Questions About Exchanging Money At Suvarnabhumi

engrin

I know that a bunch of banks have currency exchange booths at the airport. Do they use the same rates as the branches around Bangkok? Also, according to the web, Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank provide the best rates for selling CDN dollars. Do they have booths at the airport with those rates or is it better to visit a branch?

as seems to be usual for Pty-prnts response, it is not right.

ALL Thai banks maintain 1 or more booths at Swampy-most are (obviously, why ask) aimed at giving people THB for any foreign cash. As ALL banks-except the Kasikorn at Rail-level, have the very same rates there , it should be obvious to anyone with the slightest of brains these are thus diferent from in town-as they differ a little there. Note for US$: IN town there is a higher rate for medium/big notes-on Swampy only the lower rate for 1-2 US$ is offered-for any bill. Ony Kasikorn now offers slightly better rates as the monopoly, but still a little less as in town-though their rates in town also vary with location/rent-Sukh offers lower. To punish those many TV tipical tourists. But compared to like Europe or even the US, the difference is quite small, too less to call it rip-off (also a tipical TV response).

BUYIng foreign currency (like CND) is a matter of hit and miss-they will only be able to sell what they have in stock-what others have exchanged to THb in their shift before you come. As Canucks usually follow the advice of using ATMs -i do not give you high chances for high sums to even find it. US$ are more likely to be in stock.

Anyway: IF you aim at changing your hardly earned teacher savings, use a place in town-like Super Rich or Vasu. The have giant stocks and offer the best rates. If it is a particular high sum-then fone them advance so they hold it for you.

• Like 1

whistling.gifwhistling.gif

There are a number of banks with branches at Suvarnabhumi on arrival.

The rates are usually slightly lower than you will find by going directly inside a bank and changing money here in Bangkok...but often the same rate as you would get at those street side money exchange places you find next to a bank for tourists to lazy to open the door and actually go into the bank.

The rate difference isn't much however....but I usually only exchange enough at the airport for taxi fare and immediate expenses.

There is a money exchange place in the baggage area if I remember correctly, and after exciting immigration on arrival there are several exchange booths in the arrival area before you get your taxi or transportation.

On departure, when I'm buying dollars, I've found the rate very slightly better before you go through the departure immigration than the rate after departure immigration....probably because the banks know very well that once you go through immigration....you can't go back to change your money. So it's their lower exchange rate or nothing.

But, unless you're changing a large amount, the exchange rate difference usually isn't worth the trouble.

Vasu money exchange on Sukhumvit is the only way. Less hassel than a bank photo copying every bill you exchange and a higher rate by about 60 stang per dollar. The exchange rate between the airport and Vasu will be close to 80 stang, maybe even 1 bhat per dollar.

On $5000 dollars thats about B4000. For $100 change anywhere but always better at Vasu for hassel reasons and exchange rates. They also have the private exit if you exchange serious money.

Edited by rotary

asanee's post is the most accurate so far. Superrich has a slightly better rate than Vasu, unfortunately SR did not have enough to change all my money so I had to head over to the Bangkok Bank main branch as well. I got the feeling I cleaned them out as well as SR and we're not talking millions of baht here, was quite surprised at the general unavailability of CDN dollars in Bangkok. Will have a try at the airport when I leave to see how much they have if any at all.

Never use the airport banks to change money.

Always a baht or two lower than in town.

there are a couple of private money changers.

one in Sukhumvit soi 7/1 opposite subway.

Your talking Vasu and it is the skytrain as there are no subways on Sukhumvit. Yes Vasu is much better exchange rate than the airport and also better than the kiosk around sukhumvit. I have gotten a better rate there than at super rich.

TMB and SCB retain exclusive rights for financial services at SBIA. (Note there is at least one Muslim-bank affiliated exchange facility, on the B level, SARL train.)

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/indoor_map_bank_en.php

TMB and SCB offer different rates at SBIA vs. their other locations, buying USD for exactly 1 baht less than in town. I am not sure what the uplift is on other currencies.

Depending on the amount involved it might be better to exchange money in town, either at a bank or specialized exchange facility. Many people swear by Superrich at Rachadamri - two flavors:

http://www.superrich1965.com/

http://www.superrichthailand.com/

The former has retail outlets scattered about the city, with several in BTS/Skytrain stations, but they do offer a lower rate at these outlets.

For the absolute best rates most Thais go to less formalized money exchangers on Thanon Pradiphat.