Whats Your Plans Or Dreams?

ill start it off,

as the people who know me know that i still go to work now and again, im not in the possition to just stop working at the moment,

but my dreams are simple, i cant see me being happy anywere else but here, might sound soft but i love it here, love my wife with all my heart,

if we can keep the pig farm going, well be ok, its hard work with the pigs but just being together with my wife and doing this together will make it all worth while,

in 5 or 6 years time ill say thats enough going to work in england or anywere else for that matter, and ill just be on the farm making our dream come true,

i suppose what im trying to say im happiest when im in thailand with my wife and family, and when our baby is born in sept things will be perfect,

some might say im just being soft, well you think that, this is how i feel,

my dream is here in thailand with my wife baby and working on our farm together,

whats your boys???

• Like 1

thank you just seams for the first time in my life ive got goals to go for,

yes was married in england with 2 beautiful kids now grown well 15,19, and i do have a lot to do with them,

but its differant here, yes i work hard on the farm, with the pigs ,chickens, fish, fruit trees ect, but i wouldnt change my life now, i just wish i had found my life here 25years ago, wouldnt of waisted so much money,,lol

im in scotland at the moment, but i look at it now as just going for goals, our future

hi jim, interesting reading, ive just got thing to say, its the mother who is boss in my family, my wifes father is so lazy, everbody knows he is, i have mama working with us, she gets 10% of what we get and she is happy with that, like i say im in scotland at the moment working for our dream, but my wife and her mum are very happy taking care of the pigs ect, and to be honest they dont have anything to worry about, but thats my life ive picked it,

i do believe ill get there, i still can earn a very good wage, im only a welding supervisor, but i work all over the world, so ill only need to do this for another few years, then ill be there full time, i only worked for 10 weeks last year in scotland, i was on our farm the rest of the time, and we can make it work, my wife and mum are making it work while im here, i trust them both, that why i dont have father there, i dont trust him, he knows that mama knows i dont,

right jim thats my rant over lol, i suppose at the moment im still very lucky as i can come over here see my kids, see my freinds and family and go home with a couple of million bht,

jake

Hey Jake,

Hold onto the dream. I have meet so many people that simply threw their dreams away. Guys that really thought they had found Utopia without cost. Found a mouldable haven where they very want would be done for a few baht. Your immediate future is great, new child in a few months. What's really important? You have it already, how well you can build on it is as the Thais say, "Up to you."

I'm a crotchety old fart and have been here upcountry with my Thai wife for about seven years. I have bought her two ten rai farms for her future. After putting up with me for all these years, she has earned what I have bought for her. Being a conservative type who has paid my dues over the years, I still have a condo in my name in Jomtien. If worse comes to worse I will still have a roof over my head and won't miss any meals. My dreams are to live out my remaining years without my hassle and die right here.

Edited by Gary A
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Luvved in holland with my thai wife for 11 years. I was a manager at a multinational and she earned a lot as well. Got made redundant and moved to thailand. Now i am a pig farmer, have to struggle for every bath. But I am 300 % moete happy, bloodpressure is down and just feel great. Don't think too long, ,just do it!

Sent from my GT-S6102 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

Think I've told this story before but it is worth repeating in this context. When the day came to start a new life farming here I spoke to a Thai friend whose advise was to do as many things as possible as none will make you rich but the aggregate may make you comfortable.

To date we are neither rich or comfortable and are working very hard. As the range of things we do expands, so does the workload. But the integrated farm dream inches closer. Our markets are expanding as is the product range. External costs are diminishing slowly. The next few months will see our largest potential steps forward as feed, fuel and fertilisers start up in earnest. As always a lottery win would make life so much easier.

