Problem With Chrome Browser........

Chivas

For some reason after shutting down the laptop overnight and re opening the following day Chrome will not open which is my normal browser.

FF and IE work normally.

Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but makes no difference. I can right click the Chrome Icon which pulls the last few pages viewed (which I thought wouldn't be there as unistall/reinstalled) and if I try to open a page the following message comes up on the laptop but without opening the Chrome browser....

C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

Unspecified Error

Any suggestions please !!

I would suggest that you download Advanced System Care (Free version): http://www.iobit.com/ascdownload.html

Download the Free Version and don't install (custom install) any other tool or toolbar (you won't need those to solve your problem). This free software is very useful for cleaning your PC (registry, browser cache, etc.) and it also comes with an Uninstaller which works better than the one provided with Windows, as it will also better clean the registry settings related to the program that you want to uninstall (if you select this option).

Start with a "Quick Care" first (you may need to perform a "Deep Care" later, but it's probably unnecessary at the moment). Then, reboot your PC. Uninstall Chrome with Advanced System Care Uninstaller (and select the option to clean the registry settings too). Reboot your PC when this is done. Try to reinstall Chrome (or SRW Iron: http://www.srware.net/downloads/srware_iron.exe, as it is a browser based on Chromium, just like Google Chrome, but without the spying parts!).

It should be enough to solve your problem.

If on windows 7, start, default programs then select chrome as your default browser.

Thanks indeed to GuyL.......

Not sure what you're getting at Rick....??

It is Windows 7 Premuim. Are you saying uninstall again and reinstall selecting Chrome as Default browser on installation....??

Thought I had indeed done that but possibly not (am no techie)

Should I try your option first before running with GuyL's recommendation....??

Edited by Chivas

If on windows 7, start, default programs then select chrome as your default browser.

Thanks indeed to GuyL.......

Not sure what you're getting at Rick....??

It is Windows 7 Premuim. Are you saying uninstall again and reinstall selecting Chrome as Default browser on installation....??

Thought I had indeed done that but possibly not (am no techie)

Should I try your option first before running with GuyL's recommendation....??

You can try BankokRick's option before applying my solution, but I don't believe that it will change anything. It seems that your prior uninstall attempt has failed somehow and that some parts and/or settings remains (probably Google Chrome's application data in the current user's settings, at least). That's why I recommend to use Advanced System Care (Free Version) to better clean your PC and uninstall Chrome before trying to reinstall it.

Cheers Guys for your input.......

If nothing works will come back to you.......

Thanks again..

You're welcome.

Just to be a little more precise... When using Advanced System Care Uninstaller, you should select "Advanced Uninstall", and you will then be able to perform a "Powerful Scan" after in order to clean some parts (registry settings, files, etc.) that are sometimes not automatically removed by a standard uninstall.

• Like 1

If you are using W7, after uninstall, delete the folders located in

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\

then install it again and it will work as new

Advanced System Care Uninstaller cleans these data too (amongst other local settings). Deleting these folders might work in some cases, but often it's not sufficient (as numerous settings still remain in the registry), that's why I have recommended the use of the free version of Advanced System Care, which better cleans the computer.

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest that you download Advanced System Care (Free version): http://www.iobit.com/ascdownload.html

Download the Free Version and don't install (custom install) any other tool or toolbar (you won't need those to solve your problem). This free software is very useful for cleaning your PC (registry, browser cache, etc.) and it also comes with an Uninstaller which works better than the one provided with Windows, as it will also better clean the registry settings related to the program that you want to uninstall (if you select this option).

Start with a "Quick Care" first (you may need to perform a "Deep Care" later, but it's probably unnecessary at the moment). Then, reboot your PC. Uninstall Chrome with Advanced System Care Uninstaller (and select the option to clean the registry settings too). Reboot your PC when this is done. Try to reinstall Chrome (or SRW Iron: http://www.srware.ne...srware_iron.exe, as it is a browser based on Chromium, just like Google Chrome, but without the spying parts!).

