New To Mtb 'Ing..

Advice needed...

I'm interested in buying a MTB to explore my local area, mainly road and gravel tracks through plantations, with some dirt and a few small rolling hills..

I've located a semi decent bike shop in Surat Thani, run by a guy who seems to know his stuff.

Reason for posting on here though, they only stock Trek and Merida. I have done a fair bit of research into both and seems like they are good value entry level bikes (Trek 4300 or Merida TFS 100) with similar specs. I would like to buy from this shop as I'm sure in the future I will need more gear and building a relationship up can't be a bad thing.

So, has anyone ridden or bought a Merida, as that is the direction I'm leaning in :)

Thanks

I've got Merida I bought it in BKK from the distributor. It's been a great bike no problems with the frame I think it's worthwhile spending extra and having LX Deore as a minimum spec components. They last longer and need less adjustment...

My wife and I have four bikes that were manufactured in one of Merida's factories, ranging in price from 14,000 to 150,000 baht, though none of them have Merida decals on them.

I don't know the specific bikes you mentioned but for an entry level bike, I don't think you can do much better than a Merida.

And I definitely agree that it's important to build a good relationship with your local bike shop.

Happy riding!

Thanks peoples..

Went with the Merida.. 16k for a reasonable entry level bike is fine with me.

The guy in the shop seems like a good fella, gave me discount on every thing I bought as I'm sure he sees a reliable source of income as I upgrade in future. Maybe that's why he recommended the entry level bike :)

Anyway, off for my first test ride this evening.. Hopefully I get on with it in standard configuration, otherwise the Mrs will be getting angry with me starting to change things straight away !!!

Here we go....

Have a Merida Matts TFS 500 (25'000 THB), 12'000 km on Thai roads (about 10 - 20 % off road) now, not a single reason to complain anything, never had a breakdown. I'm simply happy with it. Replaced the chain after 6'000 km (1'000 THB), soon I'll have to change the entire drive train.

Wish you an always safe ride!

Think I made the right choice for my needs..

Just did my 1st ride out this morning, 25km loop on tarmac and gravel. Not too much to complain about apart from the gears not being set up properly. Came back in 1hr with a very sore butt, plus a big smile..

Have now got the rear dérailleur set up just about but think the cage hanger is slightly bent in toward the wheel, it's working now although I will take it back to the shop to have it checked properly.

Looking fwd to more exploring and my butt getting used this saddle... :)

• 1 month later...

Think I made the right choice for my needs..

Just did my 1st ride out this morning, 25km loop on tarmac and gravel. Not too much to complain about apart from the gears not being set up properly. Came back in 1hr with a very sore butt, plus a big smile..

Have now got the rear dérailleur set up just about but think the cage hanger is slightly bent in toward the wheel, it's working now although I will take it back to the shop to have it checked properly.

Looking fwd to more exploring and my butt getting used this saddle... smile.png

Cycling is great, isn't it? Sure is nice to get out and see the world while getting in shape at the same time. Keep 'em spinning carlos!

By the way, new bikes always have small problems like you are finding. You are doing the right thing by looking into it yourself and taking it back to the shop. Have you bought yourself a patch kit and learned how to fix your tube yet? A chain tool is nice to have along too.

If you are riding on the highway I would urge you to fit a rear view mirror. I have managed to avoid possible serious injury or even death numerous times by keeping a close eye on what's coming from behind.

Just last Sunday I was almost creamed by a car "undertaking" two other vehicles each occupying a lane on a dual carriageway. The car was traveling fast and even though I pulled to my left as far as I could it still hit my side with its nearside mirror. Another very lucky escape. I always know what is behind me.

I have a Merida Matts 5, so does my wife. Great bike for my needs which is country roads and unmade tracks with just the occasional foray onto the main highways which I consider to be extremely dangerous. I use it twice a day at least, for about an hour each time. At 8,000 THB with loads of free extras, a real bargain and never had any trouble other than a screw coming loose on the pedal once - in more than 5 years use.

Have fun and be safe.

Ah the ever present SBS(sore bum syndrome)

Don't be suckered into buying something which is too wide and or soft. The seat needs to be just wide enough for you to be perched on your sit bones. Sit down hard on a piece of polystyrene foam And measure the deepest indentations. The nose needs to be as narrow as you can get away with to avoid chafing your inner thighs.

Can only assume you are using proper padded cycle shorts too. They're essential. Also rather than using a chamois creme I find a liberal application of medicated johnsons baby cream (not oil!!) works wonders to prevent soreness or worse, actual blisters. OUCH.

...you are on the right path. Just keep at it.

Expand your riding bit by bit. When you have an off day, just relax and give it a rest.

You can gear up as your experience gathers steam. Smart to get a mirror, dinger bell, odo and front fender

for rain and mud.

Next step is to find local riders---where else? Out on the trails!

keep it fun!