Manchester United

redrus

Now if only my Gig was as talented at Sir Ryan...

Ryan Giggs has confirmed that he is set to sign a new contract at Manchester United.

The United legend scored the only goal in the 1-0 win over West Ham at the weekend which meant he had scored in all 17 Premier League seasons, the only player to achieve the feat.

Despite being 36, Giggs is still part of Sir Alex Ferguson's plans and the Welshman is now set to sign for another 12 months, insisting he will not be quitting.

"I won't be retiring. There's no truth in these stories. I'm enjoying football more than ever," he told the Daily Mirror.

"I'm in talks on a new contract and hopefully I will sign it soon.

"Things couldn't be better. I'm playing with a very talented group of players and the spirit in the dressing room has never been so good.

"It's my intention to carry on playing for the club beyond this season."

^

I'll have a go at speaking for footy lovers everywhere.

Ryan deserves an enourmous amount for the delight and pain but, mainly great memories he's given fans all over the world and, fully deserves a new contract and possibly another after that.

There were many, even at United who were writing him off two seasons ago....! :o

redrus

Jamie Carragher is a red, is a red is a red..................................

Carragher Wants Scousers To Turn Into United;

Vital Football.co.uk

Jamie Carragher has frequently expressed his admiration for Sir Alex Ferguson and Manchester United in the past. Now when asked about what Liverpool need to win the title he once again cast his eyes in the direction of the other end of the East Lancs Road.

As Liverpool have once again scored the winner at the dying seconds of a game, they are still within touching distance of us on the table and Carragher reckons they'll have to keep conjuring up late winners to have any chance.

"It`s something Manchester United have done a lot in the past to win titles and you`ve got to take your hat off to them because they`ve done it over the years and this season as well.

"It`s something we`ve not been too good at in recent years but we seem to have it in our locker this season and hopefully that will push us as close to the title as possible."

There is this myth in England that playing badly and still being able to win is the hallmark of champions. I saw Fulham and Bolton winning while playing badly but they do not have championship qualities. The hallmark of champions is that they play well most of the time AND are still able to win when they play badly.

Liverpool, contrary to Carragher's belief, do not have to improve in the latter. They have to improve in the former: they would have to start playing consistently well, something they haven't done all season. Deflected shots in the last minute, soft red cards and dodgy penalties can only take you so far. They have the luck of champions but they don't have the class of champions.

redrus

More brown nosing from the second Reds................ :o

United are 'scarily strong' - Agger

Author: Nigel Brown-13 February 2009 - 10:47 AM

Liverpool defender Daniel Agger concedes that Manchester United are looking scarily strong in their pursuit of a third successive title.

Sir Alex Ferguson's men are two points ahead of Liverpool, with a game in hand, and Danish ace Agger reckons his team will have to beat them at Old Trafford if they want to stop United winning the league. United will equal Liverpool's haul of 18 league titles if they can stay top and the league leaders will open up a five point gap if they beat Fulham at home next Wednesday.

And Agger admits it's going to be difficult to stop United on current form.

"I take my hat off to United. They have showed scary strength and have many strings to play on," he told Ekstra Bladet.

"They are the most stable and they win the close games.

"If we want to keep our chances for the trophy alive we can't draw so many games. Manchester United could be five points ahead of us if they win next Wednesday's game against Fulham.

"Because of that we will have to beat them at Old Trafford."

redrus

Just like to wish Man Utd all the luck in the world NOT...

I really hope that you take tonights game easy, i want to see all your 1st team in the starting line up. So tomorrows headline will be "Utd Rammed out of the FA Cup" and You Will Have No Excuses about "we put the kids out" and it back fired.

The Rams are well up for it, very confident that IF we get through the first 20 min, the games Ours....

Can not wait to see it on the INTERNET!!!

Just like to wish Man Utd all the luck in the world NOT...

I really hope that you take tonights game easy, i want to see all your 1st team in the starting line up. So tomorrows headline will be "Utd Rammed out of the FA Cup" and You Will Have No Excuses about "we put the kids out" and it back fired.

The Rams are well up for it, very confident that IF we get through the first 20 min, the games Ours....

Can not wait to see it on the INTERNET!!!

Is there 2 Derby's :o that strange could of swore our reserves knocked them out of the Carling Cup a few weeks ago :D

4 - 3 was an Excellent result over two legs against the "Best Club in the World".

Atleast Tonight is only 90 mins and every dog has its day.

We Are Derby...

Nothing wrong in dreaming PhuketRam best of luck to ......................Utd Tonight :o

Well Beat as really expected, but we did put up a bit of a fight in the second half..

Strange off side rule which i had not seen for years...