GuyL

Thanks for previous assist.....

Unfortunately nothing I can do rectifies the problem. The software you suggested was excellent and fixed numerous small errors but for whatever reason when reinstalling Chrome it will not open....

Any other suggestions. Firefox speed in comparison to Chrome is third world level !!

thanks....

Start with a "Quick Care" first (you may need to perform a "Deep Care" later, but it's probably unnecessary at the moment). Then, reboot your PC. Uninstall Chrome with Advanced System Care Uninstaller (and select the option to clean the registry settings too). Reboot your PC when this is done. Try to reinstall Chrome (or SRW Iron: http://www.srware.ne...srware_iron.exe, as it is a browser based on Chromium, just like Google Chrome, but without the spying parts!).

GuyL

Thanks for previous assist.....

Unfortunately nothing I can do rectifies the problem. The software you suggested was excellent and fixed numerous small errors but for whatever reason when reinstalling Chrome it will not open....

Any other suggestions. Firefox speed in comparison to Chrome is third world level !!

thanks....

It's a pity it didn't work. You may now try a "Deep Care" (with Advanced System Care) then, reboot your PC, and again, try to uninstall Chrome with "Advanced Uninstall" followed by a "Powerful Scan", then reboot your PC again.

Then, before reinstalling Google Chrome, download and install CCleaner: http://www.filehippo...nload_ccleaner/

It's another free tool. I would recommend to perform at least another Registry scan for issues with this software (click on the "Registry" tab on the left, then on the "Scan for issues" button, then "Fix selected issues"). After that, you should reboot your PC again and try to reinstall Google Chrome.

By the way, I would also strongly recommend to download Google Chrome once again before reinstalling it, as your current version might be corrupted somehow: http://www.google.com/chrome

If it fails again, try to install SRWare Iron instead (http://www.srware.ne...srware_iron.exe). It's even better than Google Chrome (it does not track your online activity), and it works just like Google Chrome as both browsers are based on Chromium source code.

Edited by GuyL

System restore?

It's not always possible, and more often than not (for the average user), it does more bad than good, depending on what happened on the PC since the most recent backup. You may lose also some data if you are not cautious enough. I do believe that the problem can be solved without performing a system restore.

System restore?

It's not always possible, and more often than not (for the average user), it does more bad than good, depending on what happened on the PC since the most recent backup. You may lose also some data if you are not cautious enough. I do believe that the problem can be solved without performing a system restore.

Thanks Guy for your assistance.

Have tried everything but without success. For now I'll just use FF and next time I'm in Thailand try a repair shop as likely to be a fraction of the price of here in the UK and see if they can identify problem. One mistake I will never make again is not having a back up of all the favourite websites !! Its not the obvious ones that I've lost but all the ones I've kept with points of reference that are long gone....ouch !!

Again thanks.

Edited by Chivas

System restore?

Thanks Guy for your assistance.

Have tried everything but without success. For now I'll just use FF and next time I'm in Thailand try a repair shop as likely to be a fraction of the price of here in the UK and see if they can identify problem. One mistake I will never make again is not having a back up of all the favourite websites !! Its not the obvious ones that I've lost but all the ones I've kept with points of reference that are long gone....ouch !!

Again thanks.

I (or a good techie) would need to have a look at your PC now if everything mentioned above has failed to solve your problem. Have you tried SRWare Iron browser (mentioned previously)? As you seem to like Google Chrome, you may like using SRWare Iron too as both browsers are based on the same Chromium code source: http://www.srware.net/downloads/srware_iron.exe

Have you tried a manual uninstall? Be sure you have administrator rights. And that you don't have Google earth on your machine.

http://www.ehow.com/...-windows-7.html

Thanks guys for your input but I'll leave it till back in Thailand and let them take a browse. I'm no techie whatsoever and am more likely to disrupt what is still working FF and IE then rectifying Chrome.......

As I said thanks for assistance....