Fresh Graduate Salary Expectations

Well we employ graduates with engineering degree and no work experience from Thai universities and there base salary is less than 45k the first year without the complications of a WP...so why even 45k ?....if your going to ask 45, why not go 50...its only $160 odd a month difference....

What would you say is the average salary for Thai graduates with no experience? I do see your point. Some of my friends actually told me to ask them what is their offer first.

What industry is it ?....this is important ?

It's a private company in the aircraft chartering business. I will graduate with a bachelor's in industrial engineering. The position is related to quality and safety.

I would be saying 30-35k

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Credit card depends on the bank and who you deal with at the bank among other factors. I know that SCB had to see at least 100,000 deposited as salary for 6 months in a row before they were able to give a platinum card. But I know other people in a diff situation with other banks got theirs in the 70-80k salary monthly range. It really depends, but cc requirements for foreigners are much higher than Thais.

Marketability

In what way...the companies in Thailand have hassles with work permits when employing farangs so in some respects a farang is less marketable, unless a company really wants them and is prepared to pay the cost

Exactly

Marketability

In what way...the companies in Thailand have hassles with work permits when employing farangs so in some respects a farang is less marketable, unless a company really wants them and is prepared to pay the cost

Exactly

Exactly what...I still dont get the point your trying to make

Marketability

Exactly

Exactly what...I still dont get the point your trying to make

Refering to marketability for the role - to quote you "unless a company really wants them and is prepared to pay the cost"

To the OP. I would suggest you don't approach the salary issue by asking the employer how much are they offering unless they have a "published" pay scale. Perhaps an opening to this question is to ask them why you have been shortlisted for the opportunity & then listen and learn. If English language skills is one of the critical factors to the success of the applicant, this will indicate your proposed worth to the company. Given the nature of the industry you may find that you will need to attend courses/obtain certification for which English comprehension and communication may be critical; aside from your degree qualification.

As Soutpeel has indicated their is a probable preference for a Thai national so you will need to clearly articulate your Value Proposition that is aligned to the business needs.of the company. Again best of luck...

There is no minimum salary requirements for a WP in Thailand, the number you talk about is to be granted extension of stay, ie not visa running every 90 days. Further the company could put you on the books for 35k, get your extension of stay, but this doesnt mean they have to pay you 35k month....There are not minimum salary's specifed for Farangs, I guess the THB 300/day minimum wage would apply though

Totally wrong advice!! There are minimum monthly earnings for foreigners (except teachers) working in Thailand and whether or not you earn that amount of money you will be taxed on the assumption that you did earn it! Try and get a second visa without your tax receipt indicating that the correct tax figure has been paid!!

There is no minimum salary requirements for a WP in Thailand, the number you talk about is to be granted extension of stay, ie not visa running every 90 days. Further the company could put you on the books for 35k, get your extension of stay, but this doesnt mean they have to pay you 35k month....There are not minimum salary's specifed for Farangs, I guess the THB 300/day minimum wage would apply though

Totally wrong advice!! There are minimum monthly earnings for foreigners (except teachers) working in Thailand and whether or not you earn that amount of money you will be taxed on the assumption that you did earn it! Try and get a second visa without your tax receipt indicating that the correct tax figure has been paid!!

There is no published minimum requirements for being issued a WP...the published requirements are for extension of stay...which is a immigration deparment requirement...work permit and renewal is a labour dept thing, of course you have to pay tax, you are on a WP and if you cant prove it you have payed tax on the amount stated in your WP, they will not renew....you are confused over this....the labour department does not specify how much a farang must get paid and if you dont meet the published requirments per nationality for extension of stay, you need to visa run every 90 days, its doesnt mean you will not get the WP or that you cant work in Thailand.

The exception for teachers relates to extension of stay, ie they will be granted this on lessor amounts than stated for their nationality

trust this clarifys

Also, one more thing, what is the minimum required salary for a foreigner to be able to get a credit card?

Depends on the issuer, I was told show two years of salary to apply for a card.

Keep your current credit card from whatever country you are from use it and set up your countries bank accout to pay it online. ie if my Canadian banks credit card people knew that I was living in Thailand they would cancel it. ie visa mastecard. They need a Canadian or whatever address to send the statement to each month, the law does not allow them to send your statement online........