Ronaldo ran onto the ball 25 yds, stroked it into the net, then the flag went up???

The replay showed he was just offside, so why did he not flag straight away? Because until he touches the ball, he is not interfearing with play...

now i thought that rule went out in the 80's

for the second goal, park and nani clearly offside but deemed not interfearing? the question is park actually jumped over the ball.

In the words of the late Brian Clough " If a player is deemed not to be interfearing with play, what the f... is he doing on the pitch ".

paul masefield at halftime said "Park by jumping over the ball becomes a distraction for the goal keeper and it should not have been given".

Personnally we see this every week, interfearing with play, a very grey area and we will contest these issues again and again. This is why its the best game in the world.

Again well done Man Utd, it may have been 4, but we were not disgraced... :o:D

In the words of the late Brian Clough " If a player is deemed not to be interfearing with play, what the f... is he doing on the pitch ".

Great line from the Great Man bet he said that live on the TV knowing Cloughy lol.

A consolation for you Ram is at least you managed a goal against us, something thats aluded the Premiership teams for a few months :o

I see mrbojangles is on here right now he must be looking for some tips for the Blue half of the city, as their in despearate need to learn how to make their mega bucks actualy give results :D :D

In BJ's defense, at least he hangs around here win or lose, unless certain Arsenal fans, who only show up when they win or when the name Bergkamp is mentioned. :o

I see mrbojangles is on here right now he must be looking for some tips for the Blue half of the city, as their in despearate need to learn how to make their mega bucks actualy give results :D :D

In BJ's defense, at least he hangs around here win or lose, unless certain Arsenal fans, who only show up when they win or when the name Bergkamp is mentioned. :o

:D

I think that the only way we will make our mega bucks work, is to get rid of Hughes. He, in my opinion, just ain't got what it takes.

It will also be interesting to see what hapens when SAF leaves United. Will the new guy be able to fill the red nose's shoes?

Rude gullet said at Newcastle "How do you motivate 11 Multi Millionaires who talk about their next Rolls Royce, and not on who they are playing on Saturday".

Very difficult, I believe Hughes is going through this same syndrome where Sir Alex has always been able to control and get respect from his players, otherwise your OUT. S A has done a wonderful job of keeping giggs out the lime light for years.

is it hughes fault that you bought pay check players instead of players who actually want to play for the club. Look at Ireland, revelation this season and he did not cost a penny. Big Phil had no control at chelsea so why whould he do a good job at City?

anyway, a picture taken of Roy Keene leaving Sunderland

post-62438-1234781777_thumb.jpg

Rude gullet said at Newcastle "How do you motivate 11 Multi Millionaires who talk about their next Rolls Royce, and not on who they are playing on Saturday".

Very difficult, I believe Hughes is going through this same syndrome where Sir Alex has always been able to control and get respect from his players, otherwise your OUT. S A has done a wonderful job of keeping giggs out the lime light for years.

is it hughes fault that you bought pay check players instead of players who actually want to play for the club. Look at Ireland, revelation this season and he did not cost a penny. Big Phil had no control at chelsea so why whould he do a good job at City?

anyway, a picture taken of Roy Keene leaving Sunderland

post-62438-1234781777_thumb.jpg

Now that's funny :o:D:D

I see mrbojangles is on here right now he must be looking for some tips for the Blue half of the city, as their in despearate need to learn how to make their mega bucks actualy give results :wai::D

:D

I think that the only way we will make our mega bucks work, is to get rid of Hughes. He, in my opinion, just ain't got what it takes.

It will also be interesting to see what hapens when SAF leaves United. Will the new guy be able to fill the red nose's shoes?

It will also be interesting to see what hapens when SAF leaves United.

Did you have to bring that point up was havin a good day till you made me think of that sad day to come . :D

No one will ever replace the Great man but I'm sure we'll still be in their. :D

February 16th, 2009

Stats To Prove Liverpool Boss Wrong

“Manchester United make €65m a year more than we do and buy three £20m players a season,” said Rafa. “Chelsea must have spent £500m in five years. We have built a team but economically we are way below them and yet we have still managed to compete. In the five years I have been here I have spent less than £40m on Torres and Keane. How are we supposed to compete with them?”

I raised the point that if Benitez had spent his money wisely, then Liverpool would have been easily able to compete over the past few years. As it is, Benitez has wasted millions on total dross.

My observation brought a lot of Liverpool fans over to the blog talking about net spend and money spent and saved. I thought I’d investigate in to their claims. My findings were rather pleasing.

