Manchester United

redrus

And speaking of paying a lot for a player...

I know that's it's early to be making any judgments, but what first impression is Berbatov making?

For me i'm finding it a struggle to accept the attitude he brings to the pitch. Trudging around with his shoulders down, not bothering to chase back when he loses possession, and seemingly not bothering to make enough runs. I don't remember him being that lazy for Spurs, at least not until he knew he wanted out, but maybe he was and i just didn't notice it with all the goals he was popping in.

I guess it's not a necessity for all strikers to be hard-workers. Nistelroy wasn't much of one, but nevertheless an effective goal scorer (if that's not the understatement of the day?!)

Anyway, what do you guys think? Do you think he'll change the way he plays the game, or should i say, be made to? Will he be a United legend?

I know that's it's early to be making any judgments, but what first impression is Berbatov making?

For me i'm finding it a struggle to accept the attitude he brings to the pitch. Trudging around with his shoulders down, not bothering to chase back when he loses possession, and seemingly not bothering to make enough runs. I don't remember him being that lazy for Spurs, at least not until he knew he wanted out, but maybe he was and i just didn't notice it with all the goals he was popping in.

I guess it's not a necessity for all strikers to be hard-workers. Nistelroy wasn't much of one, but nevertheless an effective goal scorer (if that's not the understatement of the day?!)

Anyway, what do you guys think? Do you think he'll change the way he plays the game, or should i say, be made to? Will he be a United legend?

We all knew the way Berbatov played before he came to Man U. He mopes around for 85% of the time, but the rest of the time is absolute brilliance. We already have Rooney and Tevez to run their legs off all over the field for 90 minutes, what united need is a player like Berbatov; who is only interested in being around the opponents penalty area.

We all knew the way Berbatov played before he came to Man U. He mopes around for 85% of the time, but the rest of the time is absolute brilliance. We already have Rooney and Tevez to run their legs off all over the field for 90 minutes, what united need is a player like Berbatov; who is only interested in being around the opponents penalty area.

Did you not see the way he played against Aalborg? He kept dropping deeper and deeper and there were a number of times when crosses were made into the box that had he been there, he could well have been on the end of. I guess it could be a confidence thing, and now having scored a couple, he'll play differently. I hope so. Not saying he has to dash about with ants in his pants like Tevez, but just like to see him play with a bit more bravery, desire and passion.

• 2 weeks later...

Double boost for Reds engine room

11/10/2008

UNITED'S injury-hit engine room will soon be boosted by the return of Michael Carrick and Owen Hargreaves.

The England duo are set to make their comebacks in the Old Trafford Premiership clash with West Bromwich Albion a week today.

Carrick has missed the last six matches since breaking a bone in his foot against Liverpool a month ago.

The 27-year-old had only started one game before his Anfield misery but manager Sir Alex Ferguson says he will almost certainly be back in contention to face the Baggies.

"We are expecting Michael to be available next week. He is almost back to full training now," said the United boss.

Meanwhile, Owen's frustrating long-term problem with knee tendinitis has improved.

He has fought the injury on and off ever since he arrived from Bayern Munich in the summer of 2007.

It struck him down again on the eve of the double winner's pre-season tour of South Africa. Despite treatment and injections throughout last term, the problem returned during the close season and forced the 27-year-old to skip the tour.

His delayed return began with an appearance as sub against Liverpool and starts against Villarreal and Chelsea.

But the trouble reappeared and has forced him to miss the last four matches.

However, Fergie is now confident he'll be able to kick-start his season against Albion.

"Owen is much better and we will pencil him in for the West Brom game without question," said Sir Alex.

I noticed (highlights on TV) that loaned out Frazier Campbell looked pretty good last night, scoring once and very near another.

Must be sad for the Spur's to pay that much for Pavchencko or whatever his name is when FC who they got for free looks more a threat to score.

This was very good business for Man U. I can imagine Fergie saying to him "son go down to London and you can come back to us a better and more experienced player". In the meantime Spurs pay his wages and he cant play against United and he will come back next season. Whether he can make the first team United squad is another matter but has to be good for the boy.

He has been compared to the great Eric Cantona who could look out of sorts and then explode to win vital matches. Berbatov has only been there 5 minutes. He wi l need time to settle in but I have no doubt he will be at United for maybe the rest of his career and will prove to be a great player for the club.

Double boost for Reds engine room

11/10/2008

UNITED'S injury-hit engine room will soon be boosted by the return of Michael Carrick and Owen Hargreaves.

The England duo are set to make their comebacks in the Old Trafford Premiership clash with West Bromwich Albion a week today.

Carrick has missed the last six matches since breaking a bone in his foot against Liverpool a month ago.

