Thai PM Opens "Thai Kitchen To The World" Event To Promote Thai Food Industry

Lite Beer

'The Commerce Ministry has worked on such strategies in many countries, including Australia, in order for Thai cuisine to be well known through Thai restaurants and department stores selling Thai food products worldwide, the premier said.'

It's only words words words as usual, after the strategie comes the tactics to workout the strategie and also the longterm plans none of this all..! It's a nice speech written down by ms. PM's ghostwriters not even by herself. As soon everybody is nicely settled down in the business class of Thai Airways with a nice glass of champie at hand everybody already forgotten what the hell they were doing in Australia.

The first article says that Australia imports 110,000 tonnes of Thai rice per year. The second article says that Australia imports over $1.1 billion dollars worth of Thai rice per year....Implying they buy the rice at $10,000 (THB 310,000) per tonne. Either the Thai journalists are lying, or those Aussie are paying too much for their rice.

Our government (Australian) would be skimming off the top as they do every thing, could even be the new carbon tax that is about to F......k the country.

The number of Thai restaurants in Oz is sure on the rise, but the quality is sure on the low. There are Malaysians opening up Thai restaurants too. Some Philippinas also investing in Thai restaurants. Anyone who knows how to open up a carton of Gang Keow Waan and knows how to cut up strips of chicken breast seriously believes that that's the key to being a Thai chef. When the boom goes bust, the only winner will be the instant sauces manufacturers because any Aussie will be able to obtain these complete ingredients for any thai dish from any Coles or Safeway.

• Like 2

Australia is a rice producer and exporter of medium grain rice, the size of the crop limited by water availability. Around 1 million tonnes/year is grown with the highest yield/hectare (around 10, Thailand 3.3) and lowest water usage in the world, and of course FAR fewer people employed so much higher incomes.

Can you imagine the look on Yingluk's face if it was suggested we could teach Thais how to grow rice.

Australia's undoubted competitive advantages and Thailand's very low rice farming yields are a matter of record, but have nothing to do with the thread.

If there is a point here I should be mildly interested to know what it is.My hunch however is that the usual suspects inanely trail around the forum looking for threads relating to the Prime Minister with the aim of mud slinging.Fair enough but in this instance where the PM is making an excellent impression for Thailand in Australia they seem to have rather lost their way - so the question remains.What exact point is being made?

"The Yingluck administration's main strategies include (1) expanding agriculture and food business, (2) adding value to agricultural produce with high-technology production processes, (3) supporting cooperation at regional and international levels..........."

Did you miss that part of the OP?

Is that not part of the topic?

What part of the topic is sniping at other posters and their supposed motives?

MY point was that we do a better job of growing rice with limited resources, but the Thai government would rather subsidise an uneconomic industry than learn how to do it better.

Just how good is that Ozmine rice and do you do Ozmati rice as well?

Australian rice varieties are not suited to tropical climates; in fact almost all of the rice produced in Australia is of the variety Japonica which is perfectly suited to the dry temperate micro-climate of the Australian rice growing region. Japonica rice is usually grown in temperate climates, like Australia, California, Egypt, China and Japan.

www.aboutrice.com/downloads/rice_varieties.pdf

So I suspect the Australians knowledge of rice types that grow well in tropical countries is limited and probably not of much use to Thailand.

Australia is a rice producer and exporter of medium grain rice, the size of the crop limited by water availability. Around 1 million tonnes/year is grown with the highest yield/hectare (around 10, Thailand 3.3) and lowest water usage in the world, and of course FAR fewer people employed so much higher incomes.

Can you imagine the look on Yingluk's face if it was suggested we could teach Thais how to grow rice.

Australia's undoubted competitive advantages and Thailand's very low rice farming yields are a matter of record, but have nothing to do with the thread.

If there is a point here I should be mildly interested to know what it is.My hunch however is that the usual suspects inanely trail around the forum looking for threads relating to the Prime Minister with the aim of mud slinging.Fair enough but in this instance where the PM is making an excellent impression for Thailand in Australia they seem to have rather lost their way - so the question remains.What exact point is being made?

"The Yingluck administration's main strategies include (1) expanding agriculture and food business, (2) adding value to agricultural produce with high-technology production processes, (3) supporting cooperation at regional and international levels..........."

Did you miss that part of the OP?

Is that not part of the topic?

What part of the topic is sniping at other posters and their supposed motives?

None. It's just the typical creepy stalking.

People abroad increasingly like to eat at Thai retaurants because the recipies are tasty & Thais traditionally know how to make guests feel welcome & provide service with a smile.

Its sort of surreal that Yingluck believes her pale & ghoulish appearance serving food would somehow make more people eat that type of food. People eat Thai food because it is spicy with a lot of subtle spices at work too, and has lots of prawns & papaya in it and its just food that most people who try it instantly love. People don't eat Thai food because of Yingluck so she could have saved the taxpayer a lot of money & stayed in Bangkok.

Wonder if she'll be at the house on Wednesday.....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect App

MY point was that we do a better job of growing rice with limited resources, but the Thai government would rather subsidise an uneconomic industry than learn how to do it better.

Just how good is that Ozmine rice and do you do Ozmati rice as well?

