Power Cut Causes Flight Delays At Both Suvarnabhumi And Don Mueang Airports

Lite Beer

<deleted>, is going on in this country ???? most things here do not affect me, I do stay clear. BUT I do bash when needed, and now is another one. AOT, super authority running Swampy, what a record of problems here in 6 years, is this in the G/book of records????

Please over the top Thai lovers don't give me B/SH#t about it can happen anywhere-or any lame dog pig sick excuses. This is serious for a HUB, as is /was the other problems. 6 years old---runway/taxi-way probs from day one. A poster said it was normal wear and tear for a very busy airport--CRAP.

I am amazed at the incompetence of officials in all departments, including the P.M. Any excuses to the monkey's will do (they think)but if this carry's on someone will have to walk. Having said that I wonder if TAT will call AOT and say please don't spoil our record figures for BKK and Thailand. 1 word PEWK

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's going on in this country? Well, those of us who live here more than a year or two know pretty well. To me, it's actually a constant surprise that things do work as well as they do here. I would rather expect that any complicated piece of machinery or a complex organization do stop working very soon after it inauguration. So, the air-planes should actually be falling out of the skies quite regularly, the trains should collide at least once per day, even big department stores go out of business and definitely airports shall be out of action most of the time. The government apparatus, the police, the justice system are completely dysfunctional after all. Or, some may say, they operate in a funny way.

The backup power supply for the radar wasn't working? Absolutely unacceptable. What a half-arsed sorry excuse for an airport.

Anyone want to take a bet on whether the back up had been tested or not?

Safety firtst all over Thailand!!!!

SUVARNABHUMI AIRPORT

Urgent meeting today after radar system mishap

The Nation

30184708-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Transport Ministry will convene an urgent meeting today, following the unexpected 1-hour disruption of the radar system at Suvarnabhumi Airport which affected a number of flights yesterday.

As the system is linked with that one at Don Mueang Airport, no flight could land or depart from both airports during 6.15-7.12 pm. Of total 8 arrival flights affected, four were diverted to U-Tapao airport in Rayong. After refilling at U-Tapao, the six flights returned to Suvarnabhumi. Departure flights were delayed by more than 2 hours.

It was reportedly that the radar system was disrupted by a brief power blackout, while the subsidiary power source could not be activated.

In his radio interview to FM101 today, Transport Minister Jarupong Ruangsuwan said that officials at the meeting would find out what really happened to the radar system.

He noted that it was fortunate that the mishap occured and was solved before 10pm, the busiest period for Suvarnabhumi Airport.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-22

In Thailand the aircrafts do not need to have any fuel reserves, and I do not think they carries any single liter more than usually necessary for the normal flight. SAFETY FIRST !!!!

any one there qualified ( extensive training in thailand) to push the test button on the ups on a regular schedule ?

I would advise against any Thai pushing any button on a system that is currently working stable.

Except the self distruct button in Parliment, the police department, the military, and AOT....then we can start all over and bring this country back to where it once was.....gets more disgusting everyday hit-the-fan.gif

SUVARNABHUMI AIRPORT

Urgent meeting today after radar system mishap

The Nation

30184708-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Transport Ministry will convene an urgent meeting today, following the unexpected 1-hour disruption of the radar system at Suvarnabhumi Airport which affected a number of flights yesterday.

As the system is linked with that one at Don Mueang Airport, no flight could land or depart from both airports during 6.15-7.12 pm. Of total 8 arrival flights affected, four were diverted to U-Tapao airport in Rayong. After refilling at U-Tapao, the six flights returned to Suvarnabhumi. Departure flights were delayed by more than 2 hours.

It was reportedly that the radar system was disrupted by a brief power blackout, while the subsidiary power source could not be activated.

In his radio interview to FM101 today, Transport Minister Jarupong Ruangsuwan said that officials at the meeting would find out what really happened to the radar system.

He noted that it was fortunate that the mishap occured and was solved before 10pm, the busiest period for Suvarnabhumi Airport.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-22

In Thailand the aircrafts do not need to have any fuel reserves, and I do not think they carries any single liter more than usually necessary for the normal flight. SAFETY FIRST !!!!

You are being stupid to suggest that

The backup system at a major international hub airport in a country totally dependent on tourism and exports wasn't functioning. The alternative airport radar system at Thung Maha Mek was working, but no staff available to operate it. Very sad commentary on Thailand.

]In Thailand the aircrafts do not need to have any fuel reserves, and I do not think they carries any single liter more than usually necessary for the normal flight. SAFETY FIRST !!!!

Yeah right. I'm sure no matter how much contempt some folks hold Thais in I very much doubt that a Thai pilot if frigging thick enough to get on a plane with just the exact amount if fuel to reach his destination without any in reserve to reach an alternative airport in the case of an emergency.