The 27-year-old had only started one game before his Anfield misery but manager Sir Alex Ferguson says he will almost certainly be back in contention to face the Baggies.

"We are expecting Michael to be available next week. He is almost back to full training now," said the United boss.

Meanwhile, Owen's frustrating long-term problem with knee tendinitis has improved.

He has fought the injury on and off ever since he arrived from Bayern Munich in the summer of 2007.

It struck him down again on the eve of the double winner's pre-season tour of South Africa. Despite treatment and injections throughout last term, the problem returned during the close season and forced the 27-year-old to skip the tour.

His delayed return began with an appearance as sub against Liverpool and starts against Villarreal and Chelsea.

But the trouble reappeared and has forced him to miss the last four matches.

However, Fergie is now confident he'll be able to kick-start his season against Albion.

"Owen is much better and we will pencil him in for the West Brom game without question," said Sir Alex.

Conflicting reports coming out of Manchester.Just read a transcript of an interview with Fergie which says. Michael Carrick is not ready for the weekend and Owen Hargreaves is still struggling with tendonitis in his knees. Guess we will have to wait and see !!!!!!!!!

Hargreaves is a real worry.He is becoming another Louis Saha. I dont mean that unkindly because from all reports he is doing everything to overcome the problem. It could be career threatening, lets hope not. Tendonitis is very difficult to treat succesfully and Owen has hardly had a clear run in 2 seasons.

Real Madrid eye Old Trafford star Tevez

By Soccernet staff

October 17, 2008

Comment

Email

Print

Real Madrid are planning a double swoop on Manchester United's strike force, having set their sights on Old Trafford frontman Carlos Tevez, as well as Cristiano Ronaldo, claims The Daily Mirror.

GettyImages

Carlos Tevez: Two-year loan deal will end at close of 2008-9 season.

The Spanish giants' Argentine striker Gonzalo Higuain says Tevez is a target for the Primera Liga side, with Real hoping to take advantage of United's failure to thrash out a deal with Tevez. The striker is still on loan to United, and the Manchester club have yet to agree a new contract with the forward and advisors MSI.

"I hope Carlos comes. He's a great player and, if he comes, he will be welcomed," said Higuain this week.

Tevez, meanwhile, claims he is happy in the Premier League. "I love playing in the Premier League and I am very happy at Manchester United," he said. But with United reportedly weighing up a move for 18-year-old, £20m-rated Gremio wonderkid Douglas Costa, it is possible United may be unwilling to fund a £30m permanent move for the former Boca Juniors player, who scored 19 times for the Red Devils last season.

The Spanish giants' interest in Ronaldo continues, and it is widely anticipated they will resume their dogged pursuit of the Portuguese star next summer. Last weekend saw coach Bernd Schuster say he expected to land Ronaldo for the 2009/10 season.

Real Madrid eye Old Trafford star Tevez

By Soccernet staff

October 17, 2008

Comment

Email

Print

Real Madrid are planning a double swoop on Manchester United's strike force, having set their sights on Old Trafford frontman Carlos Tevez, as well as Cristiano Ronaldo, claims The Daily Mirror.

GettyImages

Carlos Tevez: Two-year loan deal will end at close of 2008-9 season.

The Spanish giants' Argentine striker Gonzalo Higuain says Tevez is a target for the Primera Liga side, with Real hoping to take advantage of United's failure to thrash out a deal with Tevez. The striker is still on loan to United, and the Manchester club have yet to agree a new contract with the forward and advisors MSI.

"I hope Carlos comes. He's a great player and, if he comes, he will be welcomed," said Higuain this week.

Tevez, meanwhile, claims he is happy in the Premier League. "I love playing in the Premier League and I am very happy at Manchester United," he said. But with United reportedly weighing up a move for 18-year-old, £20m-rated Gremio wonderkid Douglas Costa, it is possible United may be unwilling to fund a £30m permanent move for the former Boca Juniors player, who scored 19 times for the Red Devils last season.

The Spanish giants' interest in Ronaldo continues, and it is widely anticipated they will resume their dogged pursuit of the Portuguese star next summer. Last weekend saw coach Bernd Schuster say he expected to land Ronaldo for the 2009/10 season.

Yeah, get rid they're both <deleted>.....! :o

Jasus, the rumour mill continues this season don't it.... :D

redrus

Rather disappointed with United support today, a rousing chorus of the 'Fields of Athenry', was subjected to catcalls, when this had little effect, the anthem of 'United. United' seemed rather lacking, when both these rather grandiose chants went begging you could still hear the melodic theme of the lonesome transportee.

