Converting From A Non-B To A Non-O (Thai Spouse)

I'm currently in Thailand on a 1 year multiple entry Non-B (Business) visa with in/out trips required every 90 days - although I'm NOT currently working.

I have however, worked in Thailand before and so am familiar with the process of applying for a 1 year extension from immigration and then keeping this in sync with your work-permit (requiring a small mountain of paperwork).

I'm also recently married to a Thai national.

There's also a chance I will be working again soon - and I believe it is now possible to apply for a work-permit while on a Non-O (Thai Spouse) visa - hence my desire to convert to a Non-O.

My question is whether anyone believes it would be possible to apply for a Non-O (Thai Spouse) and 1 year extension all in one go at immigration over on Chaengwattana? (assuming the minimum finance, or income requirements are met). I'd effectively be showing up at immigration with a Non-B, but applying for a 1 year Non-O (Thai Spouse) extension.

Will this work?

Or would it be better/easier/simpler to use up my Non-B first and then apply for a Non-O (Thai Spouse) in Savannakhet or elsewhere as described in the forums - and then apply for the 1 year extension when I'm back in Thailand on a Non-O.

Thoughts?

If you can qualify financially for Thai Wife extension of stay you should apply during the last 30 days of your non immigrant visa entry. You just want an extension of stay for Thai wife - not a non immigrant O visa.

You do not change visa, rather as you your self say ask for an extension of stay and simply give as reason being married to a Thai national. Many people do that.

You can ask for the extension during the last 30 days of any entry. You can wait till the visa is finished, but don't have to. What ever is more convenient for you.

Living here for more than 20 years I can tell you only about my own experience:

a) next time you've to apply for a new visa (abroad Thai Embassy) do it under Non-O (Money in the bank of course, as you stated, family papers etc).

B) Enter to Thailand, stay here and then apply for a 1-year visa at the immigration office before your current (the new Non-O) is expiring (at least 3 weeks before)

c) Once you've got it, that's it, don't have to leave the country, if you have to on other reasons, don't forget to get your Re-Entry permit (single or multiple) before leaving Thailand

d) Do the renewal at your immigration office for 3+ consecutive years without any interruption and apply then for Residency

It's not difficult at all, generally spoken.

To have a Non-O visa is much better than a Non-B visa because it's reason to stay is different (family, child) and you still get a work permit in case you work again, absolutely no problem.

Cheers and good luck

Thanks everyone for the replies. Great - and understood on all counts.

Does anyone know if being employed locally on a salary greater than 40,000 Baht would meet the income requirement for the 1 year extension of stay (for being married to a Thai national). If it does then I'm assuming proof of income would come from my employer, and not from my Embassy or anyone else. Correct?

Does anyone know if being employed locally on a salary greater than 40,000 Baht would meet the income requirement for the 1 year extension of stay (for being married to a Thai national). If it does then I'm assuming proof of income would come from my employer, and not from my Embassy or anyone else. Correct?

Yes correct Waters, you don't need to change from Non-B to Non-O only because you are married, just apply for a 1 year "internal" extension at your immigration office (locally) But if you want to change your status (from Non-B to Non-O) you have to leave the country and apply abroad for this kind of visa.

To get all the correct paperwork together just pass by your local immigration office and ask for the list of required documentation, they'll hand it over to you.

btw, I'm always wondering why most of you guys ask these questions in this forum and don't bother to ask the immigration office?

Edited by beach

Living here for more than 20 years I can tell you only about my own experience:

a) next time you've to apply for a new visa (abroad Thai Embassy) do it under Non-O (Money in the bank of course, as you stated, family papers etc).

cool.png Enter to Thailand, stay here and then apply for a 1-year visa at the immigration office before your current (the new Non-O) is expiring (at least 3 weeks before)

c) Once you've got it, that's it, don't have to leave the country, if you have to on other reasons, don't forget to get your Re-Entry permit (single or multiple) before leaving Thailand

d) Do the renewal at your immigration office for 3+ consecutive years without any interruption and apply then for Residency

It's not difficult at all, generally spoken.

To have a Non-O visa is much better than a Non-B visa because it's reason to stay is different (family, child) and you still get a work permit in case you work again, absolutely no problem.

Cheers and good luck

Nonsense, you don't apply for a visa in Thailand except as part of the extension process, and he can apply for a one year exension of stay based on marriage wih a Non-Immigrant "B".

Proof of income from within Thailand will mean recent papers from the tax office, showing that you did pay your taxes.

Proof of income from within Thailand will mean recent papers from the tax office, showing that you did pay your taxes.

Which the OP might not have as he is just about to start work.