Does One Need A Work Permit For Home English Tutoring?

psmiller

If you are receiving any money then you are working, all work requires a WP.

However, in a small village where everyone knows everyone nothing is usually said, unless someone gets jealous and reports you.

However, in a small village where everyone knows everyone nothing is usually said, unless someone gets jealous and reports you.

Thank you Beano I always fear the jealousy factor even though I am the only foreigner for miles. Even the Arbator (local Council) head asked me.

Actually, whether or not you are receiving money, if you perform ANY work, you technically need a work permit. Just ask the foreign tsunami cleanup volunteers, or the kids who got pinched in Chiang Mai for playing at an open-mic night in a local club.

Just to add a bit to what 'beano2274' said "If you are receiving any money then you are working, all work requires a WP"

Volunteers require work permits as well. You CAN NOT teach legally without a work permit.

Also, as far as jealous reporters, this doesn't mean foreigners, it includes people jealous of your partner as well.

Thank you Beano I always fear the jealousy factor even though I am the only foreigner for miles. Even the Arbator (local Council) head asked me.

If you are receiving any money then you are working, all work requires a WP. However, in a small village where everyone knows everyone nothing is usually said, unless someone gets jealous and reports you.
Actually, whether or not you are receiving money, if you perform ANY work, you technically need a work permit. Just ask the foreign tsunami cleanup volunteers, or the kids who got pinched in Chiang Mai for playing at an open-mic night in a local club.

What happened to the Kids and the Tsunami volunteers?

Several clubs in Chiang Mai holding open-mic nights (people getting on stage and performing for free) were raided, and the performers detained for working without a permit. And volunteers in Phuket in 2004 were advised that they could no longer help without work permits (which would be impossible to get, unless sponsored by a Thai company), or face prosecution. A prime example of Thailand cutting its nose to spite its face.

Don't bother.

And volunteers in Phuket in 2004 were advised that they could no longer help without work permits (which would be impossible to get, unless sponsored by a Thai company), or face prosecution.

That is just sad.

I wonder what sort of working visa you need to stop to help a little old lady who has slipped over.

And volunteers in Phuket in 2004 were advised that they could no longer help without work permits (which would be impossible to get, unless sponsored by a Thai company), or face prosecution.

That is just sad.

I wonder what sort of working visa you need to stop to help a little old lady who has slipped over.

Or to mow your own lawn or take your rubbish out and on and on and on.

It's illegal technically yes. However, if this is a short term, one-off, low-revenue tutoring deal, most of the public, (not the labor dept)will consider it a generally harmless crime. Use your own discretion. I wonder what would be more risky? workpermitless tutoring in a village or in a big city? I could see more visibility risk in a village...

My feeling regarding the work permit and tutoring issue is mixed; i know several good people who gave some interview practice/conversational english practice to some Thai friends and admittedly received some kind of payment. do i blame them? no. The Thais couldnt afford professional help and didn't have time to seek out a workpermitted tutor, so they asked my friend who was staying here on a 2 month business retreat.

On the flip side; I lose my sympathy for non workpermitted tutors when they start making a business out of it or actively seek students. we are guests (generally) and should make efforts not to break thai laws, especially those work-related as it will result in stricter wp regulation. It takes away business (sometimes)from those who did get work permits and went through the extra loops to do it legally.