Speedo Problems

sierra01

My JRD motor cycle has just come back from the dealer to have an ongoing problem with the charging system sorted out, it's only the 8th time for the same problem!

Before it went in the speedo worked fine, now it dances around up to 50 kmh then it becomes steady again. I've checked both ends of the cable, everything looks to be in order and screwed up properly. Surely it can't be a worn speedo head, not after just 8,000km?

This isn't the first time the dealer has created more problems than the bike went in with either. It's not under warranty anymore, even though they're still 'trying' to fix the charging problem without cost to me.

I wouldn't worry about your speedo, you will be having much worse problems with it soon enough.

But you could check if they had the front wheel off that the gear arrangement is located properly and maybe put some grease in the top of the cable

Good Luck.

I've had the 'much worse problems' already Bung, 14 months old and spent probably 4 months of that in the garage, a list of problems as long as your arm, unbelievable dealer incompetence, outright lies from them, the whole 9 yards.

Never worked since new ABS system has led to fluid leaks from seals overtightened by the 'technicians', which lead to the paint coming off the rim, which led to a resprayed rim, which led to a dodgy speedo. I've checked both ends of the cable and all seems in order, properly located and well greased.

No non JRD dealer will touch it, no local garage will buy it, I'm stuffed. I'm going back to the UK in a few months so I reckon it'll just rust away sitting at the inlaws house.

I know that's what's going to happen, I've told myself that I will never ever buy anything even remotely connected to JRD ever again, and that includes their poxy alloy wheels! I'll stick to Yamaha, Honda etc.

My inlaws live about 40km north of Korat, well out in the sticks, and are quite poor, once it goes wrong again, and it will, they won't be able to get it repaired so it'll just quietly rust away.

The worst Speedo problem is the one I have seen on the beaches of Pattaya and Jomtien.

:o

I know that's what's going to happen, I've told myself that I will never ever buy anything even remotely connected to JRD ever again, and that includes their poxy alloy wheels! I'll stick to Yamaha, Honda etc.

My inlaws live about 40km north of Korat, well out in the sticks, and are quite poor, once it goes wrong again, and it will, they won't be able to get it repaired so it'll just quietly rust away.

Before it went in the speedo worked fine, now it dances around up to 50 kmh then it becomes steady again. I've checked both ends of the cable, everything looks to be in order and screwed up properly. Surely it can't be a worn speedo head, not after just 8,000km?

I'm baffled. :D

The only thing that I can think of is that when it jumps to 50kph, maybe that is the correct speed that you're actually doing. And that perhaps when it drops or levels out at something lower, it's because something is worn or not connected properly like the worm drive, thereby causing it to mostly give out a false reading.

Maybe something causes it to intermittenly engage properly to give an accurate reading of 50kph?

At what speed does the needle jump from when it shoots up to 50?

The cable is properly engaged at both ends, and greased. Up to 50kmh the needle rises 'normally', but it isn't a smooth rise, it's a jerky rise. Once it gets to about 50kmh it smooths out and is perfectly ok. The same with slowing down, it's ok down to about 40-50kmh then goes jerky again. It can't be worn out, it's only done 8,000km, but it is a JRD so it wouldn't surprise me!

I'm baffled. :D

The only thing that I can think of is that when it jumps to 50kph, maybe that is the correct speed that you're actually doing. And that perhaps when it drops or levels out at something lower, it's because something is worn or not connected properly like the worm drive, thereby causing it to mostly give out a false reading.

Maybe something causes it to intermittenly engage properly to give an accurate reading of 50kph?

At what speed does the needle jump from when it shoots up to 50?

NAAH Your wrong there I think it's just the turbo kicking in when it hits full boost.LOL :D