Ubon Thani - Nong Khai(Fireballs) - Nakhon Phanom - Bus Questions

healthcaretaker

Hi,

I will land in Ubon Thani airport at noon on Day 1 and need to be in Nong Khai on Day 2 for the Naga Fireballs and need to be in Nakhon Phanom on Day 3 for the Illuminated Boats Possession, leaving for BKK on Day 4 afternoon. I have some questions and hope some can help:

a) I read that there are mini-vans that go direct from Ubon Thani airport to Nong Khai. If I skip Ubon Thani city and arrive early afternoon at Nong Khai, I need to wait till the next night for the fireballs, will it be too boring and not enough to do ? Shall I spend the 1st day in Ubon Thai and go to Nong Khai the next morning ? Is there much to see for the tourists in Ubon Thani ?

B) From Nong Khai to Nakhon Phanom, I intend to take the bus on Day 3. The distance is 255 km but how long will the bus journey takes ? How will the bus goes ? Must I return to Ubon Thani for a connection or the bus goes direct from NK to NP ? From the map, the main road showed it pass UT.

c) Is the Nong Khai Naga Fireballs affair a 1 night event on the full moon night or a few nights around the full moon night ?

d) Are there any places to visit in Nakhon Phanom for half a day in the morning ?

e) I there any bus from Nakhon Phanom town centre to the airport ? I heard it is 16 kms away.

Thank you in advance.

Both of these events are extremely popular amongst Thai people and some foreigners. I suggest if you have not already booked your flight to do that TODAY as planes and other transport will all be full. For NKP expect to pay up to 3 times the usual hotel room rates --- if you can find one for that week. As the town will be packed with tourists, side-stalls and events, you will not find time to look at much else given your time constraint.

There are direct buses from Nong Khai which may take 5 (?) hours or more. One road follows the river and does not go through Udon Thani -- a beautiful if long run. Taxis/airport mini-bus are available for NKP airport but I don't know the cost.

There are other postings abut the bridge trip to Thakek but will you really have time?

Both of these events are extremely popular amongst Thai people and some foreigners. I suggest if you have not already booked your flight to do that TODAY as planes and other transport will all be full. For NKP expect to pay up to 3 times the usual hotel room rates --- if you can find one for that week. As the town will be packed with tourists, side-stalls and events, you will not find time to look at much else given your time constraint.

There are direct buses from Nong Khai which may take 5 (?) hours or more. One road follows the river and does not go through Udon Thani -- a beautiful if long run. Taxis/airport mini-bus are available for NKP airport but I don't know the cost.

There are other postings abut the bridge trip to Thakek but will you really have time?

Thanks,

I have booked airtickets for both BKK to Ubon Thani and also BKK to Nakhon Phanom but return to BKK from NP.

Are there any guesthouses or budget hotels in these 2 places that I can book online ?

Do you know the bus times ?

Thanks,

I have booked airtickets for both BKK to Ubon Thani and also BKK to Nakhon Phanom but return to BKK from NP.

Are there any guesthouses or budget hotels in these 2 places that I can book online ?

I think you should actually first concentrate on your original booking. SIRCHAI has asked if it is UDON or UBON you have booked as they are 400kms apart. As I said, MOST hotels in NKP will be fully booked by now & guest houses will also charge three times the normal price for most of the week's festival --- dunno how many appear online but I would suspect not many. More hotels are under construction so I cannot give you details. If you look on this forum from a few months back, I suggested a new hotel in the centre of town www.777hometel.com and are even on facebook. I suspect they will also charge premium prices for that period. Try Tripadvisor, Agoda, ot TAT for more hotel listings. Sri Thep Hotel sometimes hold rooms back BUT still pricey -- also try Viewkong, Riverview, Windsor (town centre and pokey). I have never taken the bus from NongKhai to NKP but I suspect you can also find out the times online.

Thanks,

I think you should actually first concentrate on your original booking. SIRCHAI has asked if it is UDON or UBON you have booked as they are 400kms apart. As I said, MOST hotels in NKP will be fully booked by now & guest houses will also charge three times the normal price for most of the week's festival --- dunno how many appear online but I would suspect not many. More hotels are under construction so I cannot give you details. If you look on this forum from a few months back, I suggested a new hotel in the centre of town www.777hometel.com and are even on facebook. I suspect they will also charge premium prices for that period. Try Tripadvisor, Agoda, ot TAT for more hotel listings. Sri Thep Hotel sometimes hold rooms back BUT still pricey -- also try Viewkong, Riverview, Windsor (town centre and pokey). I have never taken the bus from NongKhai to NKP but I suspect you can also find out the times online.

Thanks again,

Do you know if these 2 events are just 1-night-event or last more than 1 night ?

• 4 months later...