Bangkok Taxi Drivers Beat Down Camera-Wielding Commuter

webfact

Makkasan Melee: Taxi mob beat down camera-wielding commuter

m1.jpeg

m2.jpg

One man learned the hard way to beware of illegal taxis at Makkasan Station. Photos: Coconuts Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- A Thai man was severely beaten up by taxi drivers at Bangkok’s Makkasan Airport Link station when he took photos of a driver who refused to take him to his destination, according to a post on web forum Pantip.com and TV reports.

The man arrived at Makkasan Station and tried to hop in one of the seven taxis waiting out on the street – when the taxi refused to take him he snapped two photos from his mobile phone.

The driver then attacked him with the help of two fellow cabbies. The victim fought back, but his shoulder was dislocated from the beating.

A motorcycle patrol officer stopped and broke up the fight even though it was not in his jurisdiction. Police from Din Daeng station later came and filed a report for assault with the main taxi driver, but no charges were brought against the other two drivers who assisted in the beating.

Full story and video: http://www.coconutsb...lding-commuter/

-- COCONUTSBangkok 2012-06-08

footer_n.gif

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it against the law in Bangkok to refuse a fair? Not sure how this incident makes the taxi an illegal one .. only would seem to indicate a violent taxi driver.

Here we go again, another story including taxi drivers.

I am positive if the authorities wanted to break down this mob rule they would be able to do it. How many more cases have to happen to make the authorities act upon them?

'but no charges were brought against the other two drivers who assisted in the beating.' ?????????????????????

Is it written in Thai law that you are allowed to assist in beating someone up?!?! It seems pack mentality and cowardice are permitted here!

Yes, it is really appalling.

A female, Thai colleague of mine recently was told to get out of the taxi because the driver didn't want to wait any longer in the traffic jam. After she took a photo of the taxi numer plate (the one on the inside of the door) the taxi driver jumped out of the car and chased her up the road shouting and waving his fist at her.

Isn't there any central body supervising/controlling taxis and taxi drivers?

I've been very fortunate until now and haven't had any problems with any of them, but assaulting someone for taking a photo is taking it a bit too far.

Is it against the law in Bangkok to refuse a fair?

There's a recent thread on here that provides a link to the Thai traffic laws. I seem to remember reading that it is illegal for a taxi driver to refuse a fare.

I'd dig it out, but you're just as capable of using the search function as I am.

There's a recent thread on here that provides a link to the Thai traffic laws. I seem to remember reading that it is illegal for a taxi driver to refuse a fare.

I'd dig it out, but you're just as capable of using the search function as I am.

As far as I am aware it not against the law here though I know it is in some locations and remember them passing a law a number of years ago in NY that calls for a fine but they still refuse to take people where they don't want to go ... not like they can get a ticket unless a cop witnesses the refusal.

Basically another facet of this corrupt immature ball lacking nation. Amazed the cop even did that unless he thought there was a bung in it for him (most likely from the other two that were let off). Spineless cheating bunch of a-holes which is not so bad as it makes meeting a decent Thai chap all the more refreshing; rarity that that is

Edited by Pseudolus

Is it against the law in Bangkok to refuse a fair? Not sure how this incident makes the taxi an illegal one .. only would seem to indicate a violent taxi driver.

Do you think the fare was fair?

Mai pai!

This is the common sentence from many taxis every night. Some other don't even bother to stop. And this applies equally for farangs and thais.

I wonder why this strong disapproval is coming? What is this derogatory manner? Why don't they need money?

I am positive if the authorities wanted to break down this mob rule they would be able to do it. How many more cases have to happen to make the authorities act upon them?

the worst taxi mafias are the ones in sukhumvit soi 11....Why do they go so un-noticed??

In many areas, like soi 11, the drivers have already paid "fines" in advance, in order to break the laws they break.

As far as I am aware it not against the law here though I know it is in some locations and remember them passing a law a number of years ago in NY that calls for a fine but they still refuse to take people where they don't want to go ... not like they can get a ticket unless a cop witnesses the refusal.

