Power Lines And Power Issues

wildorchid

Can any one tell me why nothing is being done with the power lines in thailand (visual pollution) not only is it ugly to see in such a beautiful country but it's dangerous as in the province i live it hangs down and blocks walk ways and often roads, My wife saw the power companys truck blocked by fallen cabels and they just move the cable over the truck and kepped going without fixing the probblem, WHAT THE?????

Why don't thailand look at another country's underground power supplyor at least a properly installed power pole system?

Why don't they fix footpaths, potholes in roads, low hanging awnings (dangerous for a six footer), bad driving, uncovered meat in supermarkets, illegal dumping, pirate DVD's, etc, etc. Shall I go on?

The MEA and PEA have been requested many times to address this issue. They have investigated the costs and they are considerable. These costs would need to be passed through to the power consumers. Thailand is still what the World Bank calls a 'middle income' country. Singapore has underground cabling and it is very nice but their consumers can probably afford this. They live in a developed economy. The situation in the PEA service area is even worse. PEA's costs of supply are considerably higher than MEA's due to a number of factors. Some underground cabling has been installed in Bangkok around Silom Road. It will be quite some time before this is extended to other parts of Bangkok let alone the rest of the country.

They've begun putting more power lines underground in some places. In Hat Yai for instance and they've begun in Phuket Town. Looks a lot nicer and hope the trend spreads.