Farang Selling Durian.

maiphedmaiaroi

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a shame that some people still think the colour of your skin should have an influence on the job you do.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Very correct, unfortunatly I come from a country where being white means you are a second class. That's Australia. Jim

It is a shame that some people still think the colour of your skin should have an influence on the job you do.

Very correct, unfortunatly I come from a country where being white means you are a second class. That's Australia. Jim

You, Rosa Parks, Nelson Mandella.

Peas in a pod.

I think some people need to stop being so up their own arse!

If a farang wants to sell durian at a market and another farang wants to sell bloody cupcakes at a stall then let them! It doesn't even matter about their age or background! If the Thai people don't give a shit, why do you? Is it hurting your pride to think that a white person is lowering themselves to a working class level in Thailand?

Without knowing the background of why they were particularly selling at a market, you don't really have any leg to stand on and make a judgement. They could have had a work permit, they might own a business. They could be covering for a Thai friend etc etc. The reasons are endless and you'll never know unless you ask them directly.

If you were to take a poll, 9 out of 10 Thai's would describe these people as "farang kee nok".

Alien Working Act 2008:

Penalties applicable to foreigners working without work permits:

- fine from 2,000 baht to 100,000 baht, and/or

- imprisonment, and/or

- deportation

- prohibition from reentering Thailand.

If a farang wants to sell durian at a market and another farang wants to sell bloody cupcakes at a stall then let them! It doesn't even matter about their age or background! If the Thai people don't give a shit, why do you? Is it hurting your pride to think that a white person is lowering themselves to a working class level in Thailand?

Without knowing the background of why they were particularly selling at a market, you don't really have any leg to stand on and make a judgement. They could have had a work permit, they might own a business. They could be covering for a Thai friend etc etc. The reasons are endless and you'll never know unless you ask them directly.

If you were to take a poll, 9 out of 10 Thai's would describe these people as "farang kee nok".

Alien Working Act 2008:

- imprisonment, and/or

- deportation

Where you get those numbers from? most people i know would not think like that if they had a respectably tidy stall "farang kee ngok" is a stingy dirty like hippie. All though selling durian is quite odd the cupcake idea might be a hit.If you noticed Thailand is not so bent on small rules( mr meaner for a small stall don't think cops would waist there time) . And there are such people these days as Western-Thai. they are a Cambodian visa agent worst nightmare a westerner with a Thai passport.

A red nose might have an influence when applying for a job.

Alien Working Act 2008:

- imprisonment, and/or

- deportation

Most of the constitutional laws are tramped and over passed by corruption on a daily basis here

Why would this one be suddenly relevant ?

Alien Working Act 2008:

- imprisonment, and/or

- deportation

If someone stood around taking a poll on this, 99 out of 100 Thais wouldn't bother wasting their time to answer.

Working in Thailand without a work permit? So what? Who cares? It appears that a lot of people here have no business sticking their noses where they don't belong. Are they worried that some farang may earn a few baht?

Working in Thailand without a work permit? So what? Who cares? It appears that a lot of people here have no business sticking their noses where they don't belong. Are they worried that some farang may earn a few baht?

If you read the OP's post again, you will see the question, and issue, is not about farangs working without a work permit. It's about farangs working without without a work permit in jobs that are reserved for Thai's, "the kinds of jobs struggling Thai's do."

Farangs working illegally taking any baht, even "a few baht" from sustenance wage Thai's working legally is worrisome. That is why there are laws to prevent it. If you can not support yourself through legal means then you should not be here. Persona non grata. That goes for every country in the world.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 2

You, Rosa Parks, Nelson Mandella.

Peas in a pod.

Heard of that Nelson Mandela guy wasn't he the black guy who set up a state in Africa where all the wealth of the nation would be shared, thus removing poverty, crime and tribeible differences. An Aficran utopia.

Or was he the guy who spent most of his life in jail spouting Marx and had a wife who liked to tie petrol soaked tires to people necks, lite them and see how far they could run. Don't think I fit into either.

We should assume that the farang lady selling durian is on the fast-track Thai assimilation program that has been alluded to in jingthing's poll on the subject.

I recently saw a farang lad selling cup cakes at a concession inside the lobby at Tesco's UD Town branch in Udon. Maybe the same punter? Looked vaguely French and he wasn't there when I came back out.

Going a tad off topic, shouldn't a farang technically have a WP for going shopping? It is a low-skill job that he is depriving from a Thai after all. Isn't it?

I wish falang shopping was illegal and required a WP. I detest shopping but the Missus sure loves doing it. Her list is simple. She wants it all right now.

We should assume that the farang lady selling durian is on the fast-track Thai assimilation program that has been alluded to in jingthing's poll on the subject.

I recently saw a farang lad selling cup cakes at a concession inside the lobby at Tesco's UD Town branch in Udon. Maybe the same punter? Looked vaguely French and he wasn't there when I came back out.

Going a tad off topic, shouldn't a farang technically have a WP for going shopping? It is a low-skill job that he is depriving from a Thai after all. Isn't it?