So if I have made a purchase here, I call my visa/mastercard co. and ask them the amount owing and pay it by transferring from my checquing accout there to pay it, as I never see the paper statement, it goes to a friends house...address in Canada.

Edited by Colabamumbai

There is no published minimum requirements for being issued a WP...the published requirements are for extension of stay...which is a immigration deparment requirement...work permit and renewal is a labour dept thing, of course you have to pay tax, you are on a WP and if you cant prove it you have payed tax on the amount stated in your WP, they will not renew....you are confused over this....the labour department does not specify how much a farang must get paid and if you dont meet the published requirments per nationality for extension of stay, you need to visa run every 90 days, its doesnt mean you will not get the WP or that you cant work in Thailand.

The exception for teachers relates to extension of stay, ie they will be granted this on lessor amounts than stated for their nationality

trust this clarifys

No minimum salary for teachers...but minimum of 16 hours of work per week.

Hotel Manager minimum 50,000 bhat per month.

Remember this..The Thai company does not really care much about you, they will promise this and that but in the end it is your responsibility to take care of the visa and work permit, whether they promise to or not. Many Thai businesses, new schools, etc. have no clue as to what a foreigner has to go through to live and work in Thailand legally.

I am just starting work at a new school/temple/wat school, they are still waiting for their registration papers from the government, ministry of education or whoever, they just opened and are a private school.

I have to take them thru the steps necessary to get me a work permit and a non B visa, and have to wait until they receive the paperwork themselves, before they can initiate either for me.

The responsibility is yours...bottom line.

Thanks for all the advice. I know for a fact that they are really interested in hiring me, and the job isn't in Bangkok, it's down in the south, plus it requires me to work in shifts, so I guess that should allow me to expect a higher salary than normal.

Hotel Manager minimum 50,000 bhat per month.

Can you direct to the part of the law which says this...the 50k is for extension of stay, and immigration dept requirement for being granted extension of stay and based on your nationality nothing to do with the labour dept who issues the WP....there are no specified minimums under thailand law that a farang must be paid to get a WP

Thanks for all the advice. I know for a fact that they are really interested in hiring me, and the job isn't in Bangkok, it's down in the south, plus it requires me to work in shifts, so I guess that should allow me to expect a higher salary than normal.

Actually one would expect a lower salary than normal as not BKK based...got a lot to learn young jedi...biggrin.png

shifts may or may not have shift bonus attached to them..its depends on how they are set up

Edited by Soutpeel

In BKK our engineering firm pays fresh local grads 25k per month. This usually increases to around 30k at the end of the 3 month probation period.

Thanks a lot, that helps quite a bit. So would you say 50k would be a decent starting point, and maybe negotiating down to 45k?

In BKK our engineering firm pays fresh local grads 25k per month. This usually increases to around 30k at the end of the 3 month probation period.

Thanks a lot, that helps quite a bit. So would you say 50k would be a decent starting point, and maybe negotiating down to 45k?

As you pointed out you will be down south and not in BKK...therefore believe your starting point will be around 40k negotiate down....

You dont have the leverage of saying BKK is an expensive place to live....thumbsup.gif

Hold on a minute.."somchaimaidai' points out they pay their fresh graduates 25-30k/m....so why would your opening gambit be 50k ?....you are a fresh graduate from a Thai University same same...so please justify your 50k ? bearing in mind you will be in the South not BKK ?

Hold on a minute.."somchaimaidai' points out they pay their fresh graduates 25-30k/m....so why would your opening gambit be 50k ?....you are a fresh graduate from a Thai University same same...so please justify your 50k ? bearing in mind you will be in the South not BKK ?

maybe because he is not thai

^ Well I need to show at least a minimum of 35k to obtain a non B visa extension of one year, and as I said earlier the two guys who are already working for them, and who also interviewed me, have not left the country for more than 6 months now, so I'm assuming they are getting paid a minimum of 35k as well.

