Bkk-Muc Best Middle Eastern Business Class...Airline Gurus Advise Please

I am planning a trip to Munich later this year and want to try one of the middle-eastern airlines. I will be flying business and am considering Emirates, Qatar, and Etihad. For those who fly back and forth between Swampy and Europe on these airlines, which has the best total flying experience (seats, in-flight service, and lounges). From my research and the general "buzz" regarding these airlines, they are all pretty nice...if that is the case, should I just choose based on price/schedule or are there marked differences between the three?

Edited by FarangBuddha

A couple things I noticed perusing their websites is that Qatar promotes their exclusive business/first class terminal in Doha, which looks nice, while Etihad does have their their free hotel-airport limousine transfer service in Bangkok and on the return (embarkation) city.

An upcoming airline that is getting good reviews for it's Business product is Omanair, I would suggest having a look at them also www.airlinequality.com.

Also chauffeur driven car, 60kms from BKK, 50kms from MUC.

http://www.omanair.com/wy/information-services/chauffeur-drive-service

Edited by beano2274

An upcoming airline that is getting good reviews for it's Business product is Omanair, I would suggest having a look at them also www.airlinequality.com.

http://www.omanair.c...r-drive-service

Thanks for the heads-up on this...I didn't even know about Oman Air; and that business-class seat does look like first-class on many other airlines! I note as well that they have their own dedicated lounge at Swampy.

Really promotional on the Biz fares too...cheapest so far to MUC and also, if I'm reading it right, a direct connection from Muscat to Munich (no inter-German transfer like on the others).

Just don't know if I could trust a ride in a car with a dude with that sharp a 'stash smile.png

Edited by FarangBuddha

Thanks for the heads-up on this...I didn't even know about Oman Air; and that business-class seat does look like first-class on many other airlines!

Just don't know if I could trust a ride in a car with a dude with that sharp a 'stash smile.png

Yes I know what you mean, if he turns around too quickly you lose your head.

I think Yermanee on here knows more about them, but am sure if you did a search here as well you would get more information, but they seem to be a great deal, not sure about prices for the times you want to go, but should be under 100,000THB.

I always check on airlinequality.com to see what people write, and the reports there about Business class seats with Oman Air are always very very good.

Thanks for the heads-up on this...I didn't even know about Oman Air; and that business-class seat does look like first-class on many other airlines!

Yes I know what you mean, if he turns around too quickly you lose your head.

I think Yermanee on here knows more about them, but am sure if you did a search here as well you would get more information, but they seem to be a great deal, not sure about prices for the times you want to go, but should be under 100,000THB.

I always check on airlinequality.com to see what people write, and the reports there about Business class seats with Oman Air are always very very good.

Yes, thanks again for the tip on this airline. The reports on the biz class service, from seats to lounges, on Skytrak are all glowing and the prices are really cheap for the level of service. The MUC flight I'm pricing totals around B 90k.

I love taking advantage of when these rich oil sheikhs subsidize their trophy airlines with these cheap prices for big service!

Edited by FarangBuddha

there are a few other good places to check

itasoftware is a good checker, you cannot buy from them

another (which yermanee uses) http://flights.idealo.com/ (although I know he uses the German one)

Thanks,

I'm indeed a fan of Oman Air..

Some info :

- Oman Air lounge in BKK (concourse E) - smallish but stylish with extremely friendly staff.

- Oman Air lounge in Muscat. - New, classy with all the trimmings

- Muscat airport. Small, easy to navigate and bus transfers from and to the aircraft no more than 2-3 minutes (unlike Qatar)

- On board - best business class seats I have ever had the pleasure off. (especially window seat as 1 - 2 - 1 configuration)

- Amenities - Nice silk box with all the usual and pijamas on night flights.

- Seats - Full sleeper bed

- Food - Comparable to Qatar's

- Entertainment : Few newish western movies but more than enough for me.

More info can be found here : http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/trip_reports/read.main/167162/

Note however that this trip report still features the old Muscat lounge.

Good luck !!

Yermaneewai.gif

• Like 1

there are a few other good places to check

itasoftware is a good checker, you cannot buy from them

another (which yermanee uses) http://flights.idealo.com/ (although I know he uses the German one)

Thanks,

I'm indeed a fan of Oman Air..

