Teaching Uni Students A Lesson

Tywais

Since classes started at CMU the main entrance off Suthep road has cones set up on the exit lanes dividing them. Just next to the cones is a tent set up and a couple of BIB there most of the day. Any students leaving that exit without helmets are ushered over to the side of the road and written up. Pretty good income as there are a lot being pulled over. wink.png

Not sure about the other main entrance on Huay Kaew road.

Hard work, all that sitting in a tent.

Is it just the girls being pulled over?biggrin.png

Seemed pretty much coed. If only girls, wonder if they accept volunteers. laugh.png Actually every time I've seen them they've been standing at the ends of the cones in the middle of the two lane exit waving cars by on the right and offenders to the left. Tent maybe for the occasional sohm tahm or sitting the students down for a 'talking to'. wink.png

Now, with just a teeny bit of imagination they could extend this worthy idea to check that lights are working so that less people get knocked off their bikes to be saved by the helmets they are "forced" to wear.

Would be a good policy to do this at the schools too. I see kids riding Phantoms and quite big bikes these days - often without helmets as well.

Sounds to me the police are finally being smart at those gates (I have never seen a policeman at a university entrance until this year!), and I hope they are there with CMU backing. Part of the orientation at the beginning of the school year --- and throughout the year --- should be about buckled helmets. Not just for the driver, but also for passengers. And sidesaddle passengers should also be sent back to their dormitories, as well, for more appropriate safe attire than short, short skirts. If you've known people with brain injuries and deaths due to head injury from motorcycle accidents like I have you might be more of a believer in the sanity of simple preventative measures. This is not something to be pleasantly cynical about.

re .

This can only be a good thing.

Good for the safety of the Uni kids and if it costs them for disregarding they`re own safety and contravening the law, than hopefully that will be a lesson well learnt.

very true !... but i doubt it : (

dave2

post-42592-0-97006400-1339117297_thumb.j

This early afternoon on my way back home through my village, I saw this young foreign woman on the motorbike. Baby in harness on her chest and gorgeous little 3 or 4 year old, standing! in front of her. None of them were wearing a helmet.

"It was only around the corner" (I have the feeling she is living close by) and "I drove very slow and careful (which she did)", has killed already enough people, methinks.

There's a Dutch saying: "een ongelukje ligt in a klein hoekje", translated as 'an accident lies in a small corner'. Bet there is a proper English saying for that.