Liverpool Players In Since Summer 2004

Josemi Rey (£2,000,000)

Antonio Nunez (£1,500,000)

Luis Garcia (£6,000,000)

Xabi Alonso (£10,700,000)

Mauricio Pellegrino (Free)

Fernando Morientes (£6,300,000)

Scott Carson (£1,000,000)

Antonio Barragan (£240,000)

Boudewijn Zenden (Free)

Jose Reina (£6,000,000)

Mohamed Sissoko (£5,600,000)

Peter Crouch (£7,000,000)

Godwin Antwi (Unknown)

Miki Roque (Unknown)

Jack Hobbs (£150,000)

Besian Idrizaj (£190,000)

Mark Gonzalez (£1,500,000)

Paul Anderson (Player Exchange)

Jan Kromkamp (Player Exchange)

Daniel Agger (£5,800,000)

David Martin (£250,000)

Robbie Fowler (Free)

Craig Bellamy (£6,000,000)

Gabriel Paletta (£2,000,000)

Fábio Aurélio (Free)

Jermaine Pennant (£6,700,000)

Dirk Kuyt (£9,000,000)

Nabil El Zhar (£200,000)

Jordy Brouwer (Undisclosed)

Francisco Durán (£66,000)

Ronald Huth (Undisclosed)

Álvaro Arbeloa (£2,500,000)

Lucas Leiva (£5,000,000)

Mikel San José Domínguez (£270,000)

Sebastian Leto (£1,800,000)

Fernando Torres (£20,200,000)

Andriy Voronin (Free)

Yossi Benayoun (£5,000,000)

Ryan Babel (£11,500,000)

Charles Itandje (Undisclosed)

Emiliano Insúa (£1,300,000)

Martin Skrtel (£6,500,000)

Javier Mascherano (£17,000,000)

Philipp Degen (Free)

Andrea Dossena (£7,000,000)

Diego Cavalieri (£3,500,000)

David Ngog (£1,500,000)

Robbie Keane (£19,000,000)

Albert Riera (£8,000,000)

Total spend: £189.866m

Liverpool Players Out Since Summer 2004

Markus Babbel (Free)

Danny Murphy (£2,500,000)

Michael Owen (£8,500,000)

Stephane Henchoz (Free)

Vladimir Smicer (Free)

El Hadji Diouf (£3,500,000)

Mauricio Pellegrino (Free)

Alou Diarra (£2,000,000)

Mark Smyth (Free)

Paul Harrison (Free)

Richie Partridge (Free)

Patrice Luzi (Free)

Gregory Vignal (Free)

Igor Biscan (Free)

Jon Otsemobor (Free)

Antonio Nunez (£2,000,000)

Milan Baros (£6,500,000)

John Welsh (Player Exchange)

Josemi Rey (Player Exchange)

Zak Whitbread (£200,000)

Bruno Cheyrou (Undisclosed)

Robbie Foy (Free)

David Raven (Free)

Fernando Morientes (£3,000,000)

Dietmar Hamann (Free)

Antonio Barragan (£675,000)

Djimi Traore (£2,000,000)

Carl Medjani (Free)

Neil Mellor (£500,000)

Jan Kromkamp (£1,750,000)

Chris Kirkland (£3,500,000)

Darren Potter (£250,000)

Stephen Warnock (£1,500,000)

Salif Diao (Free)

Florent S.-Pongolle (£2,700,000)

Danny O’ Donnell (£100,000)

Jerzy Dudek (Free)

Boudewijn Zenden (Free)

Robbie Fowler (Free)

Luis Garcia (£4,000,000)

Djibril Cissé (£6,000,000)

Craig Bellamy (£7,500,000)

Mark Gonzalez (£3,500,000)

Gabriel Paletta (£1,200,000)

James Smith (Free)

Mohamed Sissoko (£8,200,000)

Lee Peltier (Free)

John Arne Riise (£4,000,000)

Harry Kewell (Free)

Anthony Le Tallec (Undisclosed)

Peter Crouch (£11,000,000)

Danny Guthrie (£2,250,000)

Scott Carson (£3,250,000)

Steve Finnan (Undisclosed)

Robbie Keane (£15,000,000)

Total sale: £107.075m

Net spend: £82.791m

Manchester United Players In Since Summer 2004

Tosic (£17m)

Berbatov (£30.75m)

Nani (£17m)

Hargreaves (£17m)

Anderson (£18m)

Kuzczak (£2.5m)

Carrick (£18.6m)

Foster (£1m)

Vidic (£7m)

Evra (£5.5m)

Park (£4m)

Van der Sar (£2.5m)

Rooney (£30m)

Total spend: £170.35m

Manchester United Players Out Since Summer 2004

Nicky Butt (£2.5m)

Luke Chadwick (Free)