I downloaded the file of traffic laws for future reference, so i'll quote from that:

Section 93 (1000b)

A driver of a taxi shall not refuse to accept employment to convey passengers, except when such conveyance is likely to cause danger to himself or the passengers.

I think the only other circumstances that drivers can also refuse a fare is if it close to the shift change time (usually between 3-4pm and 3-4am) if your destination is not proximate to where they need to return the taxi for the next driver.

The taxi complaint line 1584 (Note: need to double check that number) actually has a current campaign to report drivers who refuse to take pax to their requested destination. You can also call the taxi company and make a complaint.

Complaint for drivers who refuse to turn on the meter or who use a different setting on the meter are taken very seriously once the complaint is recorded. (most of the older taxis have this ability as there was previously a consideration to have a night time rate - the bottom right button is pressed numerous times. Use the 555 rule if unsure - at 5km your fare should be about 55 baht if you haven't incurred waiting charges). Another reason I always take a new taxi.

Most drivers think they can get away with it when dealing with non-thais but if you display some knowledge of requirements in a firm and polite manner they usually comply. It is all about how you handle it. If not, as many have said, it is rare to be wanting for a taxi in this city.

I downloaded the file of traffic laws for future reference, so i'll quote from that:

Section 93 (1000b)

A driver of a taxi shall not refuse to accept employment to convey passengers, except when such conveyance is likely to cause danger to himself or the passengers.

I think the only other circumstances that drivers can also refuse a fare is if it close to the shift change time (usually between 3-4pm and 3-4am) if your destination is not proximate to where they need to return the taxi for the next driver.

The taxi complaint line 1584 (Note: need to double check that number) actually has a current campaign to report drivers who refuse to take pax to their requested destination. You can also call the taxi company and make a complaint.

Complaint for drivers who refuse to turn on the meter or who use a different setting on the meter are taken very seriously once the complaint is recorded. (most of the older taxis have this ability as there was previously a consideration to have a night time rate - the bottom right button is pressed numerous times. Use the 555 rule if unsure - at 5km your fare should be about 55 baht if you haven't incurred waiting charges). Another reason I always take a new taxi.

Most drivers think they can get away with it when dealing with non-thais but if you display some knowledge of requirements in a firm and polite manner they usually comply. It is all about how you handle it. If not, as many have said, it is rare to be wanting for a taxi in this city.

Thanks, you learn something new every day. However, I don't believe at all it is a farang vs. Thai thing. If they don't want to go somewhere they just say no, regardless of nationality. It is why you almost always see a conversation occur before anyone gets in a Taxi.

the worst taxi mafias are the ones in sukhumvit soi 11....Why do they go so un-noticed??

In many areas, like soi 11, the drivers have already paid "fines" in advance, in order to break the laws they break.

Soi 11 is a mess traffic wise and worse since two new condos open, it will only get worse once other condos are built in adjacent sois. It should be made a one way street to improve traffic flow but that is another issue...

If you are referring to why is it almost impossible to get a taxi after 11pm-12am in soi 11 the reason is simple. Drivers line up in a long line and wait for anyone who wishes to go to a nightclub where they get a commission for bringing customers.

As an example, at the cesspool that is Climax they reportedly get 200 baht and at Insomnia they get anywhere between 300 baht for 1 pax to 800baht for 4 pax. Other clubs also pay. If you are paying to go to these two sordid clubs then you are stupid - doubly stupid to Insomnia as you can get in for free but go in a taxi and you pay the entrance fee of, you guessed it 300 baht!. (In fact, drivers will probably offer you money to take you and friends to Insomnia). The established set up is so surreal that drivers sit outside the front of Insomnia offering to take people for free 100m to the rear entrance!

Now if taxi driver Somchai is paying 700 baht hire a night for an older taxi, or 1200 baht hire for a new one, the incentive to get 2-3 commissions a night is compulsive. Somchai can basically make what he needs to earn over a 12hr shift in 2-4 hrs with a few trips. I don't even try to get a taxi on soi 11 late at night anymore.