Any Good American Managed Bars In Pattaya

michaelpeitou

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Plenty of well managed bars in Pattaya, amongst some poorly managed ones.

Not sure the nationality of the owner/manager has much to do with it

It has quite a lot to do with it actually IMO,I prefer to go in bars where I have something in common with manager /owner and prefer to go in British/Irish run bars co run with Thai.

I tend to stay away from German bars in Naklua as in the past I've been treated as an outcast and I don't like to see people with iron crosses or swastikas tattoed on Germans or people making Nazi gestures.

It's all about preference IMO.

In the Made In Thailand complex which is between 2nd road and soi Buakow opposite Viewtalay 6 condo is Good Time Bar which is owned by friendly Ron from Vancouver, Canada. The signage has a Canadian flag. Free pool, free wifi, pretty staff, and cheap frosty beer. Open from 3pm until late. Ron is a very nice guy and his staff have been loyal which says something. He's always up for a game of pool but he's not that good. ;)

post-149387-0-01961900-1340363659_thumb.

post-149387-0-91185500-1340363660_thumb.

Have you ever seen a bar in Pattaya with a yank flag on it? lol. I've seen UK flags, swiss flags, danish flags, etc. But no yank flags.

Americans sure don't get out much..

I sometimes go to Uk & Swede bars as that's my heritage. Do they mind? I don't care.

Have you ever seen a bar in Pattaya with a yank flag on it? lol. I've seen UK flags, swiss flags, danish flags, etc. But no yank flags.

I sometimes go to Uk & Swede bars as that's my heritage. Do they mind? I don't care.

It's a loooooong way for an American to come here. It takes me, door to door, about 28 hours. America is a huge country. If you're cold up in Minnesota, head to any number of places in the south where it's warm. Or, go to Hawaii, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico...or any Caribbean island just an hour or so south of the US. So there's just not as much need for them to travel all the way over here...or even outside their country. Florida has some stunning beaches.

Plus, what is an American? My next door neighbor who is Filipino? The other neighbor who is Mexican? Down the street who are from India, China, Japan, etc, etc? Or my good friends who are second generation Italians? The US really is a melting pot of nationalities.

Not indifferent to Australia really.

It's a loooooong way for an American to come here. It takes me, door to door, about 28 hours. America is a huge country. If you're cold up in Minnesota, head to any number of places in the south where it's warm. Or, go to Hawaii, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico...or any Caribbean island just an hour or so south of the US. So there's just not as much need for them to travel all the way over here...or even outside their country. Florida has some stunning beaches.

Plus, what is an American? My next door neighbor who is Filipino? The other neighbor who is Mexican? Down the street who are from India, China, Japan, etc, etc? Or my good friends who are second generation Italians? The US really is a melting pot of nationalities.

But Australia doesn't get that cold! I use to live in Minnesota. The winters were brutal...

Except for the 28 hour travel time and the outback you have in Australia.

Craig has a point on what is an "American" anymore. The stereotypical WASP profile no longer fits. The US has become one of the most culturally diverse countries on the planet in the last 20 years as it relates to the number of nationalities which have emigrated.

But Australia doesn't get that cold! I use to live in Minnesota. The winters were brutal...

Agreed, although we are now into our skiing season in some states, so cold enough. Admittedly it probably doesnt get under the -10's... unlike you guys and Canada.. Not sure how I could handle the -20's +++ lol

Canberra was -6 the other evening, the desert colder.

Edited by edwinclapham

Agreed, although we are now into our skiing season in some states, so cold enough. Admittedly it probably doesnt get under the -10's... unlike you guys and Canada.. Not sure how I could handle the -20's +++ lol

Canberra was -6 the other evening, the desert colder.

Easy to handle when you are young! Not so easy as you get older. -20C or so is not unusual in many northern states in the US. Crazy cold.

I lived in Vegas off and on for many years. Sounds like about the same weather as Canberra. Very little snow, but the nights drop below freezing in the winter. Hotter than heck in the summer.

• Like 1

HI, are there any good American managed bars in Pattaya or Jomtien? Thanks

Try secrets and ask for Larry.rolleyes.gif

Is Larry out of gaol yet ?...yes try secrets but google it first for latest info .

I agree with you my friend. I dont get all this nationalism and segregation amongst us foreigners here in Thailand. It seems like everyone looks at AMERICANS as the bad guys for some reason. SO just so you all know, I LOVE everyone equally and I dont come from any particular country. I am a citizen of the World..