Diego Forlan (£2m)

Bojan Djordjic (Free)

Eric Djemba-Djemba (£1.35)

Roy Carroll (Free)

Daniel Nardiello (Free)

Phil Neville (£3.5m)

Kleberson (£2.5m)

Roy Keane (Free)

David Fox (Free)

Neil Wood (Free)

Phil Picken (Free)

Tommy Lee (Free)

Jonathan Spector (£500,000)

Eddie Johnson (Free)

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake (£200,000)

Quinton Fortune (Free)

Ruud van Nistelrooy (£11m)

Luke Steele (Player exchange)

Paul McShane (Free)

Liam Miller (Free)

David Jones (£1m)

Tim Howard (£3m)

Kieran Richardson (£5.5m)

Giuseppe Rossi (£6.6m)

Daniel Rose (Undisclosed)

Alan Smith (£6m)

Gabriel Heinze (£8m)

Phil Marsh (Free)

Adam Eckersley (Free)

Ryan Shawcross (£1m)

Phil Bardsley (£2m)

Kieran Lee (Free)

Gerard Pique (£5m)

Michael Lea (Free)

Ritchie Jones (Free)

Chris Eagles (£1m)

Mikael Silvestre (£750k)

Louis Saha (Undisclosed)

Total sale: £63.4m

Net spend: £106.95m

When taking in to consideration the money spent on players and the money recouped, there is a difference of just £24.2 million between United and Liverpool since the summer of 2004.

The season before Benitez took over, Liverpool were fourth in the league. United finished just one place above them that season.

Liverpool trophies since summer of 2004: 1 Champions League, 1 FA Cup,

Manchester United trophies since summer of 2004: 2 Premiership titles, 1 Champions League, 1 League Cup.

So, there is a difference of just £24.2 million, an average of just £6 million a season, and Benitez wants to know how he is supposed to compete with United? The diffence in spending between United and Chelsea was far greater in the years leading up to our title win in 2007, with Abramovich splashing his cash at a rate United simply couldn’t compete with. That didn’t stop us from competing with them for honours though.

Excuses, excuses from Mr. Benitez.

“He’s crackin up, he’s crackin up, he’s crackin, Rafa’s crackin u

redrus

CARLING CUP FINAL - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v MANCHESTER UNITED

GIBSON NOT BUILDING UP HOPES OF FINAL PLACE

ComeOnBoro.com; Mon 16 Feb 2009

Sir Alex Ferguson might have given Darron Gibson a public assurance that his Carling Cup final place is secure, but the Republic of Ireland international is not building his hopes up just yet.

As an ever-present in Manchester United's run to Wembley, where they will face Tottenham on March 1, Gibson was always likely to be involved.

And, according to Ferguson, his impressive performance in the FA Cup win at Derby yesterday, when he scored his second goal of the campaign, sealed it.

However, until Gibson sees his name on the United team sheet, he will be taking nothing for granted.

"The Carling Cup has been good for me this year so fingers crossed I will play in the final, but the manager has not told me anything yet," said Gibson.

With the protracted wrangle over his international destiny now resolved, the Derry-born midfielder has been able to concentrate solely on his playing career.

An unused substitute in the Republic's comeback World Cup win over Georgia at Croke Park last week, Gibson has a maturity that impresses Giovanni Trapattoni.

At 21, Gibson also still has time on his side to make it at United.

After an impressive loan spell at Wolves last term, Gibson has now made 10 appearances this season, including a Premier League debut against Stoke, with yesterday's impressive display coming in his preferred central midfield spot.

"I don't mind playing on the right but central midfield is my proper position," he said.

"I feel more comfortable in there but to be honest, I am just happy to be on the pitch.

"In training I have been working on trying to get into the box and having a few more shots. I am glad I scored but the main thing is we got through."

With United's season continuing to progress on every front, Gibson can expect plenty of first-team exposure in the coming weeks.

Apart from the Carling Cup showpiece, a place in the FA Cup quarter-final at either Fulham or Swansea a week later can also be anticipated, while Ferguson may also look to maximise his squad in Premier League games once the Champions League holders resume the defence of their trophy against Inter Milan next week.

"We have a great squad," observed Gibson.

"The young players are coming in, doing well and taking their chances so, if everything goes our way, we can go all the way."

redrus

February 16th, 2009

Interesting how the cost of Ronaldo has been conveniently left out of that Red. :o Yeah i know he was signed in 2003 at about £12m but how much did United spend a couple of seasons ago (or was it last season) renewing his contract? That was in the £30+m wasn't it? So either way, he should be included.

