Its time to renew my computer.

Any idea/advise what i should be looking to buy? Hardware/software/price

What i use it for is

General surfing on net reading emails etc

Word/Excel Docs

Downloading Torrents and Watching Movies

Thanks

anything with a big screen will be good for those purposes

dont bother spending too much on the fastest CPU or graphics because for your purposes ,you wont know the differnce

big HDD is desirable but external ones are so cheap ,you can buy those if and when u need them

Just replaced my desk top. 500GB and 2G of ram. Intel stuff and latest celeron, Hitachi hard drive. Of course it has a copy of Windows, which most have sad.png . One year guarantee, 7990 bht. Already have a 21" LG flat monitor. Loads of installed stuff and does the job. smile.png

Did a trip to KL a month or so ago 400 baht each way plus tax about 2000 baht,knew what I was about,....went to the Low Fay computer mall,top floor ,bought a Acer 4 gig ,fastest processor,usb s galore mini tower. Put it into my flight bag,no problems,cost about 12000 baht,much more in BKK

Get the fastest processor,uf you do Piratebay or other torrent sites ,it makes a big difference

Did a trip to KL a month or so ago 400 baht each way plus tax about 2000 baht,knew what I was about,....went to the Low Fay computer mall,top floor ,bought a Acer 4 gig ,fastest processor,usb s galore mini tower. Put it into my flight bag,no problems,cost about 12000 baht,much more in BKK

Get the fastest processor,uf you do Piratebay or other torrent sites ,it makes a big difference

Its Low Yat @ Jalan Bukit Bintang , KL.

I am running Core i7 with 8Gb of memory and a 1Tb disk

doing just the tasks you mention.

The processor is great when I need to process torrents into a different

format, and the disk gives plenty of space.

I need new computer too. I noted electrical goods seem almost as expensive as in the West, if not moreso. Is is better to buy a new one in Europe and bring it into Thailand with you. I assume there's no import duty to pay if if over your shoulder in daily use? Anyone

I need new computer too. I noted electrical goods seem almost as expensive as in the West, if not moreso. Is is better to buy a new one in Europe and bring it into Thailand with you. I assume there's no import duty to pay if if over your shoulder in daily use? Anyone

I think if it shows a bit of usage they wouldn't be bothered but what if it's a desktop ?? How can they tell ? But then again would you be able to carry that one over your shoulder ?? biggrin.png

Don't waste a lot of money on the latest and greatest. I was using a duo core CPU with 4 GB of RAM with 32 bit Windows 7 Pro. My wife now uses it to play games and study English. I got a new nearly latest and greatest, quad core CPU with 8 GB of Ram and 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate. For the way I use it, the difference is hardly noticeable. It was really a waste of money.

You can buy a decent system for 10,000 to 15,000 baht. I bought my latest from;

http://www.invadeit.co.th/category/desktop-pcs/

These guys speak English, offer great service and answer any questions you may have,

I am running Core i7 with 8Gb of memory and a 1Tb disk

doing just the tasks you mention.

The processor is great when I need to process torrents into a different

format, and the disk gives plenty of space.

so is my AMD 8 core with 32Gb Mem

First look at the tasks you do

if word processing pretty basic

if Photoprocessing a fair bit faster....say a dual core with 8Gb

if Video processing a lot faster and as much memory as you can afford.

look at what you need and buy at least 50 % better.

Spend big on the monitor...you will be looking at it a lot and the clearer and sharper it is the better.

CPU does not make any difference for piratebay...maybe with exception if it is a Pentium 1 or something extreme old.....

Are the notebooks in KL in English with an English only keyboard?

Just replaced my desk top. 500GB and 2G of ram. Intel stuff and latest celeron, Hitachi hard drive. Of course it has a copy of Windows, which most have sad.png . One year guarantee, 7990 bht. Already have a 21" LG flat monitor. Loads of installed stuff and does the job. smile.png

For your purposes (email, movies, downloading torrents, word) any new notebook or desktop will do. In fact, processor wise, anything made within the last 5 years will do. Recommend at least 2gb RAM and 500gb drive if you plan on storing movies, though you can always get an external drive later for this purpose. Also, if you go with a notebook and happen to already have an LCD TV, make sure it's one with video out so you can watch your movies on big screen.