hi jubby,

thats the thing i suppose, its not just our dream, im lucky that my wife like to be growing things, she allready told me to bring some more seeds back from the uk,

i must admit im think im a very lucky man to of found my wife,

i may sound soft but god do we laugh together, when im home, were laughing every day, we was working hard before i camt to uk to work a little, i built 70% of our house all our pig stys, my father was a builder, but laugh, even when were tired we laugh,

i think this country is like any other when your happy your happy, but here you have a beautiful wife to make you happy,the weather, i nice patch of farmland, and being able to work from home as such, so all together a better im not going to say standerd of life, even though i just did,,lol,,

but you must understand its just a feeling from inside, a feeling of contempment, well thats how i feel anyway,

see im not good with words,

like some know i still go to work now and again and cant be at home for 3 or 4 months like now, but the way i look at this, is this will help our future in the long run, and just make it a bit more secure for us, and with a little one due in sept, the future is looking great,

so dont give up on your dream, go and chase it

there ends the sermon for this morning,,lol,whistling.gif

I understand completely and you've put it in words quite beautifully. Its nice to see the two of you working together towards the same Goal. thumbsup.gif

I guess I'm just pointing out how important it is to have the same dreams wink.png

Edited by jubby

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I'd need a BIG crowbar to pry my wife away from the farms. She is simply a country farm girl who doesn't own any makeup, not even a tube of lipstick and doesn't own a dress. At 45 years old, she is trim and fit. She does fill out her jeans quite well.

She has no problem with liking fancy restaurants or my uniform of the day which is shorts, a T shirt and flip flops. During planting times and harvesting, she normally tells me that I should take a road trip because she has no time to take proper care of me. Tomorrow morning I am off to Jomtien to visit friends and do a little work in my condo. Her friends think she is crazy for letting me go alone. She tells them that I know where home is and that I'll come back when I'm ready.

"She tells them that I know where home is and that I'll come back when I'm ready."

The other way of viewing your post is that she has everything she wants and she is not bothered if/when you come back or not.

Like pigeonjake above my wife and I laugh everyday but no way would she be happy me going off alone. (especially to Pattaya) We are together 24 hours, 7days etc for the last 14 years and still enjoy each others company.

When it is planting or harvest time, she leaves early in the morning after cooking me something and leaving it in the microwave. She comes home at dark usually all muddy with her little butt dragging. She doesn't have to actively farm but she tells me that it is her duty and she refuses to quit.

To answer your question, she is quite independent and could indeed get along without me. Truthfully, there is no way I could handle a clinging vine type of woman. I have had a number of relationships killed by jealousy on the woman's part. When I get back home, the only thing she asks me is if I had a good time. I'm always happy to be back at home.

• 2 months later...

I am new to all this as I have only been living here for 2 months but after several trips here I can honestly say I love it. I have a fantatsic wife that works as a manager in a shipping office and she is always trying to help me with what I do. We have leased a small block of land and I am growing various vegetable but my main reason for growing is frangipani(plumeria). I developed my cross pollinatinmethods as well as seed raising methods in Australia over several years and have already developed some unique colours but I am hoping to go way over that here as it only takes 12 months here to do what takes 3 years in Australia.

Hopefully in another 12 months I will be getting some return on what I am doing but I just enjoy growing things and frangipani are what I specialize in. Still working out what fertilizers to use over here as they are all different and also what bug sprays to use, like to go organic wherever possible.

Its good to see others enjoying it here as much as I do, I dont think I have ever felt so relaxed and just love doing my thing with the plants.

Dennis

some of our dreams just need a helping hand and my god a lot of luck,

but we are most of us westerners and i would think most of us if not all of us have been down hard rows before, i no i have with a very bitter divorce in the uk and loosing all i had worked for

but its that spirit that will make us try hard here, well it is for me, i wouldnt be able to aford what ive got here, but thats not it all, ive got the way of life that goes with it, all the fresh air i need and all the love that a women can give,

to me you cant put a price on what we have here,

if like me you only have 2 rai or you have 100 rai make the most of your happiness

jake

Wow its great to hear all your replies.I have been in Thailand 5 years and retired long ago and now on retirement visa. Got married 2yrs ago to a village lady and we are so happy together both being country types .She has a part of the farm---12rai---left to her when parents died and the 12rai was her share.I was excited about working on the farm and helping the rest of the family with theirs.NOW------- As I have a retirement visa,and being a farang I have been told that I am to have nothing to do with agriculture in Thailand and cannot do any sort of work on the farm------- even my wifes where i am not working for money just for the love and personal living off the land,yet here i am reading about all you lucky buggers enjoying the life that I crave.OK please tell me I am wrong---PLEASE------ Dougal