I have found us Americans to be surprisingly well represented here. Not that many visitors, but quite a few expats.

I believe the reason why you don't see many American flags and things like motorcycles and helmets and such painted with the stars and stripes like you do the union jack, Australian flag, etc is the amount of anti-American sentiment you see. Having a motorcycle painted with the stars and stripes, for example, would be considered tacky, and it would probably also be vandalized.

I think another factor is that there is a difference in how common the display of uber-nationalism is between the US and most countries. I am always surprised at the amount of nationalism I see displayed by groups of countrymen. Painted faces, matching clothing with country's colors, chanting of mantras etc. Americans don't really do that, perhaps because we don't often directly compete against other countries in sports. To most Americans, there is America, and then there is everything else. The average American doesn't give much thought about other countries, so no need to display our nationalism to others. As you say, we don't get out much.

• Like 1

Can't believe I forgot about Leo's Blues Bar! He is a fantastic person. One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Was there last night and the usual group of folk were there. Quite a few Americans. Many are musicians as Leo lets them play when the house band is on break. Stop on by and introduce yourself. He's got a regular following so you'll see the same people there quite often. Not sure where Nathan is from, but he's also a fantastic person. There every night. Leo is usually there Wed through Sunday....or so...

Leo's is in Nakula:

https://www.facebook.com/leoblues.barpattaya

"Having a motorcycle painted with the stars and stripes... would probably also be vandalized."

Agree.

"Painted faces, matching clothing with country's colors, chanting of mantras etc. Americans don't really do that..." Whaaat? Y'oughta watch an NFL or NBA game some time.

"...perhaps because we don't often directly compete against other countries in sports."

Wow, wrong again. Olympics, World Cup, Ryder Cup... the list goes on.

"To most Americans, there is America, and then there is everything else. The average American doesn't give much thought about other countries, so no need to display our nationalism to others. As you say, we don't get out much."

IMHAO (in my humble American opinion) this is way, way off-base. It may, in fact, be true about the poster, but it's definitely an incorrect over-generalization about all Americans, especially those living abroad.

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but nearly all the Americans I know, who live abroad, coexist pretty darn well with the other nationalities around them exactly because of the thought they give to cultuiral differences between peoples. I feel this "sensitivity" comes naturally, as part of our upbringing in the U.S., the world's largest melting pot.

BTW, at last check, the percentage of American farangs living in the greater Pattaya area (GPA) was hovering at around 6%. Not many Americans here anymore.

Whenever I see a flag on display outside a bar no matter what the country i cringe.

Agreed, but I do enjoy the display inside a bar of an American flag-styled bikini on a hot go-go dancer. I mean, if she's dressed at all. smile.png

Edited by JSixpack

You don't see many American Flags flying because, well, a lot of countries harbor some discontent towards American polictics. One of the reasons you don't see as many American Bar businesses in Thailand as you might see bars owned by British or other countries is I think because of the US tax laws. The American Tax man (the Internal revenue Service (IRS)) has a very long reach. Income earned anywhere in the world is in general required to be reported. Personal versus Corporation taxation can be a pain when a single owner/individual is involved.

Whenever I see a flag on display outside a bar no matter what the country i cringe.

Agreed, but I do enjoy the display inside a bar of an American flag-styled bikini on a hot go-go dancer. I mean, if she's dressed at all. smile.png

Yeah..bikini's are common. Saw one at the beach today..on a Russian. lol

Plenty of well managed bars in Pattaya, amongst some poorly managed ones.

Not sure the nationality of the owner/manager has much to do with it

It has quite a lot to do with it actually IMO,I prefer to go in bars where I have something in common with manager /owner and prefer to go in British/Irish run bars co run with Thai.

I tend to stay away from German bars in Naklua as in the past I've been treated as an outcast and I don't like to see people with iron crosses or swastikas tattoed on Germans or people making Nazi gestures.

It's all about preference IMO.

Personally i go into a bar to drink and play, i certainly do not go into a bar to annoy the owner or manager. Just because you feel you have something in common, it does not mean that the owner or the manager feels the same waywai.gif

Let me try again for you then in reply to your smart ar*ed reply.

I prefer to go in bars where I KNOW AND have something in common with the manager/owner....

My freinds bars....

Good for you that you go into a bar to drink and play.

I like to go into a bar to drink and when I've had my fill I finish and pay but only pay for drink......