February 16th, 2009

Interesting how the cost of Ronaldo has been conveniently left out of that Red. :o Yeah i know he was signed in 2003 at about £12m but how much did United spend a couple of seasons ago (or was it last season) renewing his contract? That was in the £30+m wasn't it? So either way, he should be included.

Its only taking in to consideration from the point Benitez joined the dippers. :D Compared to the cost of some, Ronaldo was a snip anyway....!

redrus

February 16th, 2009

Its only taking in to consideration from the point Benitez joined the dippers. :D Compared to the cost of some, Ronaldo was a snip anyway....!

redrus

Its a good thing you didn't post this on the LP thread - would have been followed by 3 pages of American ownership this and that. :D

Edited by bkkjames

February 16th, 2009

Yeah but the cost of player retention has to be taken into consideration, as if you had sold him, you would have had to spend to replace him. It doesn't matter that his initial cost was a snip, to keep him you have had to renew his contract at a cost of £30+m. And that is since Benetiz took over Liverpool. The point I'm trying to make is, the thing about facts and figures, is that they can be used in whatever way the writer wishes, to try and give credence to his/her view point. :D

Rooney returns for Manchester United

By Simon Stone- Indi; Tuesday, 17 February 2009

Wayne Rooney will return to the bench for Manchester United tomorrow as the Red Devils look to open up a five-point lead at the Barclays Premier League summit by beating Fulham at Old Trafford.

post-16343-1234882843_thumb.jpg

Rooney has missed seven games since limping out with a hamstring strain.

Sir Alex Ferguson opted to leave him out of the squad for Sunday's FA Cup trip to Derby, a decision that has proved to be a wise one.

It allowed Rooney to get an extra day's training under his belt that should ensure he plays some part against Roy Hodgson's men, even if Carlos Tevez and Dimitar Berbatov are expected to be handed the starting spots in attack.

"The plan is for Wayne Rooney to be involved tomorrow night and he will start on the bench," Ferguson told Key103.

"We have handled him in the right way.

"He is training now. His performances have been excellent and he is back to his best.

"The decision not to involve him on Sunday was a good one because he was able to train and that extra day has brought him on a lot."

Meanwhile, Fulham boss Roy Hodgson will give late fitness tests to Paul Konchesky and Andy Johnson ahead of tomorrow's visit to Old Trafford.

Both players have been struggling with muscle strains but will be given every chance to prove their fitness.

Dickson Etuhu is still out with the knee injury he sustained against Wigan, meaning on-loan Inter Milan midfielder Olivier Dacourt should continue in midfield.

Tuesday, 17 February 2009

Mind games ahoy-justoneofthoseteams.blogspot

The mind games are already in full bloom it seems. Ferguson has said that Darron Gibson has played his way into the Carling Cup Final team. Surely a wind up? He does realise that Spurs aren't quite as bad as Derby, yes?

Speaking of mind games, Rafa has once again felt the need to talk about us, despite being annoyed when Ferguson talks about them. Apparently we spend economy busting levels of cash on transfers, eclipsing their paltry yearly spend, making their relative position utterly astounding and proving that Señor Benitez is certainly the best manager ever to have graced our league with his presence. Either that or he's publicly airing his CV in a hope that a certain team from the Bernabeu (or the Nou Camp, as hilariously reported by the Daily Mail yesterday) will see that he is reluctant to sign a new contract at Anfield and he would appreciate a counter offer to force the Liverpool owners' hands. Either way, a quick look on http://transferleague.co.uk/ puts his arguments firmly to bed, even if those sites are afforded a little leeway on their guestimates of transfer figures.

Net spend is a common phrase you'll here coming from Liverpool fans. The basic premise behind this is that you're allowed to buy crud players if you subsequently make a profit or break even on that player. With that criterion, Dong was the best purchase of all time, given the influx of money it brought us from the 1.4 billion occupants of his native China.

February 17th, 2009

Gibson The New Keane? I Don’t Think So; republicofmancunia

post-16343-1234882863_thumb.jpg

Darron Gibson has certainly started to make a bit of a name for himself, getting his name on the scoresheet more often than not when he’s given an opportunity to play. The best of these was clearly his blinding shot against Peterborough in the pre-season, but his FA Cup goals against Southampton and Derby shouldn’t be scoffed at.

However, I’m not entirely sure the lad has got ‘it’, whatever ‘it’ is. He just doesn’t really look like a United player. He’s not some kid, he’s only a couple of years younger than Rooney, but he hasn’t seemed to develop at the rate some would like. Rodrigo Possebon has got it, no doubt, the da Silvas have got it, but there seems something kind of clumsy and slow about Gibson.