LENOVO consistently makes a good product. They have a wide range of laptops available from inexpensive consumer models to high end business machines. Good prices for these computers are available not only at tech malls such as Pantip Plaza and Fortune Tower, but also at BIG-C and POWER BUY.

For your purposes (email, movies, downloading torrents, word) any new notebook or desktop will do. In fact, processor wise, anything made within the last 5 years will do. Recommend at least 2gb RAM and 500gb drive if you plan on storing movies, though you can always get an external drive later for this purpose. Also, if you go with a notebook and happen to already have an LCD TV, make sure it's one with video out so you can watch your movies on big screen.

I agree here. Pretty much anything made within the past 5 years or so will work for non heavy duty (video editing, photo editing) work. I just replaced my 4 year old sony vaio laptop (intel core 2 duo) with an acer aspire one 722 netbook with an AMD c-50 processor that is actually slower than then the intel core 2 duo. It still works for what I need it to do (word processing, internet browsing, utorrent downloading) and have not had a problem with it (even though the chip is slower than a 4 year old computer). Keep in mind that there are other things that affect performance other than the speed of the chip especially RAM. I put 8gigs Ram into mine and it makes the acer (with a slower chip) faster than the vaio.

The only thing I would stress is that if it is a notebook/netbook, make sure it has an HDMI output so you can attach to your television. The new televisions are coming out with HDMI inputs (looks like no more s-video connections) so if you want to play videos on your TV you will need it.

Don't waste a lot of money on the latest and greatest. I was using a duo core CPU with 4 GB of RAM with 32 bit Windows 7 Pro. My wife now uses it to play games and study English. I got a new nearly latest and greatest, quad core CPU with 8 GB of Ram and 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate. For the way I use it, the difference is hardly noticeable. It was really a waste of money.

You can buy a decent system for 10,000 to 15,000 baht. I bought my latest from;

http://www.invadeit....ry/desktop-pcs/

These guys speak English, offer great service and answer any questions you may have,

Good advice. This way you get generic parts than can be upgraded later. Avoid proprietary machines.

This thread has been useful to me as I really need to replace my laptop, it's five years old and is really showing it's age.

I hadn't realised that Thailand was relatively expensive for computers, have forthcoming trips to Singapore and Hong Kong, so do you think I should buy there? which place would be better?

Thanks

This thread has been useful to me as I really need to replace my laptop, it's five years old and is really showing it's age.

I hadn't realised that Thailand was relatively expensive for computers, have forthcoming trips to Singapore and Hong Kong, so do you think I should buy there? which place would be better?

Thanks

Thanks

Hong Kong
  • Like 1

Are the notebooks in KL in English with an English only keyboard?

Well erm English is their official whatsit

If you are wanting to build your own have a look at the pc configs section on http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/rmp_sg_whirlpoolpcs

YipYipYa123 is right about not getting fastest, all rounder system maybe a i5 cpu non k version, at least 4gig of ram or 8gig of ram(its cheap and worth it) and 1 tb to 2tb hardrive(prices have gone back down again since the floods).

yes it is Low Yat looked at the ad for Thailand it is 21000 baht KL s price was 12000 and better specs 1T harddrive 64 bit and windows home premium already installed faster processor too.... Acer Inspire

Yes is Low Yat...top floor higher u go the cheaper it gets

yes it is Low Yat looked at the ad for Thailand it is 21000 baht KL s price was 12000 and better specs 1T harddrive 64 bit and windows home premium already installed faster processor too.... Acer Inspire

Yes is Low Yat...top floor higher u go the cheaper it gets

Thanks

I

hadn't realised that Thailand was relatively expensive for computers, have forthcoming trips to Singapore and Hong Kong, so do you think I should buy there? which place would be better?

Thanks

Hong Kong

Thanks again, is there a particular area or shop where I should consider, I'm looking for somewhere or someone who will understand my needs and recommend a suitable bit of kit, not just offer an item that's overstocked.