From what I have generally noticed, the company wants to do everything through a legal process. They even obtain work permits for international students for internships, so that says a lot.

maybe because he is not thai

What exactly has that got to do with it ?

so the expectation is because he is not a Thai, but been to a Thai University, basically cant wipe his own bottom yet same of every other fresh University gradute Thai or otherwise...he should be paid more than a thai national...!!!...only thing I can say ....blink.png ....the Farangs on here are always whinging on about racism against farangs in Thailand....is this not racist as well...being dicriminated against because one is Thai ?

Edited by Soutpeel

^ Well I need to show at least a minimum of 35k to obtain a non B visa extension of one year, and as I said earlier the two guys who are already working for them, and who also interviewed me, have not left the country for more than 6 months now, so I'm assuming they are getting paid a minimum of 35k as well.

From what I have generally noticed, the company wants to do everything through a legal process. They even obtain work permits for international students for internships, so that says a lot.

No you dont..,.this is for the extension of stay..not for your WP/Non-imm B....you can still get a Non-imm B/WP on less than 35k..but you will need to visa run every 90 days

One assumes if they havent left in 6 months, then they are on extension of stay, and if its 35k..ok...but how do you get to an opening bid of 50k then ?

Edited by Soutpeel

The visa run thing every 90 days, doesn't always work. A friend of mine who used to manage a company had to change destination for his workers every few months, as they kept going to the same country to do visa runs and immigration there started rejecting them. I don't want to have to go through that, and if they don't provide me with a one year extension I will not take the job.

I don't expect 50k obviously, but I'm just going to start at that and negotiate. I talked to a couple of other friends about this and they all seemed to give similar advice, to start somewhere between 45-50k.

i guess he would expect to be paid more than 30k a month because he could just become an english teacher and make more than that. <deleted> is the point of getting an industrial engineering degree if you can make more $$$ after a TELF course? dont international schools pay english teachers with bach. degrees 45-60k a month?

my advice to OP would be to explore employment overseas.

What exactly has that got to do with it ?

so the expectation is because he is not a Thai, but been to a Thai University, basically cant wipe his own bottom yet same of every other fresh University gradute Thai or otherwise...he should be paid more than a thai national...!!!...only thing I can say ....blink.png ....the Farangs on here are always whinging on about racism against farangs in Thailand....is this not racist as well...being dicriminated against because one is Thai ?

Edited by Soutpeel, Today, 10:40 .

maybe quite alot,

It all comes down to the individual candidate, their qualifications, qualities and background.

One of the OP's selling points will be his English abilities. English skills are vital in any type of Engineering work. All other things being equal, if his command of English is superior than the vast majority of local candidates, then why should'nt he expect to command a higher starting salary?

It all comes down to the individual candidate, their qualifications, qualities and background.

One of the OP's selling points will be his English abilities. English skills are vital in any type of Engineering work. All other things being equal, if his command of English is superior than the vast majority of local candidates, then why should'nt he expect to command a higher starting salary?

So what part of engineering work do you work in in Thailand to base these comments on ?....I do work in Engineering in Thailand and l have Thai graduates I work with who speak good English...

some of these Thai lads have masters degrees in engineering from Thai universities, (which the OP doesnt have its appears), speak good English and started out on less money than the OP thinks he is entitled to...

In conclusion you dont have a clue about what your talking about, and you are using the premise that the OP should be paid more because he is not a Thai.

Lets go back to your other criteria

their qualifications - ok he has what I am asumming in a BSc or BEng from a Thai univeristy - see above - I have guys with masters degree's in engineering working for me who started out on less money and have had pay increases based on performance only and some are very well paid now.

Qualities - OP in a work enviroment - no track record

Background - OP in a work enviroment - no track record

So we are back to he must be paid more because he is not Thai, this to me is assuming a sense of entitlement that because you are non-thai so you must be better.....absolute <deleted>

Edited by Soutpeel

And another note, the position I am interviewing for, they are specifically looking for a non Thai. Thought I would point that out, but of course due to the nature of the job, it's not very attractive, even for Thais. So that's why I was guessing that they might be ready to offer more than the norm.

Hi mini scouser (biggrin.png are you from birkenhead? )

You seem like youve get your head screwed on ( unless you support liverpool, then i take it back )

You are doing your homework, dont take all you read on hear to heart, some will try to change the agenda on forums.

Good luck with your chosen career, if you do ( or dont ) get the job in question pop back and let us know how you got on.