:o:D

Moss

Rather disappointed with United support today, a rousing chorus of the 'Fields of Athenry', was subjected to catcalls, when this had little effect, the anthem of 'United. United' seemed rather lacking, when both these rather grandiose chants went begging you could still hear the melodic theme of the lonesome transportee.

:o:D

Moss

Mate, at that point the game was done and dusted and everyone was tucking into a pie and pint, personally couldn't care less if Celtic fans sang "take the long way home'' by Supertramp.

United forced to dismiss Mourinho speculation

October 25, 2008

Comment

Email

Print

Manchester United have rejected speculation that they have opened talks with Jose Mourinho about becoming their next manager.

Mourinho tantalisingly suggested earlier this week that he would return to the Premier League once his contract with Inter Milan expires in 2011.

While the timescale is slightly out, to an extent it does fit with Sir Alex Ferguson's summer declaration that he would only remain at Old Trafford for another two years, meaning he would finish in 2010, after 24 years at the helm.

Mourinho would be an obvious replacement, given both his impressive track record at Chelsea and a personality that would ensure following Ferguson's unrivalled dynasty did not overwhelm him.

And it has not taken long for the first reports to emerge linking Mourinho with the Red Devils.

Amid the claim is that Ferguson feels Mourinho is the only man for the job and that tentative talks have taken place.

However, United have rejected such a notion, insisting they have not looked at what might happen when Ferguson finally decides to step down.

"As we have said many times before, there has been no discussion about who will eventually succeed Sir Alex,'' said a United spokesman.

Ferguson has already become United's most successful manager, winning his second Champions League trophy in May with a penalty shoot-out victory over Chelsea, who had Avram Grant in charge.

It was Mourinho's failure to land Europe's biggest prize that led to his exit from Stamford Bridge, although he did win the competition - and the UEFA Cup - during an impressive spell at Porto, beating United on the way.

No official gathering place for the Devil's in BKK?

Thought Thailand got 14 million United fans... :o

yea, outside the Arsenal store at central world waiting for the Asene Venga commemorative 5 year without a trophy tie, that will go on sale in March.

Only available in off red from what I hear.

No official gathering place for the Devil's in BKK?

Thought Thailand got 14 million United fans... :D

yea, outside the Arsenal store at central world waiting for the Asene Venga commemorative 5 year without a trophy tie, that will go on sale in March.

Only available in off red from what I hear.

Not sure I can get my hands on any to be honest, it's about as dry as a City trophy cabinet when it comes to Arsenal actually doing something instead of talking about it.... :D:o

redrus

United's Ronaldo: Clash Against Celtic Was Perfect Way Of Preparing For Arsenal

Submitted by Angel Fernandes on Thu, 2008-11-06 03:56. Manchester United Premiership Player News

Manchester United’s Cristiano Ronaldo feels that his sides 1-1 draw with Celtic last night in the UEFA Cup was the perfect preparation for the Premier League Champions ahead of their all important clash against Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium on Saturday.

The Red Devils played well but fell behind in the 13th minute to a goal from Scott McDonald. However, Ryan Giggs proved to be the saviour for the Old Trafford side, scoring the equaliser with just minutes to go to the final whistle.

"We had enough chances to win but a draw is good," Ronaldo told MUTV.

"We now have eight points and it looks like we're through to the next round.

"Sometimes the goal doesn't come but in the second half we played fantastically and created a lot of chances. We played in their half of the pitch and played a lot better in the second half.

"We could have scored more than one. The goalkeeper made a few good saves, but sometimes it's not possible to score goals. Last week we scored four goals, tonight we scored one goal. Celtic didn't cause us any problems in the second half, so I think we deserved the point."

United are now preparing for thier trip to the Emirates to face the Gunners on Saturday in the lunchtime fixture.

He added: "The aim is not to lose a game. We came [to Celtic] to win three points. It wasn't possible tonight but we did get one point and now we're thinking about the next game. I think the team is playing well."

Arsenal in crisis? Don't bank on it, says Ronaldo

Chris Hatherall and James Olley

Cristiano Ronaldo has insisted Arsenal cannot be ruled out of the title race and has called for Manchester United to give Arsene Wenger's men real respect when they visit Emirates Stadium on Saturday.

Wenger has already hinted the Gunners cannot afford to lose to United if they want to remain in contention for the championship, having already lost to Stoke, Fulham and Hull.

The Gunners played out a disappointing 0-0 draw against Fenerbahce in the Champions League last night and will be without Emmanuel Adebayor (injured) and Robin van Persie (suspended) at the weekend.

Ronaldo, whose 84th-minute shot set up Ryan Giggs for a late leveller in United's 1-1 draw at Celtic Park, said: "I think we played well and now we need to think about the next game against Arsenal.