Some people have started to hail him as the next Roy Keane, which I think is pushing it. At Gibson’s age, Keane was just about to sign for United after receiving praise from all areas for his performances at Forest.

I have been told to give Gibson time with plenty of reds insisting he needs time. What I think is irrelevant though because if Fergie fancies him as someone to make it, he will keep playing him until he is good enough.

Thinking of this got me thinking of Darren Fletcher, a player I have slated for years until the past couple of seasons. Ferguson was determined to have his potential realised, so played him time and again, even when his form was dreadful. Despite being tipped as a big thing as a youngster, I didn’t think he had ‘it’ and Fergie drove me mad.

So I guess the jury is still out on Gibson, with Fletcher acting as his saving grace for now. But put it this way, I won’t be overly surprised if Gibson is sold for £2 million to a Championship side within the next couple of seasons!

redrus

Giuseppe Rossi Wasn't Patient Enough

Vitalfootball.co.uk

Two days ago Giuseppe Rossi revealed that he did not wish to come back to Old Trafford even though rumours were circulating about the possibility of that happening. Rossi joined United from Parma in 2004 and scored bucketloads of goals for the Reserves.

In the 2005/06 season he started to show his capabilities in the first team, too when he was given opportunities in mainly the Carling Cup and the FA Cup but he also played in the Premier League and the Champions League. He looked comfortable at the top level and his future at United seemed secure.

At the start of the next season he was somewhat surprisingly loaned out to Newcastle United where he was seldom used and on those rare occasions he was mainly deployed on the left wing which was quite unsuitable for him.

Rossi apparently feels that he did not get the chance he deserved. He told reporters exactly that at the weekend which seems to indicate that Fergie told us the truth about his sale: that it was the players' wish.

He was sold to Villarreal in the summer of 2007 to the surprise and regret of many Reds fans, myself included. To this day most of us would welcome him back with open arms, particularly seeing his success in Spain. But it increasingly looks like that a return would be in neither parties' interest. Rossi was not patient enough to wait for his chance at the age of 20; now, at the age of 22, he'd be even less likely to be philosophical about the necessity to fight for his place with seasoned internationals like Berbatov and Rooney.

Shame that but, if they don't wanna play for you, what can you do....! :o A rotating system is the only way teams can sustain season long challenges, he would not have played all the time anyway. Good luck Mr Rossi.

redrus

Vidic: Tonight's the night to increase pressure

By Soccernet staff

February 18, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

Nemanja Vidic feels Manchester United can land a major psychological blow by winning their game in hand against Fulham on Wednesday night but admits he barely has time to enjoy the success he has enjoyed at Old Trafford. "Psychologically it would be very good to win this game in hand," said Vidic, the bookies' favourite for this season's PFA Player of the Year Award.

"It will be difficult but we are determined to get the victory because when this match is over, we will have played the same number of games as everyone else.

"Most of the time we have been a few points behind but if we beat Fulham we will be in a very good position."

The match was originally due to be played last August but was postponed due to United's presence in the European Super Cup. United will find themselves five points clear should they beat the Cottagers yet Vidic says United players still shocked at how quickly they have gained the upper hand given their fears heading to Japan for the Club World Cup in December.

"Immediately before that tournament we drew with Tottenham and were thinking how the table would look when we got back," said Vidic.

"But no-one took advantage and this is a time of year when we have always done well, so once we started playing our matches again, we caught up pretty quickly."

"I have improved my abilities and I have been part of a team that has won trophies and become part of the history of the club," continued the 27-year-old.

"It was definitely a good choice to join United, not that I ever worried whether it would be. It is always nice to break records and win things but that is something I will enjoy more when I have finished playing.

"Then I want to be able to say I worked hard and won a lot of things. But for now, there is no time to enjoy the trophies. You just think about each game."

Vidic is among a clutch of senior players set to get their places back after Ferguson relied heavily on youth for the FA Cup triumph at Derby on Sunday.

Rio Ferdinand, Dimitar Berbatov, Michael Carrick and Carlos Tevez can all expect to be involved, along with goalkeeper Edwin Van der Sar.

Having now claimed English and British league records for the amount of time without conceding a goal, the Dutchman is now moving on to the European list.

It has been widely assumed Atletico Madrid's Abel Resino holds that mark with 1,275 minutes, 63 ahead of Van der Sar.

However, the record actually belongs to former Club Bruges stalwart Dany Verlinden, who reached 1,390 minutes in a 16-match run that spanned two seasons in 1990, meaning Van der Sar needs to keep out the Cottagers and Blackburn on Saturday to overhaul him.

^ Thanks for that Jockstar and, can you tell why derby fans have tagged the United thread, is that what was needed? I thought it was just tags relevant to the topic title....?

