Several Stops

rod2011

My girlfriend and I are hoping to visit Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam in July and August. We plan to do a few days in Laos a week in Cambodia (Phnom Pen) then 2 weeks in Vietnam (Ho Chi Min & Na Trang). The plan is to fly from Bangkok to start with but not sure which country to visit first, any suggestions ?

Are there any benefits of vistisng one country before another, like cheaper entry visas ?

Finally any 'must do' places in any of the countries.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions,

I think you'll do better with this over in the Southeast Asia forum. So I'll move this topic over there.

As for the trip, it'll be great! So much to see and do. One factor will be visas. If I am not mistaken, you'll need to pre-apply for the VN one. Can't get it on arrival if you are a farang. I think Thai's are OK though.

Cambo: Do you really want to spend a week in PP? Too much time IMHO. Angkor Wat is worth at least 3 days. More if you want to explore the nearby lake, and have a rest day also to explore the town. PP can be "done" in a day or so. Again, IMHO.

Laos: We loved Luang Prabang. Worth several days there for sure.

Vietnam: Wow...you could spend a month or more exploring this area. I loved the delta region (great to do a 2-3 day trip there). Hoi An is worth a few days as is Hue. If you like hill tribes, Sapa up north is great. As is Ha Long Bay. Great to do a 3 night boat trip there. You could easily spend a week in and around Hanoi.

• Like 1

the trip that you propose is overly ambitious...my suggestion is to be more focused; a little here and a little there and spend a lot of time on the hotel veranda relaxing with a nice drink and good company...

if you come to SE Asia for the beaches then OK but I would prefer to spend time in a sidewalk cafe in Hanoi with the nice local coffee or a nicely chilled Bier Hanoi and to look at the traffic which is always interesting...

and I remember a middle aged woman with pyjamas and a cone hat that unfurled her magnificent long hair as she was looking after a small child and I was then immediately in love and I wanted to approach her to declare my love and that would've been OK in Thailand but not street side in Hanoi but she did notice my attention and smiled at me...she was unforgettable...

just my own suggestion...

• Like 1

For Vietnam I would recommend no more than 2 nights in HCMC. Can get overnight tours to Mekong Delta – Buffalo tours are a reasonable operator. Fly HCMC to Nha Trang. Taxi from airport to Nha Trang 250,000 dong. Train Nha Trang to Danang, then taxi to Hoi An. Fly Danang to HCMC & onto Halong Bay/Sapa. Flying is best option around Vietnam as 10/12 hours per trip on trains can get tedious. Do not travel on the long distance buses. Best currency for spending is US$. You need to check out the weather in Vietnam for your travel times as can have severe storms at that time

• Like 1

I agree with Craig's post.

Siem Reap is brilliant. PP ok for a day or so. A boat down the Tonle Sap to Siem Reap is pretty spectacular.

We love Vietnam and 2nd honeymooned there, Halong Bay for a few nights on a junk is very special. Hanoi was one of my favourite cities, didnt think too much of Saigon.

Check out the weather for Vietnam " From July to November, violent and unpredictable typhoons hit central and northern Vietnam,"

Visa through an agent and collect on arrival or through the embassy

Visa Requirements for Thai citizens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Thai_citizens.. check to make sure this is uptodate.

Luang Prabang (World Heritage) .. much to see and also the monks collecting alms early morning is pretty spectacular.

WaterFalls. Kuang Si Falls.

• Like 1

For me also, I'd prefer Hanoi over Saigon. With limited time, skip PP. Travel is going to eat up a bunch of your time. As said above, fly as much as you can in VN. I did the exact route mentioned above. Others did the bus from Hue to Hanoi and said it was horrible. They did have a breakdown, which was a pain.

Have a blast!

• Like 1

For me also, I'd prefer Hanoi over Saigon. With limited time, skip PP. Travel is going to eat up a bunch of your time. As said above, fly as much as you can in VN. I did the exact route mentioned above. Others did the bus from Hue to Hanoi and said it was horrible. They did have a breakdown, which was a pain.

Have a blast!

Re: Vietnam

Agree Craig.. and plane travel is very reasonable .

We also used the train a fair bit which was great fun.. meeting the locals in the buffet cars and partaking in the odd beverage or tworolleyes.gif .

Sapa was also lovely, great scenery and views.

chau-long-sapa-hotel.jpg