Gf Wants A Trackbike

deadman

hi there

The GF wants a trackbike. She can ride a motorbike but hasn't actually got one. So I plan to take her to bira or Thailand circuit on a quiet day, early in the morning. She can start on my er6, maybe i can follow her on my fireblade.

Should i try and teach her some things, or just let her ride round at her own pace? I suppose the most important thing is for her to just keep her line and not panic when she hears other riders coming up behind her. Would more experienced riders resent such a slower rider i wonder?

She is aware that there is a girl riders gang and they have a facebook website, don't know how that will help though. My guess is she would feel a bit intimidated by them. If her interest is anything like the guitar, touch typing, aerobics, water colours or the violin, this enthusiasm should have a shelf life of about a month. But, needless to say I'll encourage her as much as i can.

thanks

DM

Need more info.

Has she ever ridden big bikes before?

What does she know about racing lines, and track etiquette?

If the track is empty, just let here ease into it on her own.

If there's anyone else fast on the track, she's in danger and a hazard.

I know of a certain situation where an experienced rider was cut off by a novice taking an illogical line.

They crashed and one was limping around.

William, you crack me up, tell her to make me some Tom Yum Gai!

OK, I'm just kidding.

In fact, I met one girl back in LA and her only vehicle was an R6 but she upgraded to my Brutale 750.

That girl had bigger balls than me since everyone in LA is going 80 mph in Escalades, not 40 in Civics like here.

I've seen girls on the Willow Springs big track, so it's possible to have competent female riders.

Unlikely, but possible.

I would let her go at her own pace and see what happens. The woman from the Girl Rider group you mentioned all ride big bikes and tour all over Thailand. They also track their bikes. Here are some photos from their Facebook page.

post-121278-0-54982700-1338605903_thumb.

post-121278-0-77119400-1338605907_thumb.

post-121278-0-27472500-1338605912_thumb.

From a scooter to a 650cc bike on the track... Um, well anything is possible but I would suggest starting off with something a lot smaller, maybe 250cc or less. Once she can drive that bike safetly around the track and maintain a good line she could step up to a bigger engine bike. Also cheaper to repair lets say a 250CBR or 250Ninja and they are a lot easier to throw around the track versus a heavier bike.

Most guys have no idea when a female is riding a big bike. If shes wearing protective gear, unless cut for a woman, it can be pretty manly looking. Guys just assume the rider is male. Kinda funny when the female rider outrides a guy, with him having no clue about it. Even funnier the shock if for some reason he does find out.

Anyway.... my humble suggestion is making sure she has an open area, free of traffic, to practice on. Make sure she is wearing protective stuff, for even if she isnt going fast, if shes inexperienced she may fall. Talking of experience, if she is not confident on a manual in general, i suggest having her on something small initially, only you, and her can gauge that. Once she feels comfortable just generally handling the bike, start to set up some kind of mock situation. Still in the open area, but use markers to represent traffic lights etc..basically things she would normally come up against, so she practices more controlled use of the bike. Once she seems confident, could consider the use of something to try practice emergency braking..even if its throwing some small soft toy onto the road. Also consider teaching her how to fall, if she does, as well as the importance of good gear. Only when she has good grasp and ease of this, go out into traffic. Just my suggestion, but both do what you think would work best for her...and what she feels most comfortable with. Good luck to her! :D

• Like 1