Motorcycle Purchase

Plan to purchase a Honda automatic of some type but currently not sure if it will be resale or a new one. I've noticed a few Honda Wave 110i AT's (full automatic) around and was wondering if anyone rides one of these or knows anything about their durability? Do not appear to have been massed produced because not many on the road and perhaps no longer produced.

I considered purchasing regular Wave but after using automatic scooters for several years I prefer to stick with auto but I miss having foot pegs instead of floor boards. The Wave 110i AT offers what I want if still available new or used.

They are still around, but never sold very well which is why you don't see many on the road. Most of our customers who want an automatic seem to choose the Click or Scoopy. You can expect the same durability and reliabilty as the manual Waves though. Best of Luck.

Brian

Had the Wave 110i AT, great little bike. Does about 95 kph with the throttle pinned and i would do that for 10 kms or so into town without any problems. The good thing about the Wave AT compared to the Click, Scoopy, Mio etc is that it has 17" wheels and feels a bit more stiffer chassis wise; don't know if that is fact or just my own perception. The AT like any Wave seems to be just about bullet proof.

The Suzuki Hayate is also worth a look at if you want to spend a bit more (compared to a new Wave AT). An auto bike is perfect around town but they die on anything more than a mild incline.

Thanks for the feedback to those that responded.

Picked up a Wave auto yesterday and its sure nice to ride something that feels like a motorcycle again. It doesn't have the acceleration of the new Scoopy I most recently was riding but its okay. The Wave frame is definitely stiffer than Scoopy in my opinion. I also notice very little difference in ride with second person on board when compared to Scoopy. Now to see how it does on fuel when riding around Pattaya.

I'm not as young as I once was and for that reason I prefer the scooters. I feel much safer having my feet in front of me and if I have the bad luck to be hit, at least my leg will not be between the frame and whatever hits me. I must admit that I still look for the foot pegs when I get on it. Having had motorcycles all my life, I also miss the clutch and shifting gears.

As far as a particular brand, the Japanese names are all good and you can be safe buying whichever one you like the best. I now have an Elegance and my wife has a Suzuki. We have also had Honda and Kawasaki and had no problem with any of them. Some have little quirks such as the Honda Wave my wife had. It was terribly cold blooded and needed time to warm up to avoid stalling and spitting. The dealer said that was normal and that they could do nothing for it. The Suzuki starts on the first kick and runs smoothly.

ADDED - I think the new fuel injected models eliminate any cold blooded tendencies.

Edited by Gary A

Wife is wanting an Auto bike, Has a wave now. I like the idea of another wave for her. Can have the grocery basket where many scooters can not. The Wave AT is rated at 50 kpl. Let us know how yours does.

JM the first measurement was slightly over 47 km a liter. Need four or five more measurements before I have a good reliable number.

Are they still making the Wave AT then? Do they do a 125cc version?

My girlfriend's bike needs replacing soon (Honda Icon - great for a petite girl, but not for my big ass) and its the only small bike in the house so I find myself riding it sometimes. I hate it and want something with larger wheels. Anything semi-automatic is out of the question as I can't get used to the different direction shifting gears of my clutch bike. For me, the Hayate or Elegance would be fine, but she only likes Hondas which means buying a PCX to get the bigger wheels. Problem is she won't be willing to shell out 80k on a bike, and neither will I.

So a 125cc honda Wave AT would work out nice. At risk of hijacking the thread, any other suggestions?

Are they still making the Wave AT then? Do they do a 125cc version?

My girlfriend's bike needs replacing soon (Honda Icon - great for a petite girl, but not for my big ass) and its the only small bike in the house so I find myself riding it sometimes. I hate it and want something with larger wheels. Anything semi-automatic is out of the question as I can't get used to the different direction shifting gears of my clutch bike. For me, the Hayate or Elegance would be fine, but she only likes Hondas which means buying a PCX to get the bigger wheels. Problem is she won't be willing to shell out 80k on a bike, and neither will I.

So a 125cc honda Wave AT would work out nice. At risk of hijacking the thread, any other suggestions?

unfortunately no Wave 125 AT. Brian mentioned in his Sumet Cycle thread that there is a Honda dealer's meeting in July and 3 new models will be announced. Usually new model means new colours or stickers, but maybe you might get lucky!

The 110AT goes fine, fast enough around town and usually beats most things off the lights (beats the ones that aren't trying and the ones that have slow reactions; which is about 90%!).