Contaminated Food May Have Killed Canadian Sisters: Phi Phi Island

webfact

if the hospital on phi phi is full of people with "food poisoning", and now have died 4 already - we know of, then its about time to issue a travel warning...

the sick people should think anyway about a refund of their hospital bills by the authorities...

because they should have been warned about problems with the wastewater plant and the pipings on the island...and the overly used dung on phi phi for the mushrooms, this cow dung is a main culprit for the deadly ecoli bacteria...

the first fatalities were in 2009? - and chiang mai is certainly related, with the american women dieing after doing nothing more than showering and swimming in pool of the infamous guesthouses...

with this information, its pretty likely, that it is something very deadly in the water...

you may play the "psycho"-music, when stepping under the shower in phi phi...

nobody should use tap water for teeth brushing...

Edited by dingdang

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is terrible, 12 pages in we don't know anything. I read back a bunch but not all of it.

My initial feelings were some kind of liberal use of poisons to combat rats/insects that the girls somehow ingested, impossible to say of course and just speculation.

Reading all that magic mushroom stuff from a few pages back I can understand a guide giving them to travelers as that's the kind of thing travelers want. I remember being up in the North of Laos many years back and near enough everyone there just wanted a hit on the pipe in the hills.

I assume Mellow Mountain is still open in Haad Rin down South, they used to do Mushroom Shakes so this stuff happens but they do it all the time, I assume nothing untoward happening in Haad Rin full moon after full moon related to mushroom shakes.

Why on earth would people put ground up mossie coils in the shake to pass it off as shrooms? I mean the dangers of that, no one wants their customers falling ill, surely you'd put something else in or nothing and tell people that was a bad batch. I just struggle with the ground up mossie coil thing, seems bizaare

shrooms , is that a Yiddish word ? smile.png

This is terrible, 12 pages in we don't know anything. I read back a bunch but not all of it.

My initial feelings were some kind of liberal use of poisons to combat rats/insects that the girls somehow ingested, impossible to say of course and just speculation.

Reading all that magic mushroom stuff from a few pages back I can understand a guide giving them to travelers as that's the kind of thing travelers want. I remember being up in the North of Laos many years back and near enough everyone there just wanted a hit on the pipe in the hills.

I assume Mellow Mountain is still open in Haad Rin down South, they used to do Mushroom Shakes so this stuff happens but they do it all the time, I assume nothing untoward happening in Haad Rin full moon after full moon related to mushroom shakes.

Why on earth would people put ground up mossie coils in the shake to pass it off as shrooms? I mean the dangers of that, no one wants their customers falling ill, surely you'd put something else in or nothing and tell people that was a bad batch. I just struggle with the ground up mossie coil thing, seems bizaare

shrooms , is that a Yiddish word ? smile.png

saai.gif

again.. that report came from here http://www.thebackpa...es/thailand/86/

also here http://fullmoon-part...how.php?id=1044

I took one on 1st August 07 and almost died. I puked about 50times and had to go to the hospital in order to save my life. Unfortunately two nice girls took that shake too, I was too late with my advice not to take it. I wonder if they had the same experience as me. They went their own way after I scared them how I feel..

From my research and what a Thai man told me is they probably put crushed up mosquito coils inside. My heart felt like someone would tear it out from my body. It is unlikely that this was caused only by the mushrooms.

Edited by Jayman

Autopsy on Canadian tourist sisters available in 2 weeks

BANGKOK, June 20 - The autopsy of two Canadian sisters found dead last in an Andaman Sea tourist resort hotel room will be released within two weeks, according to Ramathibodi Hospital's Forensic Department.

Noemi and Audrey Belanger, aged 26 and 20, were found dead by a room attendent on the tourist resort island of Phi Phi in Krabi province last Friday.

Police chief Pol Gen Wicharn Priewnim said the autopsy yesterday took three hours, with samples of tissue and blood being taken.

Krabi police initially believed the two girls had been dead for at least 12 hours when their bodies were found and that they may have been the victims of a toxic substance.

No evidence of murder was discovered, but personal items and Ibuprofen tablets of 400 grammes were found.

Gen Wicharn said the girls' bodies were now available to the family for religious ceremonies. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-06-20

'Krabi police initially believed the two girls had been dead for at least 12 hours when their bodies were found and that they may have been the victims of a toxic substance.'

Why would anyone want to poison two innocent girls .....

This must have been an accident ...... and until the cause is found 'What are the local authorities doing in the area to protect other tourists ..'

BANGKOK, June 20 - The autopsy of two Canadian sisters found dead last in an Andaman Sea tourist resort hotel room will be released within two weeks, according to Ramathibodi Hospital's Forensic Department.

Noemi and Audrey Belanger, aged 26 and 20, were found dead by a room attendent on the tourist resort island of Phi Phi in Krabi province last Friday.

Police chief Pol Gen Wicharn Priewnim said the autopsy yesterday took three hours, with samples of tissue and blood being taken.

Krabi police initially believed the two girls had been dead for at least 12 hours when their bodies were found and that they may have been the victims of a toxic substance.

