

Ahhh there would be your problem using these modulaters here in Thailand

"They attract the brain's attention "

:D:D:rolleyes:

sent from my Wellcom A90+

• Like 1

Clearwater LED lights come with a dimmer switch. I have mine turned full bright while running in daylight. I have them wired so that when I hit the finger operated high beam flash switch, the headlight goes to high beam and the Clearwaters turn off. that way, when I rapidly flick the switch at an oncoming car, they see the two sets of lights flashing at them out of sinc -- very visible.

If you add a modulator, also add a switch to be able to deactivate the modulator. If you get stopped, deactivate the modulator as you are pulling in. Tell the cop that you were manually flashing the lights and show him that they don't flash by themselves.

Whenever I get stopped, I grin like an idiot and speak non-stop in broken Thai and English. Soon the cop becomes annoyed and tells me to get on my way. This has worked for me 100% of the itme -- so long as my wife is NOT with me. If she's along, the cop speaks with her, she won't play the game, and I have nothing but trouble. Maybe I'm a sick fuc_k, but I rather enjoy getting stopped by Thai police. Not at all like the jack booted Gestapo in the U.S.