Some info :

- Oman Air lounge in BKK (concourse E) - smallish but stylish with extremely friendly staff.

- Oman Air lounge in Muscat. - New, classy with all the trimmings

- Muscat airport. Small, easy to navigate and bus transfers from and to the aircraft no more than 2-3 minutes (unlike Qatar)

- On board - best business class seats I have ever had the pleasure off. (especially window seat as 1 - 2 - 1 configuration)

- Amenities - Nice silk box with all the usual and pijamas on night flights.

- Seats - Full sleeper bed

- Food - Comparable to Qatar's

- Entertainment : Few newish western movies but more than enough for me.

More info can be found here : http://www.airliners...ad.main/167162/

Note however that this trip report still features the old Muscat lounge.

Good luck !!

Yermaneewai.gif

That was some trip report! The report is from 2 years ago so I wonder if the superlative service is still on offer...even the report writer speculated on if Oman would be able to keep up the level of IFS they were offering. As you say, there are also the new lounges in Muscat for biz/first passengers since this report was published.

All in all, it looks like Oman may be the one to go for...they still have the same seats and the price is sure right.

That was some trip report! The report is from 2 years ago so I wonder if the superlative service is still on offer...even the report writer speculated on if Oman would be able to keep up the level of IFS they were offering. As you say, there are also the new lounges in Muscat for biz/first passengers since this report was published.

All in all, it looks like Oman may be the one to go for...they still have the same seats and the price is sure right.

My last flight with them was December last year, and did enjoy the new lounges both at BKK and MCT.

If anything the service on board was even better.

Anyway, I'm a light sleeper and the Oman flights were very comfortable indeed, I had the best sleep on an aircraft ever.

But you don't have to take my word for it, here's a more recent trip report : http://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/1-1-scale-commercial-aviation/101663-lhr-mct-khi-oman-air.html. Pictures are however not of the same standard as the previous one.

Now if you want to make your experience even more memorable use the meet and greet service for a small fee, this one puts the fast track service of BKK to shame.

Again good luck and like the French say : "Bon voyage"

Yermanee wai.gif

I've flown all 3 (but not for a while) and my opinion was that Qatar's the best and often the cheapest from Thailand.

Certainly the Doha business lounge is way ahead of Dubai and AD IMHO.

From the 3 that OP mentioned Qatar is indeed the best, with in my case the best connections, but for the onboard experience Oman outshines them by the proverbial country mile.

But as said the most important thing for me is the seat (able to sleep) the B777 from Qatar comes close but that's it.

Yermaneewai.gif

I stopped using Etihad after my first flight with Qatar. The seats are far superior. Etihad offers good privacy but too narrow to sleep properly.

The old lounge used to get too crowded to sit down. Poor quality food as well. Also showers are better in Qatar's lounge.

It all points in one direction.

(Never flown Emirates biz class, only once in first)

I stopped using Etihad after my first flight with Qatar. The seats are far superior. Etihad offers good privacy but too narrow to sleep properly.

The old lounge used to get too crowded to sit down. Poor quality food as well. Also showers are better in Qatar's lounge.

It all points in one direction.

(Never flown Emirates biz class, only once in first)

Flown Emirates in business once, but that was 4-5 years ago.

Never again, not entirely because of the airline but because of 2 very very bad experiences at Dubai airport, but that's a story in itself.and this is not the place. Would have to use to many strong words.bah.gif

Yermaneewai.gif

Thanks for all the valuable feedback...I am sold on Oman Airways so will book with them :) The ground-side and air-side amenities look superb and the price is very reasonable to boot. Thanks again guys as I was not even aware of this airline when I made my op wai.gif

Thanks for all the valuable feedback...I am sold on Oman Airways so will book with them smile.png The ground-side and air-side amenities look superb and the price is very reasonable to boot. Thanks again guys as I was not even aware of this airline when I made my op wai.gif

Please could you update this post with details of cost if possible, then a report on how the service with Oman was, as this will help others get to know about this Airline. Also if you like it try to use their Card system, it can also be used with Etihad.

Thanks for all the valuable feedback...I am sold on Oman Airways so will book with them smile.png The ground-side and air-side amenities look superb and the price is very reasonable to boot. Thanks again guys as I was not even aware of this airline when I made my op wai.gif

Please could you update this post with details of cost if possible, then a report on how the service with Oman was, as this will help others get to know about this Airline. Also if you like it try to use their Card system, it can also be used with Etihad.