No evidence of murder was discovered, but personal items and Ibuprofen tablets of 400 grammes were found.

Gen Wicharn said the girls' bodies were now available to the family for religious ceremonies. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-06-20

Nearly 0.5kg of Ibuprofen tablets.....how many is that ?.....dont believe this quantity for a minute....but interesting to see the BiB are still trying to persue this line...

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-06-20

Nearly 0.5kg of Ibuprofen tablets.....how many is that ?.....dont believe this quantity for a minute....but interesting to see the BiB are still trying to persue this line...

It's obviously a misprint and should read 400mg

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-06-20

OK...so how many tablets...could be 4 X 100mg could be 1 X 400mg, could be 2 X 200mg tablets...the point is, this info keeps being published and appears to be a red herring from the BiB

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-06-20

Are you sure. Or they might put the spin on it, that it was the other 600 gm, read 6/10ths of one kilogram, the girls consumed that fatal night, that caused them in, the eyes of Thai, a slight problem.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-06-20

Are you sure. Or they might put the spin on it, that it was the other 600 gm, read 6/10ths of one kilogram, the girls consumed that fatal night, that caused them in, the eyes of Thai, a slight problem.

6/10ths of 1kg ?...you must be american....go and work out how many tablets 600gms are....they havent consumed 600gms irrespetive of how the BiB spin it....their girls stomachs would be full of tablets and in addtion it was reported that there was vomit all over the room therefore there would tablets in the vomit...

Even if the room is cleaned up and ilegal substances removed an autopsy by a good professional should still find the cause. This is yet another serious case in Phi Phi. I hope the truth comes out.

For things to have gone this wrong it looks like there was some serious foul play. For one person to die by themself like this in a room would be understandable. Two people is very suspicious. It's hard to understand how they couldn't have raised the alarm or gone for help. They must have both rapidly deteriorated and they probably became delirious. The condition they were found in sounds like more than a bit of experimentation with some drugs.

With so many forensic experts on this forum I'm surprised one of you doesn't head down to Phi Phi to investigate.

Well two of them have already talked about flying to Phi Phi to offer their help. laugh.png

Fly? To Phi Phi? Perhaps to Phuket. Well, did they go? Talk is cheap.

In the meantime it seems the authorities are taking the matter very seriously and handling things professionally.

The deceased are to be transferred to Bangkok for autopsy, presumably the relevant forum members have been invited to attend.

I look forward to reading their reports. clap2.gif

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-06-20

ibuprofen comes in mg (milligrams or .001 fo a gram). The pills they found were obviously 400mg and not 400 grams.

'and until the source of the poison is found .....What are the local authorities doing in the area to protect other tourists ...'

Did another tourist die with the same symptoms?

'and until the source of the poison is found .....What are the local authorities doing in the area to protect other tourists ...'

Oh for God's sake !!! How are the tourists in the next room feeling? And the one's upstairs? All fine? Are they washing up dead on the beaches? No !!!! And at breakfast yesterday, were all the other tourists fine? How many tourists are at Phi Phi?

Help Help ! The sky is falling !!!!

• Like 1

“and Ibuprofen tablets of 400 (milli?) grammes were found”

And? What has this got to do with the deaths? Next we will hear they OD'd on headache pills!

So, 400mg?..........".A dose of 1,200 mg is considered the maximum per day for over-the-counter use, though, under medical direction, the maximum amount of ibuprofen for adults is 800 mg per dose or 3200 mg per day."

I think we can conclude the 'headache' tablets are not to blame.

'Oh for God's sake !!! How are the tourists in the next room feeling? And the one's upstairs? All fine?'

Well I don't know and neither do you .. and I would not take my family anywhere near the place until the source and cause has been found .....

Food poisoning .. what is being done .. have restaurants been closed ..are tourists being advised

Speaking of breakfast did you see the photos from that hotel ..sick.gif

............The thought occurred to me that if the girls had ingested anything that they believed to be illegal, e.g., magic mushrooms, then fearing the legal consequences might explain why they never attempted to leave their room to get help when feeling so ill.

My thought too. Hard to explain why one of them wouldn't have sought help unless they were fearful of other consequences.

Have just returned from a remote part of Isaan alongside the Thai border.

My host had to rush an elderly Thai woman from the next house to the hospital seriously ill.

Upon admission the doctors establisheed she had been like all the locals in eating mushrooms.

That was diagnosed as the cause of her sudden illness.

She recovered but during my 10 days 6 Thai people died out there with the diagnosis of mushroom poisoning.

This was from a population of about 100,000 within the hospital catchment area.

It is sad what has occured with 2 Candian ladies but Thai people are dying also.

But why some die and others do not is a mystery because I also ate the mushrooms while out there. Possibly sickness only kicks in with an overdose or maybe a combination of foods act on mushrooms.

I am not suggesting or finding that the Canadians died because of an encounter with mushrooms , but just stating that death seems very common in this country.

"We planned to send the bodies for post mortem at Surat Thani Hospital because Krabi Hospital has no forensic doctor. However, so far, we have been unable to move them because their relatives and the Canadian Embassy representative who came to Krabi did not allow us to do so," the director said.""