Wow its great to hear all your replies.I have been in Thailand 5 years and retired long ago and now on retirement visa. Got married 2yrs ago to a village lady and we are so happy together both being country types .She has a part of the farm---12rai---left to her when parents died and the 12rai was her share.I was excited about working on the farm and helping the rest of the family with theirs.NOW------- As I have a retirement visa,and being a farang I have been told that I am to have nothing to do with agriculture in Thailand and cannot do any sort of work on the farm------- even my wifes where i am not working for money just for the love and personal living off the land,yet here i am reading about all you lucky buggers enjoying the life that I crave.OK please tell me I am wrong---PLEASE------ Dougal

that's the law you can not work on the farm.

My dream for the moment is to find a real long handled shovel that doesn't bend like plastic when you stand on it. Been planting coconut for 3 days and digging with those little spades Thais use and it is killing me. Jim

hi dougal,

welcome to the farming forum,

we dont work i just help my wife you can do that my freind, if you have a tractor and are doing your land, so what, just do it, i help my wife feed the pigs, and i plant trees, thats gardening,

you enjoy it mate, like we all do, hard work but gtreat fun

jake

hi dougal,

we dont work i just help my wife you can do that my freind, if you have a tractor and are doing your land, so what, just do it, i help my wife feed the pigs, and i plant trees, thats gardening,

jake

Thanks mate--it sounds good but I work all the time looking over my shoulder for the police to turn up with their handcuffs and thats me finished. Doesnt anybody else worry about this or am I being paranoid

hi dougal,

jake

Thanks mate--it sounds good but I work all the time looking over my shoulder for the police to turn up with their handcuffs and thats me finished. Doesnt anybody else worry about this or am I being paranoid

It's not the police you have to worry about, but the labor department. Royal Thai Immigration Poliice are there for for illegal entry or expired visa. Depending where you are, Pattayya.Phuket, Samui or BKK different story. Back blocks of Issan no one is looking. Jim

that's the law you can not work on the farm.

My dream for the moment is to find a real long handled shovel that doesn't bend like plastic when you stand on it. Been planting coconut for 3 days and digging with those little spades Thais use and it is killing me. Jim

555 I am on my second one of those tin can shovels..good for shoveling that is all. Had a fork that turned into a pretzel first time I used it. Now have a welded steel handled hole digger type spade which is what I use for all the bloody holes I am forever digging. Got used to it now,dig dig then hands and knees to take out the dirt. Actually it works out good as always sandstone rocks.

Thought about getting a local welder/ tool maker to knock up a wider version.

Still get through mattock handles like crazy wife says "I do it too strong" that's why they break....hmmm She also says that is why the starting gear on my brush cutter keeps disintegrating.

So not to completely hijack the thread ....plans? Well since I never really planned to be here....keep waking up in the morning or as AA says.."one day at a time"..ditched the Daytimer mentality long ago..bah.gif Would not change the life here..bit late for that anyways....

Well since I never really planned to be here....keep waking up in the morning or as AA says.."one day at a time"..ditched the Daytimer mentality long ago..bah.gif Would not change the life here..bit late for that anyways....

Ain't that the truth. Experience has taught me to plan on only what you can do yourself if it needs to be done now, quickly, properly or even at all. Then you have to double the time that will take because of all the "normal disasters" that make living in Isaan so enjoyable. Especially trying to find my own gear after someone else has used it. A place for everything and all that? Yeah, right! What, me want to change things here? Not any more, had that ground out of me.

just get on with it mate,

were are you anyway for that matter,

We are living in a falang village in Udon Thani----all mod cons ---at the moment but am building a modest place to sleep on farm about 10k outside of Udon on the Nong han road and travelling the 10k on a daily basis. As a matter of interest how does the Labour Dept get involved. I can understand the police as i have been told to be good terms with the neighbours as if they get upset it is easy for them to call lut the police and then the trouble starts,but does the labour dept have ways to investigate or what. Sorry if this is sounding all a bit negative but it is something that I really want to do and I want to do it right first time----if there is such a thing-----thanks for sticking with me -----Dougal