I'm a nervous flyer anyhow ( something to do with not being in control ) but as my wife quite rightly pointed out the pilots want to get to their destination in one piece just as much as my " sweaty-palmed gripping the armrests shitting myself at the slightest clunk or mild turbulence" arse.

Suvarnabhumi's 'uninterruptible' power supply disrupted

Theerapol Khumsuk

The Nation

30184738-01_big.jpg?1340407211494

BANGKOK: -- The radar problem affecting Suvarnabhumi Airport's airtraffic control services on Thursday evening was caused by a malfunction of the airport's Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) system, Aeronautical Radio of Thailand (Aerothai) said yesterday.

Aerothai president Squadron Leader Prajak Sajjasophon told the press conference that the UPS system malfunctioned because of a short circuit in a capacitor. As a result, the electricity supply for the airtraffic control services went dead for 30 minutes while a backup radar that uses the same UPS system was also down.

The company implemented an emergency plan using nonradar and radio communications to control air traffic instead. However, this reduced the company's flighthandling capacity, resulting in delays to some 50 flights, he explained.

Thirteen flights were diverted to other airports (six to Utapao, two to Chiang Mai, two to Phuket, two to Kuala Lumpur and one to Siem Reap). Twenty flights had to wait at the airport, with the longest waiting time being 105 minutes for a TG140 SuvarnabhumiChiang Rai flight, while another 15 already in flight were put into holding patterns, the longest being Qatar Airways flight 617 from Ho Chi Minh, which was held for 71 minutes. Aerothai managed to find the cause of the problem and fix it within 30 minutes, Prajak said.

Deputy Transport Minister Chatchart Sitthipan said the problematic devices were replaced by new ones. In order to prevent a recurrence, Aerothai would separate the UPS and radar systems in use on the fourth floor of Aerothai's building from the backup set on the sixth floor, which would be done by August, he said.

Transport Minister Jarupong Ruangsuwan said the incident showed that the airport's airtraffic control safety level was still high, and caused only inconvenience for passengers. The minister apologised to the public and the affected passengers for the "unavoidable" inconvenience, adding that a factfinding committee was set to determine if the problem stemmed from faulty equipment or human error within 15 days. The related agencies would produce a handbook with guidelines for use in emergency drills.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-23

I doubt we will ever get the true story, maybe related to inferior or counterfeit equipment:1989: A counterfeit bolt installed on the tail assembly of a Norwegian Convair 580 aircraft caused the death of 55 passengers and crew members as the plane crashed whilst flying from Norway to Germany.2002: The Italian law enforcement authorities discovered a big counterfeit airline parts ring that was selling substandard and unapproved parts to different airline companies. The unapproved parts were sold with falsified documents to state their airworthiness.http://counterfeitin...php?sec_=C&c_=6

There is a long history of counterfeit airline parts which are unapproved and substandard being sold to unsuspecting airline companies. The US have discovered a lot of fake products showing up in their navy and airforce aircraft. Going back to the 1970s the Federal Aviation Administration found counterfeit systems in Boeing 737 aircraft.In 2008 airline parts were reportedly found on sale at online consumer auction websites offering gears, flanges, gauges, radar parts and valves to buyers. Russian police have discovered criminal operations producing and selling civil aircraft parts. Back in the 1980s United States investigators discovered bogus spare parts in numerous helicopters in service in with NATO forces.Boeing recently reported that parts like rivets, nuts and fluid bolts are components which are easily replicated and sold. Other electronic components like semiconductors, resistors, capacitors, electronic assemblies, pumps, actuators, batteries, integrated circuits and materials such as titanium and composite chemicals are also commonly counterfeited.Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/5420203

Edited by Rainmon

(Snipped)

There is a long history of counterfeit airline parts which are unapproved and substandard being sold to unsuspecting airline companies. The US have discovered a lot of fake products showing up in their navy and airforce aircraft. Going back to the 1970s the Federal Aviation Administration found counterfeit systems in Boeing 737 aircraft.In 2008 airline parts were reportedly found on sale at online consumer auction websites offering gears, flanges, gauges, radar parts and valves to buyers.

I doubt that the problem was fake parts. To use fake parts, you need to do maintenance. I think the lack of maintenance is the core factor.

I am not excusing this screwup, but power blackouts occur at airports around the world and in the west,

Sept. 8, 2011, power blackout shut down SanDiego Airport for almost 12 hours. (Other airports also closed such as Yuma, AZ)

September 29 2011 power outage affecting runway lighting shut down Mexico City's international airport overnight , diverting dozens of flights. This is Latin America's busiest airport.

June 20, 2012 Ben Gurion Airport, Israel had to close for 20 minutes when power went out.

