Has Anyone Got Travelers Cheques In Thailand Before?

Razzler1973

Odd question but in the Middle East you can't get travelers cheques now so was wondering if anyone has got them actually in Thailand before?

I am gonna guess 'no, why would we' but it's just odd Middle East anywhere they don't supply them (something to do with fraud). It's most impractical and American Express office is miles away in BKK IIRC so wondering if anyone would be aware if money changers provide them at all?

Back in the day I purchased travelers cheques at the Bangkok Bank Silom branch. Take the escalator up from the ground floor and turn right. About 5 employees in on the right row of employees was an employee who would sell travelers checks. Note that I haven't purchased travelers checks for a number of years.

Back in the day I purchased travelers cheques at the Bangkok Bank Silom branch. Take the escalator up from the ground floor and turn right. About 5 employees in on the right row of employees was an employee who would sell travelers checks. Note that I haven't purchased travelers checks for a number of years.

Thats a yes for Bangkok Bank but not sure which branches but a check of website will confirm.

Edit.

Just had a look at Bk Bank website and it says to bring passport and air ticket when purchasing travellers cheques from International Branches.

They do them in various currencies.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by MB1

I got $US cheques. Easiest currency to use worldwide in my opinion.

I had the option of sterling if I wanted.

Didn't get hammered at all on exchange, not sure what will happen once I arrive at my destination though lol.

I am not a fan of using an ATM card overseas or drawing money on a credit card. Old Skool, prefer to just take my money but as safely as possible and the Middle East does not like issuing traveler cheques now for the last few years. I'd imagine they'll die out at some point with credit cards, etc and the banks love that, don't they, constant repeated charges for using your own card/money :/

• 4 weeks later...

MBI writes that BKK bank issues TCs, and that one must bring one's airline ticket. What do you think is the purpose of this restriction? Hong Kong or Singapore banks I doubt would. He also says that the bank website reads that one can get them in multiple currencies. Does anyone have experience purchasing USD1000 AMEX TCs in Thailand or elsewhere?

Hi

I am a long time visitor to BKK from Australia

I also don't use ATM as the charges are herendius.

I bring AMEX cheques in AUD bought in AUS, I try to get $200 cheques as cuts down on cashing costs.

They are becoming harder to get, 2 weeks to order in. There were not the usual 1.1% charges to get them this time.

I would say they are trying to faze them out as more money to be made forcing you onto ATMs.

Cash does have it's safty issue so the cheques help spread the risk.

aussiep