"We go to Arsenal to win three points. We know it is a tough game - an away game against Arsenal is always tough. But it's possible to win there because our team is playing good and we play with a great spirit."

Ronaldo admitted he has been surprised by Arsenal's shaky start to the season but fears a late surge from Wenger's men could still put them back in contention.

He said: "Last season Arsenal started very well and dropped points at the end of the season. Maybe this season it's going to be different, maybe it's going to be the other way around. They have lost points at the start and now maybe they will finish strong.

"That's why it's a difficult game. But we need to think only about ourselves. We have a great team, we have a great spirit and we want to win the title again. To do that we have to win three points there."

Ronaldo, however, has warned that any talk of a walkover for United is ridiculous, especially as the champions are yet to win at The Emirates.

"It's a new stadium and maybe that's the reason we haven't done well there," he said. "So we have to be careful.

"Arsenal are having a tough time but we play with 11 players the same as them and I think it's going to be difficult - they are always strong at home. We have to respect Arsenal because they have great talents."

Kolo Toure insisted Arsenal will prove they can win the League against United on Saturday, even though they have now failed to win at home for three matches.

Toure said: "I played against United already and I know what I have to expect. I think it's going to be a good game and we will show them we are still in the race for the title.

"We are still in there. We are fourth at the moment. It's not a must win game, it is another game. We know that the Premier League is really long - we are not in the second half yet.

"We just have to rely on our play. We play football, we pass the ball try to play with our quality."

Nicklas Bendtner looks set to lead the attack against Sir Alex Ferguson's side, with either Abou Diaby or Mexican teenager Carlos Vela in support.

redrus

Jasus, I luv football...!

That game, my friends, is the classic example of why in my mind, camera technology should NOT be used. We should have had a penalty for a blatant handball, not given cos of a blind linesman and ref. That, is THE magic of football. United lost and that is the magic, those decisions make football what it is and, today my team could have pulled of an unlikely draw ar even a win on that decision....!

I'm not happy we lost at all but...................., thats the game...............!!!!!

redrus

That game, my friends, is the classic example of why in my mind, camera technology should NOT be used. We should have had a penalty for a blatant handball, not given cos of a blind linesman and ref. That, is THE magic of football. United lost and that is the magic, those decisions make football what it is and, today my team could have pulled of an unlikely draw ar even a win on that decision....!

I'm not happy we lost at all but...................., thats the game...............!!!!!

redrus

Whats up with Berba? he doesn't seem to be the same player he was when he was with the Yids?

redrus

Don't agree with you regarding the handball at all but will say it was a very exciting game to watch, though not happy with the result.

Attitude Pleases Fergie

redissue

Wednesday, 12th November 2008

Sir Alex Ferguson admitted to being pleased with the attitude of his young squad in the Carling Cup tie against QPR.

United progressed to the quarter final stage's of the competition courtesy of a Carlos Tevez penalty goal in the 76th minute of the 4th Round tie at Old Trafford on Tuesday evening.

"The conditions made things a bit difficult in terms of the ball coming off the surface quickly, but I think we controlled that part well," the United boss told MUTV after the 1-0 win.

"We played with good patience and good speed and stretched them really well.

"QPR haven't lost a lot of goals recently and they defended very well as we expected. So it was always going to be tough.

"But overall I'm very pleased by the attitude of the players. They worked very hard and we're all delighted to get through.

"We're used to teams coming here and defending. But what we did well was making sure we had them on the edge of their box for most of the game.

"It was just a matter of opening up and getting the first chance, which proved difficult to begin with."

redrus

Now I know why I like UTD.

Manchester United players are fat due to a diet of beer and burgers, claims Gerard Pique

Barcelona defender Gerard Pique has revealed that Manchester United's players are fat due to a poor diet of burgers and beer and that he could not understand a word manager Sir Alex Ferguson said.

Perhaps Mr Pique can ask Barca to follow the same regime as it seems to be a winning formula.

I just wonder why my midsection doesn't in any way resemble CR's? Afterall, we are on the same diet.

Manchester United players are fat due to a diet of beer and burgers, claims Gerard Pique

Barcelona defender Gerard Pique has revealed that Manchester United's players are fat due to a poor diet of burgers and beer and that he could not understand a word manager Sir Alex Ferguson said.

Perhaps Mr Pique can ask Barca to follow the same regime as it seems to be a winning formula.

I just wonder why my midsection doesn't in any way resemble CR's? Afterall, we are on the same diet.

have you tried repeatedly throwing yourself dramatically to the floor when nobody is anywhere near you?

have you tried repeatedly throwing yourself dramatically to the floor when nobody is anywhere near you?

No, but I have tried missing penalties and dying my hair blonde. :o