I wish falang shopping was illegal and required a WP. I detest shopping but the Missus sure loves doing it. Her list is simple. She wants it all right now.

Have to say my version of hell is stuck in Tesco/Lotus forever shopping. Wife's version of heaven. Jim

"Who cares", well, I think people who have gone thru the hassles of getting a WP and see someone working without one. You could compare this to buying a genuine software compared to a fake/copied one.

"Who cares", well, I think people who have gone thru the hassles of getting a WP and see someone working without one. You could compare this to buying a genuine software compared to a fake/copied one.

Well as there is so much copy software in Thailand neither really matter to me. I aint selling durian or cupcakes and my software is genuine.

Now I could see someone getting really upset if he thought he was getting a woman and cupped a pair of testicles when he thought he was going to find something else.:o

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

If you read the OP's post again, you will see the question, and issue, is not about farangs working without a work permit. It's about farangs working without without a work permit in jobs that are reserved for Thai's, "the kinds of jobs struggling Thai's do."

Farangs working illegally taking any baht, even "a few baht" from sustenance wage Thai's working legally is worrisome. That is why there are laws to prevent it. If you can not support yourself through legal means then you should not be here. Persona non grata. That goes for every country in the world.

You may find it "worrisome", but that is your choice, remember those few baht are only passing through the lowly farang hands as they will spend them, it all just keeps the economy rolling. Nothing is being taken from anyone in this case, basic economics.

are their hassles for those with work permit less if the other one has to go through the hassles too? if yes, elaborate why?

You may find it "worrisome", but that is your choice, remember those few baht are only passing through the lowly farang hands as they will spend them, it all just keeps the economy rolling. Nothing is being taken from anyone in this case, basic economics.

If it makes you feel better to think that you go right ahead. You are free to delude yourself as much as you want. Nobody is stopping you.

You are all free to go ahead and work just like you see other people doing, and you will be taking the same risks they are by doing it. What part of that is unfair?

Are you bothered that they are willing to take the risk and you are not?

I have never seen this, but I have seen Farang selling 'cup cakes' at a Thai market.

I was impressed with the dignity they have standing there doing a job that is not allowed under Thai law.

Depends.

In the case of a farang woman, I believe she has all the rights of a Thai if she is married to a Thai.

I think the Thai authorties don`t bother too much about this because marriages between Thai males and farang females are so few and far between.

I think this is incorrect, I do not think a Farang woman can be selling fruit just because they are married to a Thai man.

Yes, you are correct to say “The Thai authorities don`t bother too much about this” but this doesn’t mean it's legal.

I personally think they should be ashamed of themselves, especially the Farang selling 'cup cakes' at the market. Geezz

I think they can because they get Thai Citizenship as soon as they marry a Thai man. With ID Card and passport. They can do everything a Thai can do.

Edited by maprao

Alien Working Act 2008:

- imprisonment, and/or

- deportation

would 9 out of 10 really say that ? Depends who you ask I suppose . and where you were . And who really cares what anyone else thinks . As I said in my previous post I really enjoyed my time on the market and no one ( to my face ) called me kee nok . Thais are very friendly people and we always had a good laugh . And if I was so kee nok why did loads of people try to get me to teach their children English ? maybe they thought I would be cheap ! who cares .

and how many people actually buy genuine software ?

Look at this from another angle , back in the UK every day I would see chinese selling DVDs round pubs etc , blatantly working illegally . Didn't bother me . I even bought some thus ensuring that they could continue to work illegally .

Sure taking risks is fair play, but personally I wouldn’t do it selling cup cakes or Durians, especially at a Thai market.

It's not a trade show.

it's just like Eastenders but in Thai , and you keep up to date in the latest Thai pop music . I've come across some good Thai bands as a result of my market days .

Alien Working Act 2008:

- imprisonment, and/or

- deportation

would 9 out of 10 really say that ? Depends who you ask I suppose . and where you were . And who really cares what anyone else thinks . As I said in my previous post I really enjoyed my time on the market and no one ( to my face ) called me kee nok . Thais are very friendly people and we always had a good laugh . And if I was so kee nok why did loads of people try to get me to teach their children English ? maybe they thought I would be cheap ! who cares .

I was actually going mention that my comment was not directed at you and what you described. My apologies.

Edited by NomadJoe

No, only 9 out of 10 of those Thais that are in the business of extracting maximum money from the farangs they target.

Many Thais I know may not be full of respect for farang with less money than we're "supposed" to have, but that doesn't prevent them from being kind and sympathetic, especially when they know he's the victim of the scammers among their countrymen, and has taken an honorable path to get by rather than becoming a scammer himself as so many do.

That very rude and offensive term - outside the scammer community - is generally reserved for not just relatively poor, but disheveled dirty hippie-looking, possibly drug abusing or alcoholic or otherwise morally reprobate characters.

I know farang out working in the rice fields, much less status than selling at the market, and people might chuckle but certainly don't insult him unless they're angry he's not a mark.