Thailand State Railway Time Schedule - Estimated Arrival Time Not Realistic

KED

I travel often between Bangkok and Chiang Mai and mostly fly because the fare is so low - but occasionally, I take the train. I have taken the train over 6 times and not once has the train been less than 2 hours late on arrival. I don't have a tight schedule, so the late arrival doesn't affect me, and now I anticipate the delay. However, why doesn't the SRT add more time to their estimated arrival time? I have also taken the train up to Udon Thani and Nong Khai and have also experience late arrival by around two hours.

It seems more realistic that the arrival time should be more reflective of the actual arrival time.

Edited by KED

so true.....at least a couple of hours delay to Butterworht and to Suratthani on separate occasions and one hour delay from Suratthani to bkk.

If this can be of any consolation it has also happened on the Butterworth to KL (Malaysian Railway) but not sure if this is as much recurring as in L.O.S .

TiT and TiM.

I have been down to Surat many times and have to say it's rarely been an issue, perhaps 30 minutes from time to time. I am never on a tight schedule either and prefer the independence of the train, sitting there having a drink and a bite to eat. Can't stand bus travel these days [/getting old]

State Rail systems are generally run by diinterested bureaucrats and run by staff that couldn't care less. As they could rarely also be run privately at a profit that is what you get, they eventually get there.

Before they manage to get a proper 2 track line (not to mention 4 tracks for Hi-Speed and local trains) we will see 8 lane two level highways. They don't give a hoot. The crooks, who are building these highways, which last a couple of years at most, make billions on that. And have a look at the "improvements" in the bus stations, which are all buit far away outside in the middle of nowhere, without proper connections to the cities. Well done by the Taxi mafia.

One day Thai people will hopefully realize that "Mai pen rai" is not the right way to archive human conditions for plain people in this country. The BTS is just "same same but different"!

Edited by frankwth
  • Like 1