Poor Customer Service Experience With Lenovo

SantiSuk

My G470 appears not to have wireless internet capability. My first task was to confirm this. I tried to download the User instruction manual (on 2 seperate occasions 3 days apart): the link is bust.

I contacted the Thailand helpdesk, having established that my system is still in warranty. I held on for 2 half hour periods unsuccessfully.

I noticed a driver for Intel wifi software on the product support pages. I had no idea whether this would help (I suspect it needs more than a piece of software and that I must purchase a wi-fi adapter, but my above attempts to get help have proved fruitless). So I tried that anyway - clicking on the link brought up a dialogue box in Chinese. I don't read Chinese and could not navigate around it.

Hopeless. This is a second machine for a family member. My first system is X-series and I have used these at home and work for nearly two decades and sung Lenovo's praises on websites. Never again (recommendations or purchases). I shall now publish this message on a Thai expatriates web-site to see if I can get any input there.

I left this on Lenovo's customer service survey. But can anyone help with the question?

Did you make sure the wifi switch is physically turned on? My Lenovo laptop has a little switch on the front with turns the wifi (and bluetooth) on/off. If that is turned off it will appear as if your laptop doesn't have a wifi adapter.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input. I do know about the slide button to turn the wireless receiver on and I have now downloaded the requisite driver, thanks for the page reference which looks the same as the one I used but may be a subtly different path (Lenovo's website is labyrinythine) which may be why I originally had problems and your page works.

The driver was insufficient for my needs though - I still had no visibility of my working wireless network nor of any wireless capability, suggesting there was no wireless adaptor installed.

I was successful in getting through to their helpdesk this afternoon. The technician confirmed that the machine would have

been sold with a wireless card, but when he prompted me to go to device manager and I explained what was coming up on my screen he suggested that something was clearly wrong with my OS setup and so I will restore Windows back to factory defaults tonight and take it from there.

Thanks for the input, but I don't agree with that guy's approach suggesting that one should expect (and presumably accept) crap service :-). E.g, I expect crap service from UK banks but I always send in a written complaint. I make a hundred quid or so a year for those whose money I look after, it makes me feel better and there is a small chance that the cumulative effect of guys like me can make a difference in the long run. Call me Mr Optimist! I recognise tht many people are too busy to adopt this approach though.

• Like 1