Shady Advertising By Restaurant

luckizuchinni

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am the manager of the pub being discussed, The Huntsman Pub, and I remember the OP (luckizucchini) sitting near the stage last Sunday. And I remember Mr Zuchini asking the chef if we have any pork, to which, the reply was "sorry sir, we have only beef, lamb and chicken". So, Mr Zuchini, there was chicken available for your wife to eat, in addition to the pork sausages, salmon, chicken tikka, beef and Guinness pie, cottage pie, cold cuts and a host of other food items.

Also, Mr Zuchini, you may remember that you asked the assistant manager about the price and meat selection, to which she explained quite clearly that the price had, in years past been 750 but in accordance with customers' wishes, the Huntsman reduced the price to 490 baht net. This is a comparable price to the other Sunday carveries in BKK...although ours does run all day and is a buffet, unlike some. Not to mention the 11:30am - 9pm happy hours. The assistant manager did also suggest that you or your wife may order a la carte if the roast did not have the dishes you were after.

I would be surprised if you could find any current advertising stating anything different to what I have just presented as the Sunday roast at the Huntsman Pub.

In regards to the drinks prices, I believe you were questioning the 'all you can drink' beer being offered. I assume you were hoping for soft drinks to be unlimited. The beer promotion is a promotion that aims to draw customers to the Huntsman because they can drink as much local beer as they please for only an extra 509 baht (between 11:30am and 3pm on Sundays). A free refill on soft drinks doesn't have the same appeal, therefore we don't currently offer it.

All prices, including the drinks and Sunday roast, are clearly listed on the menu and customers are always welcome to view the buffet's items before committing to it.

I am very open to suggestions and comments from customers, but I do ask that any negative experience is reported accurately and with reason. If you, Mr Zuchini, would like to discuss anything with me personally, I would be happy to have a chat. Please visit the pub anytime...you can't miss me, I'm the giant 170kg manager. Please come and see me.

Oh, and I know his real name is not Mr Zuchini!

Excellent post, nice dose of real reality for TV.com

May I suggest that even though it may not "draw" as much as the unlimited beer offer, a corresponding one be offered for non-alcoholics, I'd be happy to promote it among the hundreds of AAs meeting every day in Bangkok.

Edit - checked back the OP and yes anything over 60-70 even at a nice restaurant for a soft drink is IMO a blatant scam would never go back nor recommend, not as if it's a lady-drink place. If they're not making enough on the buffet price due to low volumes that's not the customer's problem, certainly won't build up a regular clientele among locals that way.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

Cheap buffet makes it's money on drinks shocker ! shock1.gifshock1.gifshock1.gif

Not necessarily, APEX in Pattaya offers a diner-buffet for (I think) THB 225.

Drinks: water THB 25, soft drinks THB 40, beers THB 60-75

OK, the quality of the food can be doubted, but the link between buffet and high prices is herewith undermined.

Thanks for coming on the forum and giving us the facts big fella.

Cat got your tongue Bendix?

Wrong again, though I doubt if you will admit it, you never seem to do so.

Ah well, I'm sure we will get your holier than though slant on the subject in due course.

I am the manager of the pub being discussed, The Huntsman Pub, and I remember the OP (luckizucchini) sitting near the stage last Sunday. And I remember Mr Zuchini asking the chef if we have any pork, to which, the reply was "sorry sir, we have only beef, lamb and chicken". So, Mr Zuchini, there was chicken available for your wife to eat, in addition to the pork sausages, salmon, chicken tikka, beef and Guinness pie, cottage pie, cold cuts and a host of other food items.

Also, Mr Zuchini, you may remember that you asked the assistant manager about the price and meat selection, to which she explained quite clearly that the price had, in years past been 750 but in accordance with customers' wishes, the Huntsman reduced the price to 490 baht net. This is a comparable price to the other Sunday carveries in BKK...although ours does run all day and is a buffet, unlike some. Not to mention the 11:30am - 9pm happy hours. The assistant manager did also suggest that you or your wife may order a la carte if the roast did not have the dishes you were after.

I would be surprised if you could find any current advertising stating anything different to what I have just presented as the Sunday roast at the Huntsman Pub.

In regards to the drinks prices, I believe you were questioning the 'all you can drink' beer being offered. I assume you were hoping for soft drinks to be unlimited. The beer promotion is a promotion that aims to draw customers to the Huntsman because they can drink as much local beer as they please for only an extra 509 baht (between 11:30am and 3pm on Sundays). A free refill on soft drinks doesn't have the same appeal, therefore we don't currently offer it.

