Teaching In Other Countries Outside Thailand

Hello everyone.

Back in the day, I was a certified teacher of English, Mathematics, and Educational Media. I taught in public schools in America and enjoyed teaching very much. About 10 years ago, I moved to Thailand, where I bought a condo and have a 30 years lease on a nice home with a big garden. I retired from teaching. I've lead a modest lifestyle. But I became bored with the watering of the plants, going to the beach almost everyday, etc. I decided to get back into teaching. The average salary offered me was about 32,000 baht a month (before taxes). So I decided to travel overseas and landed a nice teaching position in southern China. I was offered a position teaching English, Math, and Computer Information Technology at a private school offering the GAC curriculum (International Studies division). The students were quite studious, brilliant in mathematics, etc. But many students lacked the "critical thinking skills" needed to travel overseas to continue with their university education in USA, Canada, UK, Australia, or New Zealand. Nonetheless, it was a great experience for me.

But this year, I've been teaching English at a University preparatory program in Saudi Arabia. The students have great critical thinking skills, but many students lack the motivation or drive for learning the English language. Some students would rather text message others using their fancy blackberries than learning to write formal letters, for instance. I think that this is probably caused by the fact that the students are "paid" by the university to attend classes. Anyways, the students are quite adept in technology, most majoring in the sciences (medical research, bio-tech, etc.)

There are many teachers from the UK, Canada, USA, etc. teaching in the preparatory program. The salary is great. The average salary (TAX-FREE) is the equivalent of 112,000 baht per month for 12 month contracts. Teachers get free accomodation and utilities, round trip flights to their home country....in my case, Thailand), free medical insurance, transporation to and from school, visa reimbursement, and shopping trips provided to malls, several times a week. The only expense we have to pay for is for food, which is relatively cheap.The only major drawback is the rather restrictive way of life, with no alcohol allowed, no cinemas, etc...quite different from Thailand. I don't drink, so that doesn't bother me one bit. I do miss the cinemas, though. There are a number of teachers having ties (pun intended) to Thailand....married to Thais, own condos, etc., but have chosen to work in Saudi Arabia, or other Gulf countries.

While living in Thailand, has anyone been offered and has accepted teaching English or other subjects in other countries outside Thailand? What have your experiences been?

I thank you in advance for your thoughts.

I don't teach anymore as I lead a British School but in Qatar, teachers average 120-130,000 baht a month. Free accommodation for singles and married couples. Accommodation is huge, well furnished and close to the beaches. Free utilities, flights, medical etc.

Alcohol is available in the bars of the major hotels along with nightclubs. Cinema's are plentiful and within the shopping malls. Films are usually in either Arabic or English.

Food is as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. The city of Doha looks a bit like a construction site due to preparations for the World Cup etc. Lots of new infrastructure. Air-conditioned stadiums. This country is so rich it's insane.

Lots of Filipino's here, mostly females employed as maids, sales staff etc. Female company is therefore not hard to find. wink.png

post-75602-0-93241800-1337879500_thumb.j post-75602-0-30579100-1337879543_thumb.j

post-75602-0-79537100-1337879928_thumb.j

Edited by Phatcharanan

I don't teach anymore as I lead a British School but in Qatar, teachers average 120-130,000 baht a month. Free accommodation for singles and married couples. Accommodation is huge, well furnished and close to the beaches. Free utilities, flights, medical etc.

Alcohol is available in the bars of the major hotels along with nightclubs. Cinema's are plentiful and within the shopping malls. Films are usually in either Arabic or English.

Food is as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. The city of Doha looks a bit like a construction site due to preparations for the World Cup etc. Lots of new infrastructure. Air-conditioned stadiums. This country is so rich it's insane.

Lots of Filipino's here, mostly females employed as maids, sales staff etc. Female company is therefore not hard to find. wink.png

post-75602-0-93241800-1337879500_thumb.j post-75602-0-30579100-1337879543_thumb.j

Would there be much work in Qatar ?

Would there be much work in Qatar ?

Better money in HK if you got a pgce and some experience

Not really. I've worked there previously.

In HK you're taxed.

In Qatar its all tax-free. And gas is the equivalent of 8 baht a liter for premium 97 octane. smile.png

Don't get me wrong, HK is an amazing place and I loved every minute there.............but when posters ask about how much they can make, I always relate that to how much can they actually save? And believe me, you will save a LOT in Qatar.

I send 75% of my salary back to my bank in Thailand, every month without fail. And as you can see, I also run a 6 liter 4x4, eat at restaurants at the weekend, watch West Ham on satellite, go dune-bashing, jet-ski-ing and scuba at weekends.

Edited by Phatcharanan

Any positions open at your school if I am home country (UK) certified?

Edited by Tyrellius

Not really. I've worked there previously.

In HK you're taxed.

In Qatar its all tax-free. And gas is the equivalent of 8 baht a liter for premium 97 octane. smile.png

Don't get me wrong, HK is an amazing place and I loved every minute there.............but when posters ask about how much they can make, I always relate that to how much can they actually save? And believe me, you will save a LOT in Qatar.

I send 75% of my salary back to my bank in Thailand, every month without fail. And as you can see, I also run a 6 liter 4x4, eat at restaurants at the weekend, watch West Ham on satellite, go dune-bashing, jet-ski-ing and scuba at weekends.

I make 240,000 Baht a month and save 66% of that. I know it's not 75% but it does me.

Tax last year...I ended up paying 1.58% of my salary.

Due for a 5.8% civil servant pay rise in July too.

Edited by nottocus

I make 240,000 Baht a month and save 66% of that. I know it's not 75% but it does me.

Tax last year...I ended up paying 1.58% of my salary.

Due for a 5.8% civil servant pay rise in July too.

You make 240,000 a month as a PGCE qualified teacher?? That on the NET scheme?

What school is that?

Edited by Phatcharanan