Truck And Bus Signals

I (she) recently bought a car and since we've started touring the country a bit I've been wondering about the tail light signals used by truck and bus drivers.

Yorkey's site helped but I'm still unsure about a few I've seen.

Rear hazard lights flashing, ok, trouble ahead maybe.

One right hand flash, can I overtake? One would think so, but here ...?

One left flash, undertake???

Alternate flashes? Pick a side, any side.

A flashing of the headlights from behind me? Get out of his way cos he's bigger than me.

Head light flash from in front of me? Ok, maybe BIB ahead, maybe my low beam seems a little high because of the ten kids in the back. maybe he just wants to use my lane.

How do you guys interpret them?ermm.gif

Just my opinion after many years driving here...

Hazard lights flashing..could be obstruction up ahead, something in the road, accident ahead or I'm approaching crossroads and am going straight on.

One Right hand flash.. DONT overtake

One left hand flash ..as said by kartman lorry driver thinks ok to overtake, dont assume he's right. Note never seen this from a bus driver, they are always going too fast to overtake rolleyes.gif

Alternate flashes.. another do not pass (either side). in my experience can mean the truck ahead may have to slow down fairly soon.

Headlamp flash from behind.. I want to pass. 2nd flash..I really want to pass..3rd flash.. I'll drive over you if I have to !!

Flash from oncoming traffic..nighttime.yes your high beams may be too high..Daytime..double flash..police ahead..roadblock or speed-trap.

Above just my opinion, for safety's sake should first assume that truck/bus driver has hit a switch by mistake, and expect his next manoeuvre to be something stupid, it's amazing how many times you wont be disappointed!!.

Passing with a flash from these drivers is akin to dicing with death. Back off. Calm down. Await a wide open straight expanse, and even then be prepared for someone on a food cart to dart out from nowhere.

Passing with a flash from these drivers is akin to dicing with death. Back off. Calm down. Await a wide open straight expanse, and even then be prepared for someone on a food cart to dart out from nowhere.

With due respect, that's not always possible on long journeys on winding roads with precious few safe overtaking opportunities (eg Chiang Mai-Chiang Rai via Chang Dao).

I agree with the other responses here re the "usual meaning" of the usual flashes we see. I'd only add:

In the past 15 years Thai truck drivers have improved out of ALL measure. (WHO achieved this? The employers or the insurance companies??). With the obvious exceptions, they do their best to flash you through (left flash) or say NO (right flash) up here in Chiang Mai and further north, anyway. The average bus driver seems to me to be still some way down on the unselfish/helpful scale. And I see more of their wreckage in the weeds than trucks these days.

British drivers are more at risk re flashing than most visitors here. In the UK, depending on the circs, a flash of headlights in front of you, in daylight, can mean "You go first" or "Out of the way!" Here, it ALWAYS mean "Out of the way, NOW!"

Last for now, if a Thai driver (especially a motorcyclist!) starts to do something unutterably stupid in front of you, your horn or lights will make NO difference. He/she will look death in the face (or the mirror if they have one) and continue rather than change their mind.

Chok dee!