All prices, including the drinks and Sunday roast, are clearly listed on the menu and customers are always welcome to view the buffet's items before committing to it.

I am very open to suggestions and comments from customers, but I do ask that any negative experience is reported accurately and with reason. If you, Mr Zuchini, would like to discuss anything with me personally, I would be happy to have a chat. Please visit the pub anytime...you can't miss me, I'm the giant 170kg manager. Please come and see me.

Wow, how refreshing. The truth, right from the source. As I said just the other day, it's standard TV protocol to embellish the story just a wee bit to garner sympathy. I wish we could get the same sort of "other side" when it comes to other topics.

• Like 2

Wow, how refreshing. The truth, right from the source. As I said just the other day, it's standard TV protocol to embellish the story just a wee bit to garner sympathy. I wish we could get the same sort of "other side" when it comes to other topics.

I'd say its human nature to embellish things ore seeing them from your own POV. But i do agree its great hearing from the other side.

Cheap buffet makes it's money on drinks shocker ! shock1.gifshock1.gifshock1.gif

Not necessarily, APEX in Pattaya offers a diner-buffet for (I think) THB 225.

Drinks: water THB 25, soft drinks THB 40, beers THB 60-75

OK, the quality of the food can be doubted, but the link between buffet and high prices is herewith undermined.

Not really.

You haven't said what you get in the buffet except the quality can be doubted. If it is poor quality food poor quality food is cheap. It's not the same.

People who eat plate after plate of ham, chicken, beef, roast pork etc a profit has to be made out of them somehow.

The drinks prices you quoted have a good mark up on wholesale prices : water 400% of wholesale price, soft drinks 500% and beer 200-300%.

Edited by arthurwait

I'd say its human nature to embellish things ore seeing them from your own POV. But i do agree its great hearing from the other side.

The problem is when somebody embellishes the facts, others take the story as gospel and the whole thread goes off course.

Edited by theoldgit
  • Like 1

The problem is when somebody embellishes the facts, others take the story as gospel and the whole thread goes off tangent.

Sure you should not change the facts that is wrong. Facts are facts.

Thanks for coming on the forum and giving us the facts big fella.

Cat got your tongue Bendix?

Wrong again, though I doubt if you will admit it, you never seem to do so.

Ah well, I'm sure we will get your holier than though slant on the subject in due course.

On the contrary. I'm prepared to accept I am as wrong as everyone else on this thread including you.

At the end of the day, this thread is a typical exaggerated complaint, something oh so common on TV these days. If anyone can be accused of holding their tongue, it is the OP who started this nonsense.

I think that is what's called 'clean bowled, middle stump'.

As Bill Lawry would say: "Got him, GONEEEEEEEEE"

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

Maybe you would do me the courtesy of pointing out where I was wrong, I cannot seem to find it, but I'm sure it's there.

You have indicated that this sort of thing is endemic on Thai Visa, and I agree with you, it defeats the value of the whole forum.

It is of course made worse when somebody latches onto incorrect facts and replies to others, who have already advised that the information given by the OP and in an out of date review are incorrect, that it must be right because the OP, an old review, and an old TV thread say so.

Edited by theoldgit

It is of course made worse when somebody latches onto incorrect facts and replies to others, who have already advised that the information given by the OP and in an out of date review are incorrect, that it must be right because the OP, an old review, and an old TV thread say so.

You're quite right of course, theoldgit. I am wrong. It won't happen again, and I am forever in your debt to revealing to me - finally, and so candidly - the error of my ways.

Better?

Eegads! I am caught. My name is not really Mr. Luckizuchinni! THanks for pointing that out, Mr. Fattylurch (real name)

Actually, you don't have all your facts correct. I wrote that there was supposedly carvery beef, lamb, ham, and chicken. In fact, there was no ham nor chicken. Yes, you had pork sausages, but that wasn't my point. I was writing about the carvery station alone. The warming tray in the middle of your line had the beef and lamb in it, but the others were empty. There was no chicken. There was no ham.

Your carving chef's English is not good enough to have made your quoted statement. I had to ask in Thai if there was pork or chicken. He said no. I might point out that there was no 170 kg man standing near us when this happened. I later asked the woman who may have been the assistant manager you mention, and she told me they don't serve ham and chicken anymore. I showed her the advertising, and she was the one who told me that the advertsiing was the old advertsiing, this depsite the fact that this advertising showed the 490 baht price.

