Restaurant Alert

Greenside

Just wanted to bring this excellent restaurant to the attention of those who haven't had the pleasure....

It's called Ta Naam and it's by the river, 750m south of the Mahidol Road bridge on the side closest to Airport Plaza (it's on the map posted in the top section of this page). Beautiful building, an interesting selection of Thai food at reasonable prices and portions are generous. Average price over the three or four times we've been there is about 250 baht a head including drinks.

They have indoor and outdoor seating and are open from 11.00 - 2.00 and in the evening from 5:00. They are doing some work upstairs at the moment (and I suspect that they don't run a full crew in the kitchen at lunchtime during the week) so going in the evening is probably a better bet for the time being. Moo Hanglais and Gai Hors By Toey both highly recommended (although my spellings aren't).

There is a free car park opposite the restaurant.

i-xxJRPhk-L.jpg

No connection with this place but I hope it prospers because it's so nice!

Thanks for the recommendation Greenside and one good turn deserves another so I'll swap you. I was taken to a small "local" place in San Sai called "GJs". It's run by an affable Brit expat and his Thai wife and does truly great value food - fish & chips is 80 baht and is battered Tubtim, spagetti bolognaise is 70 or 80 baht, English breakfast (not tried yet) for 125baht, and lots of Thai dishes starting from the (street cart) price of 30 baht. As you can imagine, portions are not huge but are definitely adequate. Large Leo was either 60 or 70 baht.

GJs is on the 121 outer ring road close to the Tesco Lotus on the corner with the old 1001. If you came from town up the old 1001, take a left at the Tesco/121 junction, go about 250m and it is the second soi on the left (Ban San Khayom Soi 1) just past where the traffic island ends. Go left, down across a crossroads with a temple on your right and it's a few yards further on the left. I've no affiliation with this place and only met Graham (the owner) yesterday, but will definitely return.

I'll probably try Ta Naam tonight if I can find it - do you mean it's on Chang Klan road rather than Mahidol?

Cheers,

Pikey.

Edited by Pikey

My wife and I eat there once and we will never return.

Not only the food was from minor quality and partlial lukewarm nearly cold, also the servants were unkind and not interested.

Although the place is very nice on itself, without good food that means nothing to me.

Yes; AND it's fairly spendy; 250 baht per person you may manage with a larger group, but you'll spend more with 3-4 people. Even River Market may actually be cheaper, especially if you take portion size into account and the service and care and attention from staff; At Tha Nam everything is pricey, also a tiny plate of appetizers (like spring rolls, etc.)

I'm not saying it's an outrageous rip-off, but for the out of town location on Pa Daed road I think it's a bit much.

Unrelated issue exists for small children, as they don't have fencing to keep kids from falling 2 meters down on concrete near the river.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Ta Naam has been around for some time. Their previous location was on Changklan Rd along that stretch before you go under Mahidol Road. It's tremendously popular with Thai's and serves good fish. We eat there at least once a month and it's my partner's favourite place. The new place is much nicer with loads of parking opposite. My only gripe is that they bring dishes one at a time, with long gaps in between at times. They will bring the dishes together if you request it.

I guess your mileage may vary but Joop's experience certainly doesn't match any of the times I've eaten there. The staff have always been very helpful and, when not busy serving others, have taken the time to entertain our baby as well as keep the food and drink coming. I can't remember having any concern about dishes not arriving together but would agree that it's not toddler friendly if you're in the habit of letting them free range in a restaurant.

Pricey? Well, it's not bargain basement but all our meals have been for either three or four adults have come out less than the 250 guide price I mentioned including a large beer, Smoothy and water although we don't go in for dessert, coffee, brandy and cigars. In value terms I feel it's about the same as the Aero Club - maybe not the place to pop into for a quick lunch, but not exactly a major treat.

Thanks for the recommendation Greenside and one good turn deserves another so I'll swap you. I was taken to a small "local" place in San Sai called "GJs". It's run by an affable Brit expat and his Thai wife and does truly great value food - fish & chips is 80 baht and is battered Tubtim, spagetti bolognaise is 70 or 80 baht, English breakfast (not tried yet) for 125baht, and lots of Thai dishes starting from the (street cart) price of 30 baht. As you can imagine, portions are not huge but are definitely adequate. Large Leo was either 60 or 70 baht.

GJs is on the 121 outer ring road close to the Tesco Lotus on the corner with the old 1001. If you came from town up the old 1001, take a left at the Tesco/121 junction, go about 250m and it is the second soi on the left (Ban San Khayom Soi 1) just past where the traffic island ends. Go left, down across a crossroads with a temple on your right and it's a few yards further on the left. I've no affiliation with this place and only met Graham (the owner) yesterday, but will definitely return.

I'll probably try Ta Naam tonight if I can find it - do you mean it's on Chang Klan road rather than Mahidol?

Cheers,

Pikey.

First let me say a big thanks for dropping in to our place, we have only been open a few weeks and I am glad you like the food. My wife Jutaharat and I (Graham) hope to see more of you in the forth coming weeks at GJ's.

Cheers,

Pikey.

First let me say a big thanks for dropping in to our place, we have only been open a few weeks and I am glad you like the food. My wife Jutaharat and I (Graham) hope to see more of you in the forth coming weeks at GJ's.

Map please Gaham....

Going to take my 3 boys and the GF for dinner to celebrate father's day tonight to GJ's, Graham if you happen to see this can you confirm your open, if not we'll come find out for ourselves and hope you are and look fwd. to meeting you all.

@Graham

Let me remind you of forum rule 10) Not to post commercial spam or to post any promotional links, URLs or addresses to a member's own business or that would lead people to your site. Not to post URL links to other forums . Not to flood, post commercial or for-profit advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and similar solicitations. Any member who violates this prohibition will be banned from all forums on this website.Advertisers are the only members allowed to post links, URL's or addresses to their sites.

I just returned from GJs having had an enjoyable lunch there at a very modest price. It's easy to find; post #2 above gives adequate and accurate directions. I intend to make this a regular stop for a bite when I'm in the neighborhood.