Australian rice varieties are not suited to tropical climates; in fact almost all of the rice produced in Australia is of the variety Japonica which is perfectly suited to the dry temperate micro-climate of the Australian rice growing region. Japonica rice is usually grown in temperate climates, like Australia, California, Egypt, China and Japan.

www.aboutrice.com/downloads/rice_varieties.pdf

So I suspect the Australians knowledge of rice types that grow well in tropical countries is limited and probably not of much use to Thailand.

D'oh. HOW to grow rice, not what to grow. Using half the water of world average, to get the highest yields. And the Ord River Irrigation is tropical and rice growing is expanding there rapidly. Australian farmers don't get subsidies for their crops, or price control, or any other form of government intervention - which leads to efficient and profitable business.

Here's a hint - the average farm size in the Riverina is 400 ha.

The number of Thai restaurants in Oz is sure on the rise, but the quality is sure on the low. There are Malaysians opening up Thai restaurants too. Some Philippinas also investing in Thai restaurants. Anyone who knows how to open up a carton of Gang Keow Waan and knows how to cut up strips of chicken breast seriously believes that that's the key to being a Thai chef. When the boom goes bust, the only winner will be the instant sauces manufacturers because any Aussie will be able to obtain these complete ingredients for any thai dish from any Coles or Safeway.

The instant sauces have been available for many years from Woolworths. When I last lived in Oz there was a Thai restaurant 4 doors away, run by Thais, and they used them in all their dishes because the required ingredients were simply not available.

Link to Photo:

http://news.yahoo.co...-025125414.html

Thailand's Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra smiles during a cooking demonstration at the "Thai Kitchen to the World" in Sydney May 27, 2012.

REUTERS.

She smiles. Now that IS news. But what else is a muppet to do?

And thank you for adding to the quality of this thread.

Yingluck just gets better and better.

People abroad increasingly like to eat at Thai retaurants because the recipies are tasty & Thais traditionally know how to make guests feel welcome & provide service with a smile.

Its sort of surreal that Yingluck believes her pale & ghoulish appearance serving food would somehow make more people eat that type of food. People eat Thai food because it is spicy with a lot of subtle spices at work too, and has lots of prawns & papaya in it and its just food that most people who try it instantly love. People don't eat Thai food because of Yingluck so she could have saved the taxpayer a lot of money & stayed in Bangkok.

What a ridiculous post.

Many of the expats I know here don`t love Thai food and that might have something to do with the generous use of coriander which many Westerners find unpalatable. I like the Thai food my tart makes BUT she doesn`t use this horrible herb which overpowers the nice tasting ones.

Many of the expats I know here don`t love Thai food and that might have something to do with the generous use of coriander which many Westerners find unpalatable. I like the Thai food my tart makes BUT she doesn`t use this horrible herb which overpowers the nice tasting ones.

I can't do rat.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/528491-thailand-ranks-3rd-in-asia-when-it-comes-to-eating-rat-meat/

Having dinner with her (and 300 of her closest friends) tonight. I'll let you know how good an impression she is making.

:)

I asked my wife how to cook a spicy Thai salad. She didn't know. Apparently using a pestle and mortar isn't classed as cooking. It seems that Yingluck has hidden talents. Can there be such a thing as a cooked salad?

Her Big Brother used to do a bit of cooking in public I seem to remember but all he could manage was Morning Glory. I guess that is as easy as boiling an egg.

I actually don't know one person that doesn't like Thai food.

Sent from my shoe phone

The instant sauces have been available for many years from Woolworths. When I last lived in Oz there was a Thai restaurant 4 doors away, run by Thais, and they used them in all their dishes because the required ingredients were simply not available.

I used to own a Thai restaurant in SE Queensland. Ingredients such as herbs & spices are available, but expensive when trying to meet customer expectation on pricing and aiming to make a profit. So we used instant sauces that were imported from Thailand by a distributor.

Link to Photo:

http://news.yahoo.co...-025125414.html

Thailand's Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra smiles during a cooking demonstration at the "Thai Kitchen to the World" in Sydney May 27, 2012.

REUTERS.

She smiles. Now that IS news. But what else is a muppet to do?

Is that her only talent?

Her laughter is so delicious.

I would like to have her (Thai food) for breakfast, lunch and dinner anytime, any place.

Unfortunately, I am not fortunate enough to have the privilege.

I actually don't know one person that doesn't like Thai food.

Sent from my shoe phone

You do now. There are lots of people that Thai food doesn`t agree with, especially the street food. My tart is Thai and there is a lot of Thai food SHE doesn`t like, including fatty pork balls full of garlic and that disgusting salad with the hard shell crabs in it. There is a `Thai` restaurant near where I keep a house in England which is staffed by Bangla Deshis (not my house) and the food is actually brilliant. Now Indian food, I could eat all the time.

I suspect the same lack of efficiency operates for all Thailand's agricultural products. Yet, here we are surrounded by areas of increasing food deficits with a huge market potential if only Thailand could pull it's finger out and improve its productivity and agricultural systems.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2012/05/daily-chart-17?fsrc=nlw

20120602_woc302.png

I suspect the same lack of efficiency operates for all Thailand's agricultural products. Yet, here we are surrounded by areas of increasing food deficits with a huge market potential if only Thailand could pull it's finger out and improve its productivity and agricultural systems.

http://www.economist...art-17?fsrc=nlw

20120602_woc302.png

Over population causes poverty, famine, plauge, cannibalism and war.