And I never brought up the drinks with your assistant manager. I asked the waitress why the drinks were listed, and she was the one who responded to me. I then told her I thought 125 baht for a Pepsi was quite expensive. No other comment was made.

Yes, there was guiness stew (which I already mentioned was quite good) and there were other dishes, more than enough for me. But we came to your pub because of the carving stations, and in that, my wife was left cold. She didn't like the sausages, and she doesn't eat Indian, but her fussy habits are besides the point. We came for the beef, lamb, ham, and chicken, and only two of those were available.

And your imagination is running a little rampant in other areas as well. Your assistant manager said we should order from the regular menu? When was that? When we walked in, the waitress asked if we wanted the buffet or the menu, and that was the only time the menu was mentioned.

To be fair, your passionfruit ice cream and sauce was great, and except for the price on the Pepsi, I rather enjoyed the meal. But falsely advertising has cost you at least one customer.

And to those who have jumped up and embraced Mr. Fattylurch's view of the tale, accusing me of embellishing, well, who has the bigger reason to change the truth? I have no vested interest in any restaurant. I am anonymous, so how could I get any "sympathy" by making up tales. Basically, I said there was only two carvery items despite the advertising mentioning four of them, and that the Pepsi cost 125 baht. If I am wrong in this, then I would welcome any corrections. But nothing written so far has shown my two points to be incorrect.

(In my OP, it might be taken that the assistant manager told me they had to charge 750 baht now. This is due to my poor writing. The price is and was always 490 baht for the meal. She told me that in order to serve all four carvery meats, they would have to go back to the old price of 750. Not that she wanted to charge us 750.)

Wasn't that hard was it? Even though you felt the need to be your usual patronising and sarcastic self.

Patronising and sarcastic? I'm offended.

I was trying to demonstrate exactly how much respect I feel for you. Did I get it about right?

To demonstrate my contrition to theoldgit, and as a gesture of goodwill to the OP, I would like to recommend we all club together and buy mr zucchini a ham. Oh, and a chicken. Then, perhaps we can move on with out lives, and relax knowing Mrs zuchini has something to eat next sunday.

I'll get the ball rolling with 50 baht.

Anyone else?

Wasn't that hard was it? Even though you felt the need to be your usual patronising and sarcastic self.

he may be many things to many people, but there is one thing he rarely is: Wrong.

To demonstrate my contrition to theoldgit, and as a gesture of goodwill to the OP, I would like to recommend we all club together and buy mr zucchini a ham. Oh, and a chicken. Then, perhaps we can move on with out lives, and relax knowing Mrs zuchini has something to eat next sunday.

Anyone else?

As long as you're organizing this, can you make it a pata negra ham? Mrs. Zuchinni has taken a liking to them ever since we went to Barcelona.

he may be many things to many people, but there is one thing he rarely is: Wrong.

Except on this occasion, and he had the good grace to say so, in his own way.

Edited by theoldgit

I ate at the Sunday buffet at the Huntsman on 13th May. I only recall seeing beef and lamb on the carving station but as I didn't get there until around 14.00 I put it down to being late. The standard of the buffet was not what I expected and in reality poor in choice and quality. The smoked salmon was pleasant but the breads, cold meats and salads not so. The cheese offering was limited to 2 and not topped up whilst I was there. The meats carved were generous but dry. The Yorkshire pudding was inedible. Price wise....good pricing level to attract but not in value. I did notice a large gentleman there but assumed he was a hotel guest as there was no way to distinguish him as being any part of the management..

Would I go back.... maybe in a few months when they have had a chance to get a grip on the place as I visit there every time I am in Bangkok and have always enjoyed it. However if the Huntsman doesn't move with the times it, and the Landark in general, will slip further in the Bangkok ratings as there are so many new options coming online all the time.

Anyone else?

i believe they had ham, she is only willing to eat chicken.

i must say that i have not been to huntsman specifically for its food in a number of years.

it filled a void some years back, but that void has since been filled by many others.

true of so many things in bangkok, though perhaps not to mrs zucchini's liking

Edited by nocturn

Anyone else?

i believe they had ham, she is only willing to eat chicken.

i must say that i have not been to huntsman specifically for its food in a number of years.

it filled a void some years back, but that void has since been filled by many others.

true of so many things in bangkok, though perhaps not to mrs zucchini's liking

No, no ham. Only beef and lamb at the carving station.