Fergie Is Still Not Convinced By Tevez

Vitalfootball.co.uk

Carlos Tevez has once again stressed that he would love to stay at Manchester United for years. The Argentinian striker is still only on loan at United but he's eager to get that permanent deal at Old Trafford.

'I have the head start in Manchester and my idea is to stay here for a few more years,' Tevez told Argentina's Radio del Plata. 'It is very difficult to leave one of the world's biggest clubs.

'We've had talks with Manchester, but nothing has been signed yet. Both sides have decided to wait for June to find a definitive solution. The conversations have been with the directors and not with Ferguson.'

Which, in my opinion, means that it is Sir Alex Ferguson who is still not convinced by Carlos Tevez's worth to the team. If the directors were given the go-ahead by Fergie they would surely negotiate a deal instead of making Tevez wait until June.

Of course there is an alternative explanation: that Fergie wants Tevez but the club is unwilling to commit the funds in the current uncertain economic climate, that's why Tevez will have to wait.

This explanation is less likely in the face of the results recently published which show that United's turnover has risen again and record annual profits are expected. I cannot really believe that Fergie would be turned down by the board if he gave his full backing to the transfer of Carlos Tevez.

Old Trafford's opinion on the subject is clear though: the fans want Ferguson and the board to complete the signing of Tevez. It's understandable that most of us feel this way: Tevez's commitment, passion and his personality makes him one of the most likeable footballers around. He scored important goals last season and now he's talking about how difficult it would be to leave United. How can you not love such a player?

But if Fergie indeed has reservations about Carlitos a very tiny part of me can't help but say that he's got a point. I'd love Carlos Tevez to stay at Old Trafford but I am not burdened with responsibility. Sir Alex must see that Carlos' first touch is not first-class by any means and his pace is way behind that of Ronaldo or even Rooney and he's not as intelligent on the field as Berbatov.

So yes, I see him as our third best striker behind Berbatov and Rooney. But with four trophies to play for, rotation, injuries and everything this should not be an issue because he's good enough to play at Old Trafford and he would love to do so. But there's a little problem here.

As I admitted, his attitude is first-class and he even accepts a role on the bench without moaning. Which is very good as he's, I repeat, inferior to Rooney and Berba in my eyes. The problem is that usually he cannot be anywhere near his best as a substitute. He's no Ole Solskjaer; he needs to know that his place in the team is secure in order to produce his best form. He's willing to die on the pitch for United - but on occasions a more relaxed attitude would be a lot more useful.

But I'm not Alex Ferguson, I do not have a responsibility, I am a fan, so: Fergie, sign him up!

February 18th, 2009, republicofmancunia

Berbatov: I NEED To Win The Title

Dimitar Berbatov has shown why we forked out the money we did in the summer by his top notch performances so far. His touch is fantastic and it is not surprise he has more assists to his name than any other player in the Premiership this season.

Today he has spoken out about his desperation to win the league after the majority of our players have enjoyed this feeling on at least two occasions.

“The players here who have already won it, need it again and again and again,” said Berbatov. “I have none of that. When I am here, it is like I need it - I want it. With the help of everybody, with the right amount of effort on the pitch and with the team we have, I am pretty sure we can win it again.”

So Carragher's proud to be second best to United....

- that's something for the Liverpool fans to shout about.....!

Last updated at 12:40 PM on 18th February 2009-Mail online

Jamie Carragher claims that overtaking Chelsea and Arsenal as Manchester United’s main rivals for the Barclays Premier League title should be seen as an achievement for Liverpool.

Yeah, right. You can just imagine the chant their fans will come up with to boast about that great landmark: ‘We. Are. Second best, said we are second best.’

Second place may represent progress, but after 19 years without a League title overtaking a couple of misfiring clubs might not quite ease the pain. And they have been the closest also rans twice before since being crown champions.

Carragher insists he has not given up on overtaking United (unlike Arsene Wenger, who has finally admitted what everyone else has known for many months, that Arsenal are out of the running), but the defender sounds remarkably like he is laying the groundwork for yet another year of failure.

Are United untouchable? Here's our prediction for the top five title run-in

By Tim Nichols- Mail online

Last updated at 12:44 PM on 18th February 2009

Arsene Wenger has conceded that the Barclays Premier League title will be heading back to Old Trafford for a third consecutive year.

Judging by Manchester United's scintillating form this season - and their rivals' inconsistency - few would disagree with Wenger. But how will the race for the lucrative Champions League places shape up?

Can Aston Villa hold on to third place or will Arsenal reel them in to claim a place in Europe's top competition for the 12th year in a row?