18 Mar, 2012, John Wayne Airport closed for an hour due to power blackout

23 May 2012 Mumbai shuts down for 1 hour due to power failure

30 July 2011 Power shutdown disrupts flights for almost 2 hours at Sydney's Airport

As I say, it's not an excuse, but it happens, more often than we think.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

I doubt we will ever get the true story, maybe related to inferior or counterfeit equipment:1989: A counterfeit bolt installed on the tail assembly of a Norwegian Convair 580 aircraft caused the death of 55 passengers and crew members as the plane crashed whilst flying from Norway to Germany.2002: The Italian law enforcement authorities discovered a big counterfeit airline parts ring that was selling substandard and unapproved parts to different airline companies. The unapproved parts were sold with falsified documents to state their airworthiness.http://counterfeitin...php?sec_=C&c_=6

There is a long history of counterfeit airline parts which are unapproved and substandard being sold to unsuspecting airline companies. The US have discovered a lot of fake products showing up in their navy and airforce aircraft. Going back to the 1970s the Federal Aviation Administration found counterfeit systems in Boeing 737 aircraft.In 2008 airline parts were reportedly found on sale at online consumer auction websites offering gears, flanges, gauges, radar parts and valves to buyers. Russian police have discovered criminal operations producing and selling civil aircraft parts. Back in the 1980s United States investigators discovered bogus spare parts in numerous helicopters in service in with NATO forces.Boeing recently reported that parts like rivets, nuts and fluid bolts are components which are easily replicated and sold. Other electronic components like semiconductors, resistors, capacitors, electronic assemblies, pumps, actuators, batteries, integrated circuits and materials such as titanium and composite chemicals are also commonly counterfeited.Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/5420203

counterfeit parts and OEM part are not the same.

I am not excusing this screewup, but power blackouts occur at western airports.

Sept. 8, 2011, power blackout shut down SanDiego Airport for almost 12 hours. (Other airports also closed such as Yuma, AZ)

September 29 2011 power outage affecting runway lighting shut down Mexico City's international airport overnight , diverting dozens of flights, according to officials. This is Latin America's busiest airport.

June 20, 2012 Ben Gurion Airport, Israel had to close for 20 minutes when power went out.

But did the radar switch off in these power cuts out did the ups kick in to keep it running? Fairly fundamental bit of kit for airports

I don't think this was a power black-out, was it? There was no power failure in the main terminal buildings, was there?

If there was a power blackout for nearly an hour, I think this would have gotten widespread coverage earlier than it did.

I am not excusing this screewup, but power blackouts occur at western airports.

September 29 2011 power outage affecting runway lighting shut down Mexico City's international airport overnight , diverting dozens of flights, according to officials. This is Latin America's busiest airport.

But did the radar switch off in these power cuts out did the ups kick in to keep it running? Fairly fundamental bit of kit for airports

Many of North America's airports have radar system failures. That's due to their age. Canada requires a massive investment since many of its systems are out dated. Off the top of my head, there was a big screwup at YYZ when the radar went down in March of this year. back up systems didn't work. The YYZ system was fairly new.

I am not excusing the failure, but it happens.

I don't think this was a power black-out, was it? There was no power failure in the main terminal buildings, was there?

If there was a power blackout for nearly an hour, I think this would have gotten widespread coverage earlier than it did.

Well, these airports are supposed to have backup systems etc. Something is terribly wrong when an airport goes black. It doesn't matter if its radar only, any failure at an airport is unacceptable. Fire control systems, such as detection and alarms are impaired. Security can be breached, Tarmac tracking systems disrupted etc. Try landing an airplane without the ground monitor system and no runway lights.

• Like 1

Thailand probes radar blackout at main airport

Bangkok, June 23, 2012 (AFP) - Thailand has launched a probe into a radar blackout at its main international airport, a minister said Saturday, after the incident threatened to tarnish the nation's image as a regional aviation hub.

Fifty flights were delayed or diverted as the radar went down at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi airport on Thursday for half an hour, forcing Transport Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan to make a public apology and order the investigation.

Local media reports said air traffic controllers used radios to guide planes manually during the radar blackout, which occurred after back-up power supply failed.

"Although we agreed it's a technical issue... to regain public confidence I have ordered setting up of panel headed by Transport permanent secretary and academics to carry out investigation," Charupong said.

Speaking on a weekly programme on state-run television he said engineers tried to use a spare battery to maintain the power supply but could not prevent the thirty-minute loss of radar.

"Flights were delayed for an average 30 minutes to 70 minutes and 13 flights diverted to other airports," he said, apologising to those "affected and inconvenienced.".

The company operating the radar system at Suvarnabhumi and other airports, said flights were diverted to Chiang Mai, Phuket, Kuala Lumpur and Siem Reap in Cambodia.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-06-23