Exactly How To Calculate The Area Of A Condo In Thailand

Is suppose the answer may be there are many ways, depending on who is measuring. But I have tired 8 times with the figures I have to get the number of sq meters they gave me, and it NEVER adds up. Just want to make sure I am getting what I pay for in the end.

One of my main questions is do you include that area that is outside of your liveable zone for the air conditioner's compressor/fan??

Thanks for any input.

Edited by meand

Just want to make sure I am getting what I pay for in the end

does it really matter? actual m² are irrelevant, it's the layout, view and exposure to directions that counts. a condo of 100m² but a shitty layout and view is less valuable than one with 80m² and a good layout/view.

well it also effect the maintenance fee because its based on your sqm but I would think thats is based on all including balcony but Im not sure?Maby some forum members that have condos can tell how that works?

And should the seller not give you some kind of blu print/map/roomplan with the exact sqm of each room,toilet etc??

Edited by crille30

This submission is my best guestimate.

Consider, for convenience ,a condo with a non –curved balcony wall i.e. a simple rectangle

Nominal area : 2 dimensions multiplied generate this value.

Dimension 1

The centre line to centre line distance between the vertical columns.

Dimension 2

The distance between the outside of the balcony wall and the outside of the corridor wall

This area is typically used on Condo advertising

The Chanote area is this area less the area which is deemed common.

The common area with respect to this exercise is, I think, as follows:

1. Columns
  2. Balcony wall
  3. The wall which is on the corridor.- is more tricky. If they made the sweeping rule that the entire wall was common –then you would not be allowed to hang your main entrance door. So as a concession a 100 mm length of common area corridor wall is included as Chanote area . My condo has a split main entrance door –hinges left and right -so I get double rations.

Give it a try –it may even work.

The air conditioner external air blast heat exchangers are common property Chap 2 Section 15 -10 . Common fees must , in my view ,maintain them.

as an aside: The balcony wall is common(this restricts the activities of some idiots who may chose to remove it). However the building is obligated to maintain it and the safety rail that sits on it.

as a further aside : when you buy a condo you are paying for your private area and your contribution to the common area total i.e. swimming pools ,gardens ,columns etc. The price that you paid covers both parts .That is what you have bought.

• Like 1

Consider, for convenience ,a condo with a non –curved balcony wall i.e. a simple rectangle

Dimension 1

Dimension 2

The distance between the outside of the balcony wall and the outside of the corridor wall

1. Columns
  2. Balcony wall
  3. The wall which is on the corridor.- is more tricky. If they made the sweeping rule that the entire wall was common –then you would not be allowed to hang your main entrance door. So as a concession a 100 mm length of common area corridor wall is included as Chanote area . My condo has a split main entrance door –hinges left and right -so I get double rations.

The air conditioner external air blast heat exchangers are common property Chap 2 Section 15 -10 . Common fees must , in my view ,maintain them.

as an aside: The balcony wall is common(this restricts the activities of some idiots who may chose to remove it). However the building is obligated to maintain it and the safety rail that sits on it.

as a further aside : when you buy a condo you are paying for your private area and your contribution to the common area total i.e. swimming pools ,gardens ,columns etc. The price that you paid covers both parts .That is what you have bought.

I'll try to calculate this way when I can. The problem is I don't have some of those measurements at this point.

Dimension 1

Dimension 2

1. Columns
  2. Balcony wall

I'll try to calculate this way when I can. The problem is I don't have some of those measurements at this point.

Don't bother, it's nonsense.

Dimension 1

Dimension 2

1. Columns
  2. Balcony wall

I have reviewed the situation. My reference to 100mm concession is ,I now realize ,not correct.The entire corridor wall is Common

The rest I stand by . I have an architect's drawing of my condo .Comparing that to the Chanote -the balcony wall must also Common.

The columns certainly are Common Chapter 2 Sect 15 -3 determines this.

Some people attempt to help. Some people are happy just to criticize and add nothing.

Perhaps P.P could attempt to add something useful to satisfy the request of the O.P.

What is on the chanote is what it is.

Exactly.

The chanote measurement is what you will pay service fees on, the chanote measurement dictates your voting rights, and when you come to sell the condo the chanote measurement is what you will advertise as the size of the condo.

All other measurements are irrelevant.

To the OP...debating who owns the thickness of the hallway wall...really...is your room that small?

• Like 1

Dimension 1

Dimension 2

1. Columns
  2. Balcony wall

I have reviewed the situation. My reference to 100mm concession is ,I now realize ,not correct.The entire corridor wall is Common

The rest I stand by . I have an architect's drawing of my condo .Comparing that to the Chanote -the balcony wall must also Common.

The columns certainly are Common Chapter 2 Sect 15 -3 determines this.

Some people attempt to help. Some people are happy just to criticize and add nothing.

Perhaps P.P could attempt to add something useful to satisfy the request of the O.P.

I already did.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/556471-exactly-how-to-calculate-the-area-of-a-condo-in-thailand/#entry5317044

What is on the chanote is what it is.

Exactly.

The chanote measurement is what you will pay service fees on, the chanote measurement dictates your voting rights, and when you come to sell the condo the chanote measurement is what you will advertise as the size of the condo.

All other measurements are irrelevant.

To the OP...debating who owns the thickness of the hallway wall...really...is your room that small?

Thanks for the comments on the chanote.

I'm not sure where some comments are coming from. They gave me my sq meters, they gave me my condo measurements. There simply isn't any combination of calculating the area that comes out to the area number, so I was trying to get a standardized way to calculate it (which apparently does not exist). I don't really care who owns my hall or anything. But i'll look into this chanote :)

Edited by meand

I'm not sure where some comments are coming from. They gave me my sq meters, they gave me my condo measurements. There simply isn't any combination of calculating the area that comes out to the area number, so I was trying to get a standardized way to calculate it (which apparently does not exist). I don't really care who owns my hall or anything. But i'll look into this chanote smile.png

Sorry I realize it was "Delight" who was debating the area of walls, not you, my mistake.

• Like 1

I'm not sure where some comments are coming from. They gave me my sq meters, they gave me my condo measurements. There simply isn't any combination of calculating the area that comes out to the area number, so I was trying to get a standardized way to calculate it (which apparently does not exist). I don't really care who owns my hall or anything. But i'll look into this chanote smile.png

Sorry I realize it was "Delight" who was debating the area of walls, not you, my mistake.

I appreciate all the responses, I was confused too smile.png

Edited by meand