Big Thumbs Up for the family, yaayyyyyy!!

"...did not allow them to do so." Say WHAT??? I find this hard to believe because the Thai authorities are legally, ethically and medically obligated to conduct autopsies--no matter how screwed up/tainted the results turn out.

Take this a step further...If two Thai sisters died under these (same) circumstances in, say, Vancouver do any of you think the Canadian government would allow their relatives and Embassy officers to spirit the victims out of Canada WITHOUT autopsies being performed???

If this happened in Canada or US, I would think the investigation would have occurred on day one and we would likely already know the cause. Wouldn't matter if they were Thai or US.

• Like 1

............The thought occurred to me that if the girls had ingested anything that they believed to be illegal, e.g., magic mushrooms, then fearing the legal consequences might explain why they never attempted to leave their room to get help when feeling so ill.

My thought too. Hard to explain why one of them wouldn't have sought help unless they were fearful of other consequences.

Discussed 10 pages back. The body's will to live is very strong and seeing sister dying would over ride concern what Thai doctor may think of you if you ate mushrooms being served to many. They were probably over come very quickly by something.

If one goes in and read the reviews, on www.asitewecantmention.com about the "hotel" they stayed in....the first two reviews are seriously complaining about bedbugs, bugs, mosquitos etc...

Maybe the rooms had a good thural spray of the nastiest crap, the housekeeper could find - lets get some good conspiracy theories going here! rolleyes.gif

Oh for God's sake !!! How are the tourists in the next room feeling? And the one's upstairs? All fine? Are they washing up dead on the beaches? No !!!! And at breakfast yesterday, were all the other tourists fine? How many tourists are at Phi Phi?

Help Help ! The sky is falling !!!!

All fine except for hospital full of sick people and the one girl who came forward trying to get off the island. Sounds like paradise to me

“and Ibuprofen tablets of 400 (milli?) grammes were found”

And? What has this got to do with the deaths? Next we will hear they OD'd on headache pills!

So, 400mg?..........".A dose of 1,200 mg is considered the maximum per day for over-the-counter use, though, under medical direction, the maximum amount of ibuprofen for adults is 800 mg per dose or 3200 mg per day."

I think we can conclude the 'headache' tablets are not to blame.

I was given 2 800s or 2 600s every 6 hours once in the hospital. Motrin very innocuous

6/10ths of 1kg ?...you must be american....go and work out how many tablets 600gms are....they havent consumed 600gms irrespetive of how the BiB spin it....their girls stomachs would be full of tablets and in addtion it was reported that there was vomit all over the room therefore there would tablets in the vomit...

Owsitgoinmate ? ...you must be american....No I am not, I'm Aussie, but not necessary proud of the fact, due to the number of Bogans that come here. The last one pretty much sums it up.

http://www.thaivisa....ort-in-phuket/. The aussie Hon. Con. is totally pissed of also.

What I am trying to point out is that, do we believe statements by this noob, Police chief Pol Gen Wicharn Priewnim as true fact.

Or that that the news sources that we are only allowed to read on this forum to use in our judgement of the truth, are so blatant in misinformation. Correction of any misleading errors never happens due to the stupid loss of face syndrome.

Facts that tends me to think we are regarded as a flock of sheepels.

Of course I don't think for a moment the fuzz walked out with near 1/2 a f****n kg of Ibuprofen. the photos published if to be believed show that. That amount in packaging would be 2 Lotus bags full. At the moment I have 10 for breakfast so as to speak, no prob.

What I am trying to get across here is the incompentence of the toy Thai police and those that repeat their statements, in the matter of the suspicious deaths of at least two seemingly innocent victims.

We as visitors under whatever umbrella, deserve the truth, plain and simple...............That's All.

typos

Edited by sportsman69
  • Like 1

Here the morning news of Quebec!

http://tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/infos/faitsdivers/archives/2012/06/20120620-082318.html

---Google Translation---

TVA News has learned that according to Thai media, video surveillance of the hotel where the sisters Bélanger show a man who will turn them back to their room the day before the gruesome discovery, and exit. This was said Richard Fillion, a Quebecer who lives in Thailand.

The man, a Portuguese, was actively pursued by the Thai police.

It seems that some people had found then that the two women did not feel very well.

The body repatriated tomorrow

The body of Naomi and Audrey Belanger will be repatriated to Canada Thursday.

"It's a relief terrible," says the uncle of the victims, Eric Belanger. The family would also like to thank the Canadian Embassy for repatriation so fast.

An autopsy was performed Tuesday at the funeral. But Bélanger received no information about the results and will likely wait a few weeks to learn more.

Another autopsy will be performed on Canadian soil.

Initial quoting above, but I do agree that the inability of Thai officials or anyone Thai to understand basic concepts such as whether Inuprofen is administered in doses of mcgs, mgs, grams or kgs makes me question their brain power.

I know Thai lawyers are woefully undereducated, anyone know how many total years of college and residency are required for doctors educated in Thailand? Just curious if some silly like 4 or 5 years total?