Will Guus Hiddink's presence at Stamford Bridge inspire Chelsea or will they miss out for the first time since Roman Abramovich rolled into town?

And can Liverpool hold on to second and ensure qualification for next season's Champions League?

Sportsmail have taken a shamelessly unscientific approach (guesswork) to try and predict what we can expect in the final weeks of the season.

By our reckoning, Liverpool will finish as runners-up behind United, Chelsea will sneak third while Arsenal and Villa will only be separated on goal difference.

In the unlikely event that our predictions become reality, we could be in for a cracking end to the season.

But what do you think?

MANCHESTER UNITED (currently on 56 points)

Feb 18 - Fulham (h)

Prediction - win

Feb 21 - Blackburn (h)

Prediction - draw

Mar 4 - Newcastle (a)

Prediction - win

Mar 14 - Liverpool (h)

Prediction - win

Mar 21 - Fulham (a)

Prediction - win

Apr 4 - Aston Villa (h)

Prediction - win

Apr 11 - Sunderland (a)

Prediction - draw

Apr 18 - Wigan (a)

Prediction - draw

Apr 25 - Tottenham (h)

Prediction - win

May 2 - Middlesbrough (a)

Prediction - draw

May 9 - Man City (h)

Prediction - win

May 16 - Arsenal (h)

Prediction - draw

May 24 - Hull (a)

Prediction - win

Predicted total - 85pts (Winners)

LIVERPOOL (54pts)

Feb 22 - Man City (h)

Prediction - draw

Feb 28 - Middlesbro' (a)

Prediction - win

Mar 3 - Sunderland (h)

Prediction - win

Mar 14 - Man United (a)

Prediction - lose

Mar 22 - Aston Villa (h)

Prediction - draw

Apr 4 - Fulham (a)

Prediction - draw

Apr 11 - Blackburn (h)

Prediction - win

Apr 18 - Arsenal (h)

Prediction - lose

Apr 25 - Hull (a)

Prediction - win

May 2 - Newcastle (h)

Prediction - win

May 9 - West Ham (a)

Prediction - draw

May 16 - West Brom (a)

Prediction - win

May 24 - Tottenham (h)

Prediction - win

Predicted total - 79pts (second)

ASTON VILLA (51pts)

Feb 21 - Chelsea (h)

Prediction - draw

Mar 1 - Stoke (h)

Prediction - win

Mar 4 - Man City (a)

Prediction - lose

Mar 15 - Tottenham (h)

Prediction - win

Mar 22 - Liverpool (a)

Prediction - draw

Apr 4 - Man United (a)

Prediction - lose

Apr 11 - Everton (h)

Prediction - win

Apr 18 - West Ham (h)

Prediction - win

Apr 25 - Bolton (a)

Prediction - draw

May 2 - Hull (h)

Prediction - win

May 9 - Fulham (a)

Prediction - draw

May 16 - Middlesbro' (a)

Prediction - lose

May 24 - Newcastle (h)

Prediction - win

Predicted total - 73 pts (fifth on goal difference)

CHELSEA (49pts)

Feb 21 - Aston Villa (a)

Prediction - draw

Feb 28 - Wigan (h)

Prediction - win

Mar 3 - Portsmouth (a)

Prediction - win

Mar 15 - Man City (h)

Prediction - draw

Mar 21 - Tottenham (a)

Prediction - draw

Apr 4 - Newcastle (a)

Prediction - win

Apr 11 - Bolton (h)

Prediction - win

Apr 18 - Everton (h)

Prediction - draw

Apr 25 - West Ham (a)

Prediction - win

May 2 - Fulham (h)

Prediction - win

May 9 - Arsenal (a)

Prediction - lose

May 16 - Blackburn (h)

Prediction - win

May 24 - Sunderland (a)

Prediction - draw

Predicted total - 75pts (third)

ARSENAL (44pts)

Feb 21 - Sunderland (h)

Prediction - win

Feb 28 - Fulham (h)

Prediction - win

Mar 3 - West Brom (a)

Prediction - draw

Mar 14 - Blackburn (h)

Prediction - win

Mar 21 - Newcastle (a)

Prediction - win

Apr 4 - Man City (h)

Prediction - draw

Apr 11 - Wigan (a)

Prediction - draw

Apr 18 - Liverpool (a)

Prediction - win

Apr 25 - Middlesbro' (h)

Prediction - win

May 2 - Portsmouth (a)

Prediction - draw

May 9 - Chelsea (h)

Prediction - win

May 16 - Man United (a)

Prediction - draw

May 24 - Stoke (h)

Prediction - win

Predicted total - 73pts (fourth on goal difference)

redrus