Will do but it won't be for a few months...my trip will likely be the end of August or early September. Off to SFO tomorrow and received helpful tips on this booking from other T-Vers as well. Unfortunately, Oman doesn't fly this route so had to settle on United...but at least it's "business" class. :) (I did find out this morning from their early check-in email that I'm entitled to free check-in of 3 bags up to 70 lbs each...thought it was only two; plus 2 carry-ons )

Edited by FarangBuddha

Hi Beano,

Do you mean I can use my Oman miles to buy things on Etihad's FFP ?

Thanks beforehand

Yermanee wai.gif

Hi Beano,

Thanks beforehand

Yermanee wai.gif

I know you can claim miles and everything, here is the link about miles

http://sindbad.omana.../etihad-airways

Edited by beano2274

Yermanee

I remember reading that you can transfer your Etihad miles to the Sinbad card if you want to, but cannot find any details.

Maybe contacting the help desk via email is your next best bet.

Yermanee

I remember reading that you can transfer your Etihad miles to the Sinbad card if you want to, but cannot find any details.

Maybe contacting the help desk via email is your next best bet.

Thanks,

Have now checked both websites, and the way I understand is that one can redeem for free tickets on both airlines, but that's it, no further details.

Have emailed Etihad because that's where I want to use my Sindbad (Oman) miles.

Now the waiting begins smile.png

If they reply I'll let you know, promised.

Yermanee wai.gif

You do though have to be careful with the booking class code as we didn't qualify for the chauffeur driven car last year and to get this service it wasn't worth the extra Baht demanded.

I've have used Qatar very recently and as mentioned Oman last year. I would just about give Qatar the edge but Oman do excel against Qatar in certain areas in my opinion. In particular the business class seat is without doubt the best in the airline industry presently as awarded on Skytrax. They also don't suffer delays due to congestion that Qatar faces at their respective home airports nor the long bus journey to the terminal that one must face with Qatar.

Qatar though have much better connections and destination options and for me better food on board.

Both are highly recommended and I would therefore opt for the one which gives you the cheapest fare for the desired dates of travel.

You do though have to be careful with the booking class code as we didn't qualify for the chauffeur driven car last year and to get this service it wasn't worth the extra Baht demanded.

I've have used Qatar very recently and as mentioned Oman last year. I would just about give Qatar the edge but Oman do excel against Qatar in certain areas in my opinion. In particular the business class seat is without doubt the best in the airline industry presently as awarded on Skytrax. They also don't suffer delays due to congestion that Qatar faces at their respective home airports nor the long bus journey to the terminal that one must face with Qatar.

Qatar though have much better connections and destination options and for me better food on board.

Both are highly recommended and I would therefore opt for the one which gives you the cheapest fare for the desired dates of travel.

Hi there,

That's what I like about ThaiVisa.

Contrary to review sites like Skytrax you can get personal interaction with members who have actually flown the airlines that one's curious about, and therefore valuable information becomes available.

I've used Oman Air twice now but I didn't know that the limousine service depended on the booking class since I never use this option.

Good to know, thank you for that.

As for me the deciding factor between Qatar and Oman is the seat. Food and entertainment are far less important since all I want to do on board is sleep as much as possible, and there Oman excels. Also Muscat airport is a breeze with the very affordable meet and greet service that they offer ( I'm 76 and my legs aren't what they used to be.)

Thank you for your information.

Yermanee wai.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Beano,

Thanks beforehand

Yermanee wai.gif

I know you can claim miles and everything, here is the link about miles

http://sindbad.omana.../etihad-airways

Hi Beano,

Here reply from Etihad :

- " Dear Mr Wxxxx,

Thank you for taking the time to contact the Etihad Guest Service Centre

In reference to your query on redemption with Sindbad miles in Etihad shop, we regret to inform you that guest can redeem Etihad rewards with Etihad miles only.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us on 00971-2-5990000 or on the following phone numbers provided on the link.

Your Sincerely,

Tara Bir Limbu

Etihad Guest Services Team "-

Cheers

Yermaneewai.gif

Edited by yermanee