Settlement Visa - Common Sense Or Rules Only?

Hello everyone, a quick question for the smarter and more experienced posters than myself. I have applied for a settlement visa and am still waiting for the outcome. However although the UKBA state that all documents must be originals we could not submit the chanuts (title deeds) because we are trying to sell our property and need them as part of the buying / selling process. I put this information in a letter saying that we took the originals to VFS for them to see and then pass forward the copies to the Embassy. I also noted that this is how the British Honorary Consul in Jomtien works for notarial services. If you show them the original but leave them a copy they will still do the job. They just stamp it something like 'original seen'.

So the simple question is, "Have I shot myself in the foot, or will things be ok?". Obviously our property constitutes a considerable part of our financial argument.

Steady

Common sense should prevail. If they insist on seeing it, then they will contact you. If common sense doesn't prevail, and the application is refused for that reason alone, then the refusal decision will be overturned at appeal if you produce the original. The original of a copy submitted at application cannot be considered "new evidence". In addition, if you are applying for a settlement visa for your wife, then it doesn't really matter if she owns land in Thailand or not. You are the one who has to show maintenance and accommodation in the UK.

Common sense should prevail. If they insist on seeing it, then they will contact you. If common sense doesn't prevail, and the application is refused for that reason alone, then the refusal decision will be overturned at appeal if you produce the original. The original of a copy submitted at application cannot be considered "new evidence". In addition, if you are applying for a settlement visa for your wife, then it doesn't really matter if she owns land in Thailand or not. You are the one who has to show maintenance and accommodation in the UK.

Thanks for the quick and knowledgeable reply. It settles my mind whilst we are in the 'dead zone' just waiting for an outcome (maybe I should avoid these forums for a couple of weeks).

On a more general note I would like to say a big thank you because every time I have posted a query VisasPlus have always given me the information or clarity about how to progress my situation. Keep up the good work!

Steady