No Alcohol In Pattaya After 6Pm

toenail

The law prohibiting the sale and distribution of alcoholic beverages will be in effect. This means that, by law, bars must be closed by 6:00 p.m. Saturday night, June 16 and remain closed until the election is declared over on Sunday, June 17. The “no alcohol rule” applies to all entertainment areas, including restaurants, although restaurants may remain open if they do not sell alcohol. It is also prohibited to give away free alcoholic beverages, even at private parties.

Story HERE

It's a place that we chose to live in and not one that chose us so I have no issue with whatever local ways we face. Past drunken clashes during elections led to these rules and we can debate them as much as we like but they are likely to stay in force. But then it is not hard to circumvent them if we really want to drink and prepare for the days that have plenty of advance notice.

You can complain and bitch till you're blue in the face but there is no chance of these alcohol laws being changed in the near future.

Yes, it is sad for those who are just in town for a short while and find their weekend activities curtailed, but there is nothing to be done, except stock up and drink at home or in your room, or travel to somewhere outside the election area boundaries to places such as the Darkside where all the bars will be open as usual.

As for the doomsayers who say that all these ‘booze-free days’ will seriously affect tourism; they should go and check on the numbers. The last I heard they expect more visitors than ever in Pattaya next year, and I don’t doubt it for one minute.

For every farang who gets pissed off and doesn’t come back, there are ten new ones to take their place.

It was ever thus in this wonderful, and sometimes frustrating little piece of heaven.

Not concerned about tonight( Sat.) but was planning to go to a restaurant Sun. evening, at about 9.00 PM.

Election should be over by then and they should be able to serve drinks with the meal at a guess?

Officially alcohol cannot be served until midnight on the 17th. But going by past election days, bars seem to open quietly around 9pm on the Sunday, then gradually ramping up their efforts until everything is in full swing by midnight!

You can complain and bitch till you're blue in the face but there is no chance of these alcohol laws being changed in the near future.

Yes, it is sad for those who are just in town for a short while and find their weekend activities curtailed, but there is nothing to be done, except stock up and drink at home or in your room, or travel to somewhere outside the election area boundaries to places such as the Darkside where all the bars will be open as usual.

As for the doomsayers who say that all these ‘booze-free days’ will seriously affect tourism; they should go and check on the numbers. The last I heard they expect more visitors than ever in Pattaya next year, and I don’t doubt it for one minute.

For every farang who gets pissed off and doesn’t come back, there are ten new ones to take their place.

It was ever thus in this wonderful, and sometimes frustrating little piece of heaven.

Your post had me cringing but I appreciate the dark side info...there's where I reside anyway.

*licks lips*

Like with so many other things, TIT and they are what they are. No need to agree, can find them unreasonable (I believe this one is), but unless you are given a chance to vote for a change on the rules - not unlikely, impossible - just live with it. It is not a case of "if you don't like it move somewhere else", it is part of life in Thailand.

It doesn't help tourists in the country, but I don't think it hurts tourism as such. Most would be visitors can't even imagine this kind of situation so once they are here they will have already spent a good amount of their money and will have to get the best out of their holiday. Obviously when they get back home this will be part of their story to tell friends, but it is not a reason not to come to Thailand, maybe to decide to go somewhere else instead, but I find even that difficult to believe.

This would be an issue for the government to consider one of these centuries, it would just make sense, but they quite clearly have many more urgent and important problems to deal with.

• Like 1

The law prohibiting the sale and distribution of alcoholic beverages will be in effect. This means that, by law, bars must be closed by 6:00 p.m. Saturday night, June 16 and remain closed until the election is declared over on Sunday, June 17. The “no alcohol rule” applies to all entertainment areas, including restaurants, although restaurants may remain open if they do not sell alcohol. It is also prohibited to give away free alcoholic beverages, even at private parties.

Story HERE

Translated into realityese: The lights will be off and the music very low or off as well. Beers will be served in foam wrappers. Business as usual for a lot of bars.

• Like 1

Story HERE

Rimmer what about the Hilton hotel.The bar on the roof will be serving ?

I could drink there until everything in walking street opens.

I am guessing we will be back to normal by 9pm tommorow night

Should keep the Bangkok hoardes away and the streets clear of traffic for a change.

Didn't work out that way. Roads were packed as usual even with most bars I saw closed. Ate at Manhattans and NO BOOZE!!! Just no fun without a glass of wine. Restaurant was empty.

Like with so many other things, TIT and they are what they are.

This is not a TIT deal. They have the same prohibition on alcohol at election time in the Philippines and there's probably other countries doing it too.

I think it is a fantastic idea. I wish they would extend it for the whole year. No drunks - no drunk drivers - now that would be heaven for me.

If you that desperate go into the Thai bars or mini marts, business as usual. Just applies to farang bars, although the one's near soi 9 said on Friday they would be serving as did a few in soi 8 so it seems farangs can now drink as well as the Thai's on no drinking days.

For the 1 farang thats leaves he is replaced by Indains and russians who dont contibute so much to the economy. The days of farangs comeing here hoards are over. Friday night i have never seen Pattaya so quite.

For the 1 farang thats leaves he is replaced by Indains and russians who dont contibute so much to the economy. The days of farangs comeing here hoards are over. Friday night i have never seen Pattaya so quite.

Are Russians not "Farangs"?

I think it is a fantastic idea. I wish they would extend it for the whole year. No drunks - no drunk drivers - now that would be heaven for me.

Yes, I'm all for prohibition. From what I've learned the undeground parties were excellent and none of them teetotallers in sight ruining the atmosphere. Where do I sign ?

DrTuner, the word "teetotaller" suggests abstinence from something good - that a non-drinker is abnormal. Twisted logic at its best.

It would be great if the drunks could party underground though - out of harms way.

Edited by tropo

DrTuner, the word "teetotaller" suggests abstinence from something good - that a non-drinker is abnormal. Twisted logic at its best.

It would be great if the drunks could party underground though - out of harms way.

So we agree on two accounts already, excellent. A good bender once in the while does wonders in cleaning up the useless memory cells in the brains and allows even more room for twisted logic.

As it is in Pattaya, the number of days in a year when the bars are closed must be around the same percentage as that of the non-drinkers here. So enjoy today, it's your day, I however may sneek a quick one from my hip flask as I have to attend a birthday party of the MIL organized in one of them dry watering holes.

As it is in Pattaya, the number of days in a year when the bars are closed must be around the same percentage as that of the non-drinkers here. So enjoy today, it's your day, I however may sneek a quick one from my hip flask as I have to attend a birthday party of the MIL organized in one of them dry watering holes.

Non-drinkers are a low percentage most places on earth and everywhere I've ever lived - of course that's not any indication that it's not a good idea. You'd have to agree that drunk drivers are not a good idea though, even if you love to drink.

Yes i agree.Drink driving is a selfish act.

Anyone know if the Hilton hotel will be serving alchohol after 8 ?

I know the rules applies to hotels to but still thought i would ask.

It would be nice to relax up on the 34th floor untill everything fully opened

Edited by Dongtanpatters