'Big Red' (A Short Clip Of Riding In Mae Taeng)

Tonto21

Big Red’…The name of the Mountain, (very red dirt) not the blob on the bike!

In this short clip I’m trying to be more creative than just mounting the GoPro on the bars.

I would be happy to get any ideas/comments about both the riding and videoing……. shooting angles and such, (I’m planning to mount the camera high and shoot down on a ride past, or under a ‘jump ledge’ looking up….And so on.

I have a young, (ish) star in the making….he goes by the stage name; ‘T-dog’ (still a little shy)

If you don’t like the vids…..Sorry, there will be more. If you do like them I will post them, (in turn) on this tread, so check back.

……………………As always if you fancy a day in the Mae Taeng dirt, PM me.

Tonto.

Tonto.... Those videos turned out great! Thanks again for showing me the local trails. I'll repay the favor once you are up for a bit of a road ride up the Mae Taeng river. There is a killer climb into the wilderness with a nice waterfall at the end. Survival gear necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

Tonto.... Those videos turned out great! Thanks again for showing me the local trails. I'll repay the favor once you are up for a bit of a road ride up the Mae Taeng river. There is a killer climb into the wilderness with a nice waterfall at the end. Survival gear necessary.

Nice clips, exciting tracks. But you increased the movie speed a little bit, didn't you ...?

Nice clips, exciting tracks. But you increased the movie speed a little bit, didn't you ...?

Actually he didn't. The GoPro wide angle lens gives that feeling of speed as it picks up so much of the scene that has to go by. We ride fairly aggressively but it doesn't feel as fast as the video makes it appear.

Actually he didn't. The GoPro wide angle lens gives that feeling of speed as it picks up so much of the scene that has to go by. We ride fairly aggressively but it doesn't feel as fast as the video makes it appear.

I see! And however - the movies bring real action feelings.

I'm sure Tonto will appreciate hearing that. We did some more recording yesterday and he should be out with a new clip soon. Might even be some hard contact with a tree from a helmet cam!

I see! And however - the movies bring real action feelings.

Hi ‘rebo’

“Action feelings”……Yes that’s what I was going for, (we don’t ride at this pace the whole outing)

As ‘T_Dog’ pointed out the wide angle lens and riding with object close will draw the viewer in and it will appear to be speeded up, but it’s not……Another factor is the lower the camera is mounted, (closer to the ground) this will affect how fast one appears to be moving.

Glad you liked them, I’ve got some more raw riding footage now, so I’ll be posting some more as soon as I’ve done some editing.

Tonto.

Tonto uploaded another video one showing him paying homage to the gods of dirt. A sleeper rut gets him and sure enough there is a tree in his ballistic fall trajectory. The beginning is a short trail coming down from Wat Prae Quam Bow which is a popular road destination with the Thai cyclists up here. Miles and miles of trails up here.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been a on a couple dozen rides with Tonto now and we haven't done the same ride twice. Unreal how much single track riding there is up here. Today's ride was in the rain with lots of short technical climbs. Dlock...... come on up!